It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

This may seem ridiculous, and offensive and anything but legitimate but now that the dust has settled. Two Octobers ago I was arrested upon discharge from a hospital for overdosing and transported from the hospital back to the county in which I was in Drug Court. Drug Court mandated the arrest.

Because I had Suboxone on my person and not an "extra" prescription and that it wasn't in the prescription bottle I was charged with Possession of a Controlled Substance. I thought this was absolutely ridiculous and questioned how in the heck this could happen while I had a valid and legal prescription for Suboxone.

Despite my pleas I was nevertheless charged with a lower form of Possession of a controlled substance so that the charge was "merely" a Misdemeanor vs. a Felony. Either way, the charge was ridiculous. Just because the Suboxone was not in the bottle and I didn't have a prescription on hand (who carries an extra prescription for a refill of Suboxone on them) I was inevitably arrested and charged with possession.

When I was mandated to appear in court I did so, which was in an entirely different county and with my lawyer (which was Quite Expensive) where he plead not guilty to the charge and argued that I had an active prescription and through contact between my prescribing physician and my lawyer (even more money) they were able to settle for an ACD (Acquittal in Contemplation of Dismissal) so long as I didn't get in trouble for the next 6 months.

I kept my end of the bargain and remained trouble free for the next 6 months and was shocked to find out through a social worker that a warrant for my arrest was out for the possession charge and that the police were looking for me! It turned out the State Trooper who handled the case "forgot" to close the case after the ACD and the police were mistaken. Another unnecessary and ridiculous scare.

In the end I had kept to my end of the bargain and was trouble-free for the 6 month time period and the charges were dropped but should have been before it even went that far due to the fact that I had an active prescription and the only thing the police were going by was that they weren't in the bottle.

Any one else have any stories like this that are borderline ridiculous and completely uncalled for?

KeefSom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've never heard of this, but what I have heard of is people who have a "questionable" history in the drug community, like suspicious activity, known dealings with dealers (know by law enforcement), trafficking, etc having the cops harass them, and even having some bogus charges stick so that they could be gotten on paper (probation) because of the history they have had with illicit drugs.
Though it may not be right or legal, it happens...the cops know who buys pills and illicit drugs, and most of the time they aren't after the people who go and buy a $10 hit of heroin, they want the person who SELLS the $10 hit of heroin to 200 people...etc...
But, they WILL go after the people who buy when they catch the sellers...just to get them on paper. It's possible that your past activity warranted the cops wanting to get you for something, anything, just to get you into the system.
I never had any problems like this, and the cops where I live even knew that I was doing pills, they just weren't interested in someone who was small-time like me who would get arrested, then spend a couple of weeks in jail having the shits and throwing up in a cell...they wanted the people that I was getting 80mg OCs from..

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

We had a woman here not too long ago who was arrested for driving under the influence of SUBOXONE! So yes, it happens, regardless of how innocent we are. The whole scenario you described is horrific and scares the shit out of me. I keep last month's suboxone prescription bottle in my purse with my extra sub and some of my other meds in it. (I keep the current bottle at home with my other meds.) I do that just to prove I'm on a legitimate prescription, because my sub keeps my pupils pretty small and I fear being pulled over innocently and getting arrested on some DUI bullshit related to my sub.

Cops don't understand suboxone any more than doctors do (LESS!) and what little they do know, they mistakenly equate sub to ACTIVE addiction instead of recovery. If you ask me it's BULLSHIT. And I'm sorry to hear you had to go through the time and expense of all that.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow! I do carry a few strips in my purse just in case I need them when I'm away from home sometime. Thanks for bringing this up...I am going to go put my prescription box in my purse with them right now!!! :shock:

Post subject: Thanks Hat & Taurus
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:11 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I always keep some subs on my person, just in case and you're right, cops see the Suboxone and a light-bulb goes off (in their dark little mind, lol) and they think ADDICT. This is horrible, you're absolutely correct when they should think RECOVERY. This is rarely the case, though.

I've been in trouble with the Staties before and always found that they were the most forgiving and honest cops, compared to unlimited budget city cops in the suburbs who've nothing better to do than harass preppy Westchester kids doing "hill-billy heroin" they got from the "big city". Okay, okay, I'm a little bias, but some of it's true...

