It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:52 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I have read EVERYTHING I can find on pregnancy and buprenorphine over the last several years. I'd had experience with it myself over the last 10 years while I've been on maintenance suboxone. I have a few questions I wanted to ask here, since many of the people I've come across on this forum seem very experienced & I thought maybe I'd get some good information. I just wish there were a little more research out there.
(Maybe there is since buprenorphine treatment has been used in other countries longer than in the US, and I just don't know how to find it?)

*In 2 separate groups I belong to, we've noticed that the babies with one or both of the following factors are much more likely to have NAS symptoms and require treatment: (1) larger birth weight (8lbs and over) and (2) being born later term (40-42 weeks gestation). Does any research support this, or is it likely just coincidental?

I realize that our rationalizations as to why this may happen are pure (uneducated) speculation, but could it possibly be due to (1) bigger babies with more fat stores more medication, (2) placenta deterioration over time allows more medication to fetus, or (3) longer time fetus is exposed at more developmentally mature state increases NAS rate?

*Is NAS more likely in boys than girls (I've often read that it is)?

*How late in the pregnancy can a Mom completely quit and have NO chance of NAS? I've read stories of many women quitting within days of delivery and none of their babies had any NAS (I realize that this is NOT recommended); however, I've also read medical research that buprenorphine used after 20 weeks gestation will be present in Meconium, and therefore baby's system.

*Finally, has anyone had a baby while taking 0.5mg-0.75mg and had their baby show signs of NAS? I know data says dose doesn't matter, but all the studies that I've read usually don't have any participants below 2mg. I HAVE read about women doses below 1mg and having babies kept for treatment of NAS, but all the cases, symptoms were minimal according to the Moms, and possibly due to discrimination by hospital staff. (This is the question that I've been asking for years, since I got down to 0.5mg with my son in 2012 he had no NAS; I'm currently at 0.5-0.75mg @ 33 weeks and I realize no one can give me 100% reassurance. But any bit of reassurance helps me!)

Thank You!!!
Jamie B

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I really don't have the answers to your questions, but wanted to let you know that I've heard the same theory about the higher incidences of NAS in higher birth weight babies and longer gestation as well, and the hypothesis as to why, from what I read is as you stated about larger fat stores in larger babies and placental issues in overdue newborns. The ideas seem to make sense, but you're right, there's not a lot of research to be found online about this subject, besides the experiences and guesses of women who've had babies while taking buprenorphine. Hopefully, our forum's founder Dr. Junig will have some answers about this. I as well find this topic interesting and would like to learn more about it to better be able to answer members questions here. I hope you're doing well and feeling better, and I'll be following this thread, and your other one as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:45 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

lizzieshug2013 wrote:
I really don't have the answers to your questions, but wanted to let you know that I've heard the same theory about the higher incidences of NAS in higher birth weight babies and longer gestation as well, and the hypothesis as to why, from what I read is as you stated about larger fat stores in larger babies and placental issues in overdue newborns. The ideas seem to make sense, but you're right, there's not a lot of research to be found online about this subject, besides the experiences and guesses of women who've had babies while taking buprenorphine. Hopefully, our forum's founder Dr. Junig will have some answers about this. I as well find this topic interesting and would like to learn more about it to better be able to answer members questions here. I hope you're doing well and feeling better, and I'll be following this thread, and your other one as well.

Thank You! If the theory seems likely, I probably try asking doctors for an induction at 39 weeks. All my babies have been on the smaller side, but each one has been bigger than the last; 6lbs 4oz, 7lbs 1oz, and 7lbs 15.5oz.
I'm also curious since buprenorphine has been used for many more years in other countries outside the US, would there be more research out there in those countries that I can look into?

Jamie B.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.