It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

will educating the "angry" about suboxone help?
Poll ended at Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:22 pm
Yes 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
no 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 5
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Im new to this site and glad I found one that holds a positive attitude. Of course any of us in recovery know that a positive attitude can go a long way. I've been on Suboxone for four years, before that I was on methadone for six. I am not going to debate which drugs are better for kicking addiction, although I will say for mysef that Suboxone has givien me my life back- I am not comatose, Im Alive and able to care for my family, support my Husband who works up on the oil fields here in Alaska so he is working non stop away from home three weeks out of the month. I will mention that he too was a Oxycontin addict like myself and also used suboxone for two years then titrated and has been clean for two. I have chosen maintanance with Suboxone.
I believe however a person who uses Suboxone and is really wanting to live a good life they are headed in the right direction and never let anyone tell you different- if the medication is working for you, your going the right way! People's anger comes from ignorance- in my opinion. I've heard a lot of people whine about how hard it is to get off suboxone, well these people were already addicted obviously before they were perscribed suboxone and are taking the medictation to better their lives not as some mirical drug that will cure their addiction! This drug is incredible when you think about it. Keeping those shooting from being able to and giving people that society has discounted as another statistic down the drain, a new lease on life! Ignore the anger and educate everyone that will listen! Dont forget either that our doctors, who see so much failure and sadness need to be reminded that isn't true for all of us and giving them some thanks and credit for the changes they are making in our lives is very important. Help your doctor to remember what he's fighting for!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't know if people who are angry about suboxone can (or will) be educated about it. Some of them are angry for valid reasons, but they aren't doing anything constructive with their anger - in my opinion. Some of them get so caught up in feeling angry because it's easier to be angry than to feel all the other stuff lurking below the surface. They are angry at themselves, the past, the present, the future, everything - and Sub is a convenient scapegoat.

Hopefully that anger burns out eventually. I try to hear people, hear what they are really saying under the anger and reach them at that leve. I'm not always successful at that, and sometimes I respond to anger with my own anger.

In any case, I always try to educate the angry folks, if only because someone else might be reading and be influenced by what they read here. The angry people have the loudest voices in some of the forums, so I want to make sure the other side is represented as well.

-Jack Kornfield

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Im interested to know what people are hearing from "angry" people- what are they saying they are angry about? I know what I've heard but what are other people hearing??? If anyone is interested in posting to this question I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There's a whole long thread in this section of the board about why people are angry. I'd read that if you really want to know.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: why the hater-ade?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:39 am 
New Poster
New Poster

This is a good question! "Independence" or self reliance are so "worshiped" in our culture. These are both supposed requirements for manhood also. I think the answer is a tangled knot that has to do with these things, shame and loss.

When I think about the unnecessary agony that so many of my loved who were pushed through the "DO IT YOURSELF", 'PAIN IS GAIN" mentality of the mental health system, I could almost imagine not wanting to know that there are far easier and humane ways toward health. Also, when people are happy or feeling relatively good and safe, I've read they are more likely to care about the world around them, about justice and the happiness of others. That wouldn't be so good for business as usual.

Our mental paradigm is the napoleon, the conqueror, the perfect. We have forgotten what an essential part of the human experience it is to suffer, and to be delivered from that suffering. Our idea of strength is very shallow. These are just some thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:43 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Diary of a Quitter wrote:
I don't know if people who are angry about suboxone can (or will) be educated about it. Some of them are angry for valid reasons, but they aren't doing anything constructive with their anger - in my opinion. Some of them get so caught up in feeling angry because it's easier to be angry than to feel all the other stuff lurking below the surface. They are angry at themselves, the past, the present, the future, everything - and Sub is a convenient scapegoat.

Hopefully that anger burns out eventually. I try to hear people, hear what they are really saying under the anger and reach them at that leve. I'm not always successful at that, and sometimes I respond to anger with my own anger.

In any case, I always try to educate the angry folks, if only because someone else might be reading and be influenced by what they read here. The angry people have the loudest voices in some of the forums, so I want to make sure the other side is represented as well.

