It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ive been doing some reading and ive found out they are a generic subutex out now and it is about 1/3 rd the price of suboxone.

My question is do you think my doctor will make the switch?

Ive been with the same doctor and on a very clean treetment for 1 year now. Ive been 100% clean and passed every drug test. I pay on time and have only had one issue and that was proven to be a mistake by the phamacy.

What would be the best way to aproch my doctor? I was thinking I would tell her I want to make the switch soley for the reason of money and that if needed I will make office visits more offen. Maybe start out with weekly visits even. I go monthly now. But if I could save 1/3 the money I would go once a week.

I guess my first question for you guys should be why do doctors not like to give subutex over suboxone? Ive heard it is because you can abuse it. But since Ive been on suboxone so long now wouldent it block any of the effects of the subutex?
I would think for me it would be the same, I would not notice any differance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've heard that one reason docs are cautious about prescribing subutex is that it has a higher street value than suboxone because it has higher abuse potential.

The only thing you can do is ask your doctor. My friend got her doc to switch her - but then found out the price of generic in our area is basically the same as the suboxone. She has been stable for over a year and that's why her doc agreed. It can't hurt to ask.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:09 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

As you know, Suboxone is 4 parts Buprenorphine and 1 part nalaxone (8/2; 2/.5 mgs) where as Subutex is soley Buprenorphine either 8 or 2 mgs. My doctor's reason for not wanting to switch to Subutex is because where his practice is there is a high rate of IV drug abuse. I never IV'd, but I have only been with him for a short while. I think once he knows he can trust me he would switch me to Subutex, but by then hopefully generic Suboxone will be out anyway. You said you are with your doctor and no problems for a year. That will help you greatly! If you never IV'd, bring that up again. Also do the math and have figures of how much you could save and stuff like that.

Also, maybe you should be careful with offering you go to more visits, then you might be spending the money you saved from the generic drug on the actual office visits.... From what I have read you can abuse Subutex (mainly people with a lower tolerance), IV. But I also heard that Suboxone is abused the same way and no w/d UNLESS the person is dependant on full agonist opioids when the Suboxone was abused. So actually, the Nalaxone is just 'for looks'. Is this true? I don't know. But I believe it is. Don't go by what I say...look into it.

If all else, I guess some people get headaches from Suboxone because of a reaction to the Nalaxone. Sometimes switching to Subutex helps with the headaches, if Naloxone is the reason in the first place. Mabye you can say that you are getting headaches and see what happens?

I am not a doctor or expert, so don't take my advice as such. But I did try this with my doctor, and after searching the forum thats what I found out from that experience. Good luck! Let us know how you make out..

Oh yeah.....if ANYONE has ANY info on the generic SUBOXONE or if/when there will be one, please let me/us know!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My doc is a flat monthly rate no matter how many times I go. I don't want to lie, I spent many years living a daily lie, and no plans on going back. Ive never lied to my doc and I don't want to start.

My first two weeks on suboxone where a mini nightmare. I had super bad headaches. Oh and I got acne for the first time in my life. But just as quick as it came, It went away. I had to go pick up some more meds from the phamacy today and I asked them for a price quote for the generic subutex, For #60 was $184.34 :shock: #60 of suboxone is $437.40.
I could save $253 per month by switching to the generic subutex.

After I started my treetment, I moved 2hrs away just so I would have a better chance of geting clean. The differant enviorment and the lack of connections really helped. I think I will start off by reminding my doctor of that, and then explain the price differance and cross fingers. I never touched needles, Hell to be honest Ive never done any other drug in
my life. I smoked pot two times in high school and that is it. And still somehow ended up with a 300mg per day oxy habbit. Crazy how the world works.

I thought of another good idea. In my doctors office they have a huge sign that says "we will request random pill counts"
They have never asked me to bring my pills in to count, But ive heard of others geting in troubble from it. Im going to offer that they can count my pills every visit. OR Sometimes when cash is low I only get 14 pills out of the pharmacy per week. Im going to also offer to do that. That way she can call the pharmacy to check the status per week if needed. Just an Idea. I have nothing to hide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:28 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thats pretty cool that its one flat rate. If isn't out of your way and you can go few times a month, he would probably have no problem. It sounds like you are a good candidate with no 'screw ups' or anything while being in treatment. The random pill count thing should also set his/her mind at ease with Subutex instead of Suboxone. It is crazy how much of a difference the price is for the two scripts. Thats quite a few bucks at the end of the year that could be saved!!! I should try again for Subutex, just for the money part. Good luck, let us know what happens!

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well went to my doc today :( She won't switch me to the generic subutex. This was her reason. She said that she is NOT allowed to prescribe subutex to just anyone. She said the only time she can precribe subutex is if your pregnet or have a certifed reaction to the noloxne in suboxone. She would get in troubble if she switched me to subutex.

Now that sounds a little "to easy" to me. Ive read up online and found many people who have started out on subutex, and others that have switched in the middle of their treetment.

Anyone else ever herd such a thing before? I wondering if my doctor is BS-ing me? Im thinking about calling a few local doctors in the morning and tell them
" hey ive been on suboxone for 12 months now, And I want to switch to the new generic subutex for cost reasons. but my current doctor don't precribe it to anyone not pregent or allergic to suboxone. I have been in treetment for a full year now, never failed a drug screening, Never had any issues with payment or my meds. Can you help me?"
What you think good or bad idea?

