It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:58 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Please be kind I'm new here. If this isn't the right thread I'm happy to post in another one if someone could direct me I'd really appreciate anyone helping me and offering advice and insight.
A little background, I'm 26 and 28 weeks pregnant with my second child. I've used drugs my entire life but 8 years ago got pregnant and quit everything until my son died from sids in Dec 2007 (yes I know this doesn't justify me turning to drugs) so I've been on opiates for 8 years now. 2 years ago I decided to go the suboxone route as the methadone didn't help me because I was still getting high on it and wanted my dose just to be high. I've been clean since being on the sub I am NOT at risk for relapsing while pregnant. I've wanted desperately a baby since my son died I've battled infertility for all these years. We've never stopped trying to conceive and I stupidly thought I'd just quit if I ever did conceive but lost all hope of getting pregnant. 
Fast forward to now I wanted to quit but got the whole it will kill your baby to quit while pregnant spill. I believed and justified it to myself for this whole time but I'm now panicking and desperately wanting to taper off safely for baby Aiden above all.
Please note I do not judge anyone! I can completely see why a lot of women choose to stay on it while pregnant but for me personally I'd like some advice and insight. Both of my Dr's are against it I'm not asking for medical advice here just advice on people who have done more research and have experienced this. I think my sub Dr just wants my money every month and my ob thinks I'll relapse. So please can anyone offer insight? I'm scared I keep hearing the last trimester is the worst to taper, but will it really kill my baby?? If I don't feel withdrawals then he doesn't right?? Or could he feel them but I dont? Does Anyone Have advice? 
Btw, I was on 12 mg but suddenly wanted to get off of it ASAP (I was already pregnant when this happened but didn't know yet) so I actually quit smoking my ecig and went from 12 to 8 mg on the sub. I went from 8 to 6mg around 15 weeks and I've been sitting at 6 for awhile. 3 days ago I went from 6 to 4mg of the subutex a day. I take 2 mg early morning n 2 mg around 3pm.
I'd it realistic to hope and try to keep coming down this far along in pregnancy? 
Can anyone recommend a taper plan as I have a feeling the jump from 4 to 2 will be hard. 
Should I stop the second I feel withdrawal or can the baby handle mild withdrawals?
Btw I know it's safer to stay on its just for me and losing my son when he was 3 months old I do not want to possibly have to dose this miracle baby not to mention cps and I just want him to have the best start.
Thanks to anyone who took the time to read all this I know I'm probably too late

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:39 pm 

Hi SC, Welcome! Unfortunately, I don't have experience in this area other than trying to help women I have known going through this. I do believe it is best to stay on suboxone until the baby is born. You can taper down as low as you can without going into withdrawl. Once the baby is born they will do an assessment to determine if he is addicted and will work to keep the baby as comfortable as possible. From what I have heard, the biggest problem can be with the hospital staff! I wish you all the luck! I am sure that someone who has actually experienced this will reply soon. Good luck to you and Aidan! ( one of my fav Irish names!)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'd be very careful with tapering off while pregnant. In fact, it's strongly discouraged not so much because of risk of relapse, but because opioid withdrawal can induce miscarriage. This is a real risk, and is the main reason why women stay on their medication throughout pregnancy.

Look at it this way. You can withdraw off suboxone now and your baby will still go through withdrawal. The only difference is the withdrawal will happen with your baby still inside you. It's much safer for your baby to experience some withdrawal after the birthing, where it can have better medical help if needed, than to go through it in utero where there's a risk of miscarriage.

I understand your desire to reduce your dose so your baby doesn't do it too hard once it's born. But coming off entirely is risky in my opinion. If you really have your heart set in coming off Suboxone while pregnant, then please be very careful, and reduce very slowly. Only jump off a very low dose, like 0.1mg. But if you ask me, it isn't worth the risk.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:15 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you both for taking the time to reply! I actually did read that thread of momtobe and I was shocked how fast and easy it was for her! I am worried it will be harder for me because I've been on it for 2 years everyday and I'm already in my 3rd trimester. Oh how I wish I would have come down sooner! It's just when you finally get the thing you've desperately wanted for almost a decade, it's hard to go against Dr's who say it will kill your baby.
That's why I'm now kicking myself as I should have done this sooner! But that's what I was wondering, does any amount of withdrawal in utero kill baby? I mean, if I can somehow do it slow enough to feel only mild withdrawal would baby be okay?
I saw the 2 people helping momtobe were very knowledgeable I do hope they can give me advice.
I was going to try to go to 3 mg if I stay at 4 for a week. I can tell if im having withdrawals but how do I know if baby is? If I can't get completely off I'd like to get to a mg or less if possible!
I really appreciate the help and your condolences. Yes, I'm such a different person since losing my son. I am scared of absolutely everything and I'm convinced baby Aiden is not going to make it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

scaredycat27 wrote:
That's why I'm now kicking myself as I should have done this sooner! But that's what I was wondering, does any amount of withdrawal in utero kill baby? I mean, if I can somehow do it slow enough to feel only mild withdrawal would baby be okay?

That I don't know the answer to. I looked it up and the only study I could find was quite heartening, and only found 1 instance of miscarriage from methadone withdrawal out of 101 women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12867211

But I'm not a doctor and there could be evidence out there saying otherwise. It would be best to get a doctor who's knowledgeable on the topic to fill you in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:35 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I see, thank you so much for taking the time to post that. That is so comforting. It's so hard because there's so much contradictory evidence out there! I really do wish I could find a dr to give advice, guidance, and support. But, of the 4 Dr's I've talked to about this they all say to stay on. What makes me not trust that is I know for a fact why my sub Dr doesn't want me off, the one ob seemed to know absolutely nothing about it, and my ob keeps saying he essentially knows I'll relapse! So, while I do believe it's very dangerous because you can't see baby and how they're doing, I just wondered if it's possible to do it safely and how.
I've been to all the obs in my area and I have already seen how I'll be treated at l&d. I was there for lack of movement scare and the nurse was so nice and laughing and the next time she came in I knew instantly she had read my chart and was judging me because her entire attitude with me changed. Which I can handle a Lil of that those women have no idea what I've been through and I don't care what they think of me I only care about aiden. But she told me she knew already 100% Aiden would have withdrawals and they will have to dose him. And u just feel that's the attitude around here like they know but in reality there's no way to know before birth.
Anyway thanks for the help I hope to be able to get some better insight here than in real life.