Anyway, if you do carry them on your person be careful, what I do is I ripped off the prescription on a used bottle and stuck it on the second to the last page on my passport and put tape over it to laminate it and if I ever am going somewhere where I might be searched (like the airport or court, for instance) I just carry my passport, and usually when cops see that they're content with it. It all just depends on the police involved too. Since I was released from the hospital from an overdose wasn't much of a defense either, but considering what they did would be by no means helping me. It was probably more of a freak occurrence than not, but "buyer beware". Even if the pharmacy you go to has a piece of paper attached to it with your name and your RX info on it carry that at all times. Empty Suboxone pills in a small glassine case or the sort definitely is going to be considered suspicious and it's their word over yours.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:43 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Just to add to this - My doctor actually brought something to my attention a few months ago that relates to this topic. I'm always asked to return my empty packaging and unused suboxone films to my doctor each month so that she can count them and make sure I have "evidence" of what she prescribed the previous month. I used to just hand her the box with the prescription label, which had the empty packaging in it, and then take any unopened ones I had back home with me in my wallet. Just a few months ago at one of my appointments, she told me that any of my unopened suboxone that I plan to carry back home with me will need to be transported in the actual baggie or box that has the prescription label on it. There have been many times that i'd carried a couple suboxone films in my wallet (without evidence of a prescription) but have been lucky and never had any problems with this. I would hope that if i was ever pulled over and searched that I could simply verify my prescription with my doctor and not have any further problems... but apparently this isn't necessarily the case.
I wonder if this only applies to specific controlled substances? I wonder because there are many people (especially those that take multiple meds) that have pill cases that they carry around with them so that they don't have to drag their prescription bottles everywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have always carried an aspirin bottle in my purse with a bunch of different meds, like aspirin, ibuprofen, tylenol, allergy med, Immodium (just in case! :shock: ), etc. There is no way I'm carrying all those different bottles in my purse with me everywhere I go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
We had a woman here not too long ago who was arrested for driving under the influence of SUBOXONE! So yes, it happens, regardless of how innocent we are. The whole scenario you described is horrific and scares the shit out of me. I keep last month's suboxone prescription bottle in my purse with my extra sub and some of my other meds in it. (I keep the current bottle at home with my other meds.) I do that just to prove I'm on a legitimate prescription, because my sub keeps my pupils pretty small and I fear being pulled over innocently and getting arrested on some DUI bullshit related to my sub.

Cops don't understand suboxone any more than doctors do (LESS!) and what little they do know, they mistakenly equate sub to ACTIVE addiction instead of recovery. If you ask me it's BULLSHIT. And I'm sorry to hear you had to go through the time and expense of all that.

Doesn't the suboxone bottle have the little label on the side that says "Warning: May make you drowsy, do not drive or operate heavy machinery"? I would recommend NOT showing that bottle to the cops if you do happen to get pulled over. You would be incriminating yourself if the cop saw that label.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:00 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Interesting story. I will have to put something in my wallet just in case..

Just looked at my pill bottle and it says "use care when operating a car or dangerous machinery"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

NAABT.org has wallet cards you can order. I keep one in my card, although I often wonder if that's a good idea or a bad idea. I also have a medic alert bracelet that identifies me as being on suboxone, but lately I haven't been wearing it.

In the beginning of my treatment, I was all "hey, I'm CLEAN AND SOBER, I'm on SUBOXONE, look at me!". Now the newness has worn off and I think about the what-if's of if I had an accident and if I'd actually tell the ER if I'm on suboxone or not. It's a legitimate concern. There IS prejudice and discrimination against us due to the misinformation among medical personnel about what suboxone is really for.

I guess it's a decision each one of us has to make for ourselves. But you can get wallet cards that state you're on sub, as well as one that lists your medications, I believe, at NAABT. I'm pretty sure they are still free, as are most of the literature on sub that they offer.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ryan.is.Tryin wrote:
Interesting story. I will have to put something in my wallet just in case..

Just looked at my pill bottle and it says "use care when operating a car or dangerous machinery"

That's slightly better because the cop won't be obligated to give you a DUI just because you're on suboxone (ie: you'd have to be doing something stupid in addition to being on subs), but you still shouldn't show it to him unless he specifically asks if you're on any prescription meds. You don't want to give a cop any reason to dislike you if you don't have to.

I know in AZ it's possible to get a DUI for alcohol even if you blow under .08. If the cop thinks you're doing something stupid related to being intoxicated, blowing even a .01 could get you a DUI. If you get a good lawyer you could get the charges dropped, but not before you pay a shitload of fines and fees and take some bullshit classes. I don't think it's a stretch to assume it would be the same with suboxone: you act fucked up, you get charged, and even though it might not stick in court (because it's ridiculous to require that people on suboxone never drive), you would still have to pay a bunch of money and waste a bunch of time.