Its starting to look more and more like I will be on suboxone or subutex for a wile longer. If I can not get switched to the generic subutex & OR If the generic suboxone don't come soon I will more then likley end up going to methadone. Methadone is $7 per day for doctor and meds. Only reason Im not on methadone is because I know if I ever get on methadone I will NEVER get clean. I use to buy methadone off the streets. I started buying it so I could get clean from an oxy habbit I had. over a short amount of time I went from 20mg methadone to a 50mg/day habbit that lasted for 6-months. Methadone is good stuff, If you want to be high all day long with nod off's every hour. For someone tring to get clean its pure junk. Trust me I tryed. Anymore Im starting to look at it in a new way. suboxone is costing me around $700 per month. methadone would be $210. That extra $500 im paying was ment to be for the ease of withdrawl. To get 100% clean. If im going to be on suboxone for another year or more I should save my money and switch to methadone.

I donno. sorry for the rant. somtimes it feels like im running in a hampster wheel.. I just want to be clean someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have been on suboxone for 8 mos. Yesterday I had my monthly appt with my sub doc(cash only) visit and out of the blue he asked me how much my suboxone is on my insurance. I told him $45. Just like that he said I am switching you to generic subutex...one month supply 112 2 mg tablets is now $5. I have never failed a drug test and attend AA meetings 4 to 5 times a week. I started my dose last night and am extremely drowsy almost like I used to be before suboxone...I am scared......I am hoping that things will get back to normal........that's my experience......

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:19 am 
New Poster
New Poster

If you intend on switching from Suboxone to Subutex, you need to make the request based on your bad experience(s) with Suboxone. I have used Suboxone for a while now, but have suffered from headaches and become sick sometimes from the taste. I mentioned this to my Dr. and his response was "why not switch to Subutex?" Anyway I know of another who is prescribed Subutex and he/she does not fit the criteria your Dr. said one must meet. I'd suggest searching for other docs in the area who are authorized to prescribe Subs. So far I feel a lot better taking the Subutex, and believe I'll finally be able to get off of it shortly. Anyway, good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

send me a PM and let me know where you live...maybe your in my area and he is taking new patients....I pay $5 a month now...I am very happy now with the change and all is back to normal......

Post subject: Follow Up
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:26 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I also think it's a mistake to say too much and/or make things more complicated, such as offering to bring in your pills every month, etc. The doctor may not trust you because you're asking her to, or she may just be on a power trip. Regardless, you will be best off in looking for somebody else to see. When you do, it will probably suffice to simply mention the large difference in cost as your motivation for the change. Think about the past though to remember any negative effects the medicine has caused you. Even if you recall only one experience, it won't be dishonest to use aversion as your need for the change. Again though, keep it simple. Don't use both excuses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:36 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I was really sad to find out how against switching to subutex from suboxone my sub doctor was as well as others in my area. Chicago burbs, I am such a chronic relapser and open my mouth too darn much and I hate that, but learned the rotten way, what NOT to say etc and when to speak up the right things to say. I think my sub doctor knows I want just subutex so I feel more of that "opie glow and happiness", yet I told him, I think that suboxone tastes good as well as tex too, yet I just feel the naloxone is absorbed too much because I can't help swallow instead of spit it out after times up. He said either way doesn't matter, yet I've read so much on here and in detox to spit it out and I will feel better. I tried it once back when I was on suboxone the first time and didn't notice much a difference, but I was on 24mg daily for a while so I dont know. I take one more cut in half 8mg after supper tonite so if anyone sees this let me know if it is best to hold saliva for 10 or so mins and spit it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:45 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Also am I alone or do alot of other people here, feel that after detox, especially more than one failure detox, that "the party is over" and I will never get "high" off opies again? my doctor knows I am obsessed with opiates as well as my whole family. I feel like I just got out of "jail" and everyone is going to be tough on me, like I"m given the ultimatum that unless I go to outpatient day program for 4 weeks m-friday 9am to 3pm that I will be taken off subs and go back to the methadone clinic, undoing all I just went through. I just can't stand those programs and never met anyone I liked being with for a sponsor or friendship, yet funny this is the 3rd or 4th detox I've been out of for a few weeks now, and it was the coolest time I had in all the detoxes I was in. My roomate was cool just like being at a dorm. He kept my mind off insane wd's by showing his cool iphone. I had fun and now in the real world, its back to "trust nobody", I'm afraid to speak to the wrong person at an AA or NA meeting.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:24 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I just wanted to reply to what a few of you are asking about. That is how to get you Dr to switch you from suboxone to subutex? I for one have been in treatment in the state of Kentucky for about 1 year now and was finally able to convince my doctor that I could no longer tolerate the massive headaches it was causing. This wasn't any bullshit either!!! I have been diagnosed with migraines a few years back but ever since i had a hysterectomy they seem to not be as frequent. Now it took almost 3 months of talking to my doctor, staying clean, keeping good strip counts, and even the proof of some failing grades in my college courses because i couldn't focus due to these massive headaches. I actually had to tell him that I was thinking about quitting the program because i couldn't take it anymore (the headaches). He then agreed to make the switch under one condition. I stick to my meetings and stay clean. I think thats a pretty good bargain. Hope this helps some of you. Even if your just simply wanting to get switched to the Subutex because you like it better, or want to abuse it. That's your business I just thought I would share my experience to try and help.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:21 pm 

Hi Kara! Welcome to the forum! Thanks for contributing to the discussion! I have heard a number of people say that the naloxone in suboxone caused them headaches and went away when they switched to subutex.

I want to point out that this thread is 3 and a half years old and the same people might not be around anymore. So if you don't get responses from them, don't think that people are ignoring you. :)

Amy