It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:17 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I switched doctors last month and I dont have any real problems with him other than I would really like to be able to get Subutex so it would help on the costs with everything that we have right now. It doesnt have to be a insurance accepting doctor BUT I would really like if they would write Subutex. I was not a IV drug user, which I explained to my new doctor but he is just headstrong on not prescribing it. He said that some doctors do and that the DEA told him that if he wrote it to anyone that wasn't pregnant, he would or could get into serious trouble. I as you all know that is a lie and he is more than likely getting a kicback from RB or someone to scribe the strips.
Anywho, if any of you people out there live in KY and have a doctor that writes Subutex please let me know. I dont mind to go through switching again if it will save on the script money. I cant find insurance that is halfway affordable, well I find some but I dont understand if they cover Suboxone because the websites dont have drug checkers or something to see what Tier of medication it is or anything of the sort.
Thanks very much for any information, I would like to go to the doc that runs this site. But I dont live anywhere near WI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:03 pm 

I'm sorry you're having trouble finding a doc who will prescribe subutex! I have heard that it is hard to find a sub doctor who will prescribe subutex if you're not pregnant, at least initially. My doctor has implied that he will prescribe it after the patient proves themselves and if the patient is having a hard time paying.

I don't doubt that the DEA is pressuring doctors not to prescribe subutex outside of pregnancy and that doctors are caving to the pressure. Why? Is it because RB's public relations campaign has been so successful? Is it because the DEA gets some sort of kickback from RB? I don't know. I don't think I buy that individual doctors are receiving direct kickbacks.

I honestly think your best bet is to try to find a doctor who is ethical and who doesn't seem like he/she is in it for the money. I know that one of our members has a doctor that has a sliding fee based on income. If you find a doc with decent ethics, it's more likely that he/she will let you prove yourself and perhaps prescribe sub somewhere down the road.

I wish I had a better suggestion. I hope that you can find what you are seeking!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:03 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

He seems like a legit guy, he said that he was in with a bunch of other doctors in a program call Selrefind? sp? Anyways, they were wanting to up the fees for the monthly visits and they werent comfortable with it so they broke off and made their own practice.
I am thinking about asking him this month with all the information that is out there about Subutex and how it is basically like Suboxone in blocking opiates and being that I am not a IV drug user and never have been, why they still cant write it? I mean the DEA people may be watching doctors that write it to non pregnant women.
I just say kickbacks because I dont honestly know why they dont write the meds and only write Suboxone. I Just making guesstimates here.
He is a really good doctor, they may have just scared him into not writing it who knows? I guess they all have their own reasons, some might be different than others. I used that doctor locator thing, the treatment match and the only one that i got back and the only limitations I put was monthly cost, basically willing to drive anywhere. I got one which was a Methadone clinic/Suboxone clinic and they wanted a fortune and they wouldnt accept insurance or Subutex and I specifically put on there that I needed a doc office to accept those things.
I might should have called around a bit more and asked some more questions. My husband is happy with my new doctor as well. He likes the guy too, and if my husband likes the guy then he must be a good one. My husband can judge someone quite well. Hes good at reading people.
I might need to check into finding some type of discount program or card for the medicine. I have the thing from their website, and I did the Here to Help thing for a year. Ive been on it 19 months, 2 of those months I had Subutex because I begged and pleaded with my old doctor to help us because we had small income at that time. OUr income has improved but anything that I can do to help out would be nice.