It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey everyone,

I haven't posted in a long time. Thank you for the help you all provided me when I was inducing bupe after a long, toxic period abusing poppy seed "tea".

Some background:
For several years, I experienced soul crushing anhedonia (inability to feel pleasure/happiness) which I believe was caused by abusing various opiates. This continued, to a slightly lesser extent, while I've been on bupe maintenance. I tried prescriptions, supplements, excercise... the only things that helped at all was supplementing with tyrosine (a dopamine precursor) and 5-htp (a seratonin precursor). This led me to believe that the issue may be caused by a neurotransmitter deficiency. After experimenting with several other supplements, I recently tried Choline (an acetylcholine precursor).

Choline... wow. Within an hour of taking this supplement, I felt completely normal for the first time in years. I am now able to feel emotions again, and my motivation for daily life is also back. I have been using 250mg a day for over a week, and I continue to be free of the anhedonia. This is obviously not empirical evidence, but I am a strong skeptic and was only trying these types of supplements out of desperation. I had zero expectations, and I strongly believe this is not a placebo effect.

I sincerely hope that this might help some of you who suffer from anhedonia. I am not a doctor, but it may be worth a shot to try it out. From what I have read, choline is naturally found in some foods (such as eggs), it is required for normal bodily function, and its recommended dosage is generally very safe.

-Orion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:02 am 

Thank u and I hadn't ever heard of anhadonia. That sounds similar to what I went through when I stopped for 6 months (stopped all opiates). I assumed it was a severe case of paws but I'd never heard of anhadonia.... hope I'm spelling it right. That's interesting, I'm going to research that. Buprenorphine makes me feel very normal though, I only felt that way when I was off everything. Regardless that's interesting and I hadn't ever heard of that before, if I have I don't remember it.

So glad u found something to make u feel better. Please keep us updated!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Jenn,

Glad to see you're still at the helm!

I'm still doing very well with choline supplementation, in addition to tyrosine and bi-daily 5-htp. I know that bupe itself will not likely cause anhedonia/depression, but I think pre-existing symptoms may not completely resolve during bupe therapy. After so many years of feeling empty inside, it has been enlightening to realize just how much I was missing, mentally. I really recommend trying these supplements - at worst, you waste a few dollars, but it's possible they can help!

I should also note, I realize, that I have a pituitary tumor (treatment of which brought me to opiate abuse). I am unsure if my results are influenced by this or not. However, the amateur research I've done on these supplements suggest consistent benefits for those recovering from both opioid and alcohol addiction.

Best wishes,
-Orion