It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: post detox
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:26 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

This questions doesnt pertain to me, but is about my girlfriend, its been three weeks since she stopped taking suboxone and I've noticed she has no emotions what so ever. She doesn't get angry, happy, or have an opinion, she also mentioned she doesnt feel anything for her parents, me, or her friends. Is this normal? She started at 14mgs of suboxone and tappered down to 1mg within one year. The physical aspect of the detox appears to be gone. This is probably in the wrong category :\ so im sorry. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: post detox
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:26 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Sounds like PAWS. Perfectly normal. I have been told paws can cake a couple to several months, low energy, no motivation, depression, no emotions, etc. same thing I'm kinda going through right now but I keep telling myself otherwise. No I'm just confused about what I feel (if anything) lol

Hang in there and stay supportive. It'll be over soon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:04 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thankyou for the reply. This post was obviously for self serving purposes as I dont want our relationship to just die. Is there anything I can do aside from being supportive? Also what does PAWS stand for?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:31 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

PAWS stands for Post Acute Withdraw Syndrome. It's like the stuff that happens after the acute withdawal wears off (the dope sick feeling). I think it's like when your brain slowly gets back to normal. I think it's mostly the lack of endorphins. Opiates make your brain use more or produce more endorphins, and that's what makes you high. It makes it make many many more endorphins than what your brain could ever possibly normally make on its own. After you use opiates for a long time, your brain stops making them because it thinks the medicine will come in and make them. So it takes a few weeks until your brain starts making them on its own again. Endorphins are what give you the motivation to do stuff, and what makes you happy, and have euphoria, and get excited. I know people say that during PAWS you can help get your brain to release endorphins by exercising. Also, laughing helps produce endorphins. There are other ways too, I bet some more people will have some ideas or you could Google it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:28 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I personally would stay very supportive and aware of HER needs. It's a tough time right now, and its one of those things time needs to heal. It's not her or her fault she feels this way, as stated above it is the brain literally learning how to make its own endorphins and dopamine again....and not only does the brain have to make those, but its also got to recall or remove all the extra receptors it had put in place to handle all the extra the opiates made...

Oh I also hear chocolate helps and sex...but I wouldn't bring up the sex unless SHE did. I think that's mostly a guy thing lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey partyboy,

Welcome to the forum!!

I'm not sure if what your girlfriend is suffering from is PAWS or not, but if it is PAWS, Dr. J. (the fella who started this forum) has posted that the brain usually requires up to 12 weeks to make new receptors. During this time of the brain repairing itself, your girlfriend will more than likely experience a lot of ups and downs. Be patient.

Also, depending on her addiction, she may transition from PAWS into a state I call, "how the fuck do I live without drugs?" Learning to live without drugs and be happy is a challenge for many of us new to recovery. You may want to check out some recovery type programs such as NA, AA or SMART. Better yet, she may benefit more by working with an addiction counselor.

Good luck to both of you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:50 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Romeo,

Both of us are in AA and NA ( however she is more an addict) and she just completed CDRP. I have nineteen months and she has one year. From what she has told me, her drug use was strictly Oxy and she lied about the level of usage in order to get a larger dosage of suboxone. I'm keeping a watchful eye on her from a distance, but realize I cant force her to be clean. She has been going to bars and clubs the last three nights in an attempt to feel happiness. Hopefully she doesnt fall off the wagon :\

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I don't know if this will help or not but when I'm not on my suboxone I feel exactly the same way. I feel nothing like I'm walking dead. As soon as I start taking my suboxone again I want to talk to people be involved in things I enjoy life all together. This is one reason I thought I could never stop taking pain killers. I really thought I needed it to function more than to get high. Thats why it concerns me taking suboxone because I don't feel anything when I'm not taking it. I love my women to death but if I'm not on my suboxone its like I can't feel anything for her but I know in my mind that I don't want to be without her. I would also feel like I needed to go out and drink or do something to help me feel better. Like I said I love my girl but when I'm trying to find something to make me feel better inside its hard to care for anyone and thats why I think I will be on suboxone for a long long time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:14 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

You know I had that for a while were I just felt like I didn't know who I was without the drugs it does take a while for ur brain to repair mayb that would be a good way for u to explain to her although she may feel like she feels nothing right now she needs to look at it like things are being repaired. For her and this is really hard for the person who isn't going thru it but all the support u can give her will help when I was feeling down and no emotion or any motivation my husband would do whatever he could to help he could tell when I just needed to b left alone and just lay around and watch tv and b emotionless and then there were times where he knew I needed to get off my butt and do something he wasn't mean about it he just suggested stuff he was always giving me a pep talk b4 work and after work & I have to tell u that when I get home from work that is when I am the tiredest my subs would always get me thru but with out them it was hard to still do all the things I did on the subs I am not wonder mom anymore & I am ok with that I don't have to be its not expected...ok sorry so I am rambling now anyways just show major support u came to the right place for advice lots of great people who know lots of great stuff.....Good luck let us know how its going!!!!