What you wrote made me think of something rather ironic. I always hear "a little pill won't solve your problems." or 'Everyone wants a magic pill." I hear this before I even get to explain the complexity of my decisions. Now I realize they say these things but they show they believe a very similar idea "A little pill will make all your problems." The situation is way to complex to be so trite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It's an attitude that probably goes back to our puritan roots. Self reliance and independence have been revered in our culture (and for mostly good reasons) and many view drug dependence as a self inflicted irresponsible affliction. They believe that we are morally inferior and the drug war really just reinforces these beliefs. I really wish that our country would have a system that was sympathetic to the plight of those who are just trying to get better instead of using a punitive model when it comes to substance addiction/abuse. I think doctors should be able to prescribe not only Suboxone or methadone, but other short and long acting opiates so a treatment plan can be patient centered for their specific needs, not a one size fits all either Methadone or Suboxone system. We should have all the tools needed to develop better methods to increase the percentages of full recovery. Also, drug users need rehabilitation, not jail time. As a moral and fiscal conservative, I think it is possible to get more people on board treating drug dependence as an illness and not a moral failing. In fact, I'd like to make this my life's mission.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:33 pm 
I feel like this thread is really moving in the right direction.
I would like to expound on the position of treating addiction as a medical condition. I feel that much of the anger comes from the guilt and shame of those who are still "trapped" in the feelings and attitudes imposed by the treatment system which is based upon treating drug addiction as a moral/spiritual failure. And I think a drug like Suboxone is stone-cold proof that the disease of addiction is just that, a medical DISEASE which absolutely can and does respond to medicine based treatment. Unfortunately, I think that AA and NA have caused much more damage than good in this world. The worldwide success of AA/NA is about 5%, yet it is the recommended treatment focus of nearly all the court-ordered and private drug treatment facilities in this country. So the situation you have is millions of addicts being told "you are bad people, AA/NA is the only way you can learn to be good people, and it only works for 1 in 20 people. So pretty much your life is hopeless." And then the sense of shame and failure from the twelve-step program's hypocritical and holier-than-thou 5% drives the rest of us to use again. Until we discover Suboxone and that it's actually a medical problem and not spiritual/religious/moral at all. So that makes those in a position to gain from making us believe we are so bad very angry.
There ya go!
James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:51 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I believe there are at least three kinds of anger towards suboxone.

1. Is from the uninformed non user who probably have a relative on the program and expects too much and doesn't understand it is better to be on a supervised & controlled addictive drug rather than abusing narcotic street drugs.

2. Is also from uninformed new bupe users who were not properly educated of all the pros and cons by their physicians. After the "honeymoon" they had no idea they were going to experience the intense withdrawls when they decided it was time to quit.

3. Is from people like myself who have been in and out of Methadone and other programs for 20+ years and are essentially forced to either switch to suboxone or go back to the streets or pay for methadone. My choice is to pay $380 monthly for methadone or get Bupe free. The only thing I like about bupe is it prevents withdrawls. I don't believe there is anywhere near the level of anger and misinformation towards methadone. It's kind like you know in advance that methadone is a snake and you aren't surprised when it bites you because you are almost expecting it. However, Bube/subs has been touted as some kind of miracle "cure" that will give all addicts normalcy in their lives. Which isn't necessarily true for a significant number of people who go into the program. I believe Suboxone is a much more political drug than Methadone in that the govt wants more and more control over not only addicts... but our population in general. Suboxone is a perfect example of our govt making US citizens more and more dependent on "entitlements".

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:18 pm 
OK....
I apolagize in advance for cracking on twelve-step programs the way I just did....I know that some people have had enormous success with NA/AA. I just get very hot sometimes and I was venting. So, here's my problem: I take Suboxone, and for me it has literally been an absolute cure. Since I started taking it I NEVER, EVER think about or entertain getting high in any way. I have no side effects except a loss of libido. I think for me this is an acceptable trade--off. I tried Churches, Christianity, Church-based meetings, AA, NA, and other 12-step programs over and over and over for 15-plus years. And I didn't just go to a meeting here, and a church service there, I did intensive programs and prayed from the bottom of my heart and tried to trust God as I understood Him and the whole 9 yards. And for me, JUST me, none of it ever did a damn bit of good to keep me clean. So now that I've found Suboxone, which is the first thing in my life that has ever worked and has allowed me to stay out of jail and out of trouble and stay home with my family and stop all the lying and actually live a decent life, I am constantly being told that Suboxone is crap and NA is the only real recovery and that my recovery is living a lie and that I'm going to fall on my face. And I'm sick and goddamn tired of it. That's what I meant to say.
J