It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have court in 7 days . My next suboxone appointment is the day after court . I have 6 8mg strips left . There is a chance I will be going to jail but I'm not positive. It's in Baltimore County . Possession of CDS (heroin) is the charge . This will be my second charge . The first one was in Baltimore city. The second in Baltimore county. I'm not sure if it's too late , but I need to taper in case I will be going to jail , I don't believe I can have my suboxone while incarcerated . Right now I take 6-8mg per day . Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated . I'm not sure what to do but I don't want to go through bad WD's in jail . Oh and by the way . This is my first post ! Joined last month . Thanks !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:21 pm 

Hi Started 6, Welcome! I would think that if you are prescribed suboxone legally that the prison would have to make sure that you have the medications you are currently taking. If they dont, I would say that I am depressed and in need of treatment. I know our jail has mental health social workers and a Psychiatrist on staff. Good luck! I hope that it all works out for you!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the response . I looked into the jail , they don't allow suboxone or methadone . I'm wondering if I have enough time and medication to do a one week taper . I have exactly 7 days til court

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Anyone else have advice ? I'm running out of time and getting nervous . Is it even worth it to try a taper with only 7 days to go ? If so any suggestions on taper schedule would be awesome . Again I go to court next Wednesday , one week from today , and I have exactly six 8mg films left .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Cut to 4 mg a day now, 2 a day the last two days (you really don't want to show up in court in withdrawals. Dose at the door step and get ready (mentally) for the ride. It sucks but survivable. One of my favorite people just did a 13 day stint in the local jail and had to jump from 20 mg a day.
will your doctor prescribe some gabapentin? That can help. At least around here you can't expect much help from medical in lock up. Have a plan, come out and get right back on the SUB. Don't USE.
In Minnesota we have 87 counties, 2 allow MAT to continue, 10 I am aware of that do not, the rest I am not sure but since most of them are rural they would not.

By the way - welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the reply . I def won't use when I get out . I'm not sure if I'll be going to jail or not or how much time I might be getting . I will drop to 4 mg today , just took 2mg at 6:30am . Take another 2 at noon . I can't get gabentine my doctor has no openings between now and my next appointment (the day after court). The Baltimore city jail has MAT (methadone/sub) but I'm 99% sure the county jail does not . I live in va and court in Baltimore md. I HATE withdrawals . And the thought of going through it in jail is horrible .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Would you consider contacting the ACLU or Legal AID when you get out? Sure seems that anyone forced to go through withdrawals could sure make a case for cruel and unusual punishment, and denial of medical care. Sometimes the only way to get change is to hit them in the pocketbook.
good luck to you,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:49 pm 

Hi, I can only speak to what happens here in NJ. If you are on prescribed medication they must make it available to you. If not, I would threaten that you are going to hurt yourself. That will get you the care that you need. I know it does here. I hope it is the same in Maryland!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the suggestion . Def something to consider . However I'm sure in this area many many people have withdrawn in jail . And I'm wondering how many people have complained about it and go no results or change , def something to think about though . I will look into it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:18 pm 

There are laws! I am just not sure if they are federal or state. Here, we have mental health social workers and if you are in withdrawl they advocate for appropriate treatment and that is not going through withdrawl while in prison. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you . I'm not sure either . But I've spent a night or two in Baltimore jail before . And trust me , inmates well being is the least of their concern

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:08 pm 

I don't know about anywhere else but the jail in my county (I've been there 5 times bk in my using days unfortunately lol) they won't give u suboxone regardless if u have a script. It's the most unfair thing ever! I've withdrawn in jail many times, which I never had a script, but even the one's that did...they didn't get it. So I really wish that would change because it's unfair. There's other places out there I've heard that will actually give u methadone if ur in withdrawal, which is awesome. But not all are so lucky unfortunately. I wish u tons of luck and hopefully it won't come to u pulling jail time. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:29 pm 

I would play the suicide card! I am sorry if that offends anyone but it is just so wrong to deny people their prescription medications while in prison! We had a young man who was arrested for unpaid parking tickets pass away while in custody in county. He had mental health issues and was addicted to heroin. It was very sad! His family sued and won! He had no psych meds and was in withdrawl. He stopped breathing and by the time they got him help he was dead. They now have an assessment done before being locked up and everyone gets the medications that they are prescribed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I wish they would do that here. It is totally crap that they can deny ANY meds

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:21 pm 

I agree Michelle, and that doesn't offend me, I say do whatever u have to to get relief from suffering. It is the most ridiculous thing ever. There needs to be changes in these places that just let addicts lie there in withdrawal like we're caged animals. I'm pretty sure zoo animals get treated better than the humans in the county jail where I live. It's pathetic to be that way, and for what reason ya know? Why make ppl suffer?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I agree on playing that card in hopes that it might work . Honestly they will probably just put me in confinement or the psych ward and on suicide watch . I had a friend play that card once and instead of releasing him when he was supposed to be released , he was immediately transported to a mental hospital and put on suicide watch with no visitors until he was "mentally stable" , all the while in severe methadone withdrawal , luckily suboxone is not supposed to be as bad as methadone but I'm not sure . I've never ran out of suboxone since I started it

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

docm2 wrote:
Cut to 4 mg a day now, 2 a day the last two days (you really don't want to show up in court in withdrawals. Dose at the door step and get ready (mentally) for the ride. It sucks but survivable. One of my favorite people just did a 13 day stint in the local jail and had to jump from 20 mg a day.
will your doctor prescribe some gabapentin? That can help. At least around here you can't expect much help from medical in lock up. Have a plan, come out and get right back on the SUB. Don't USE.
In Minnesota we have 87 counties, 2 allow MAT to continue, 10 I am aware of that do not, the rest I am not sure but since most of them are rural they would not.

By the way - welcome to the forum.

This is Belinda--I just joined the site today. Dr.M you are the kindest man I know. I've been reading some of your posts and replies. You truly care about people. I hope I'm one of your "favorite people." :) Best doc in the world!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:49 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

How long do you anticipate being incarcerated? It is too late to decrease your tolerance and you can't do much of a taper. If you anticipate only a few weeks in jail, I would have a much buprenorphine on board as possible. Fewer days to serve while in withdrawal. Best luck with court and hoping you court doesn't give you any time.