It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Did side effects go away after quitting? Mood and physical side effects.
Poll ended at Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:28 pm
Yes, they all went away 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, but some still there 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi I am a long time reader but just recently began to post. I have been using opiates for years, but have been on maintenance programs for the past 3 years- 2 1/2 on methadone and now coming on 5 months on Sub. I have gotten my life together and really see how a healthy lifestyle can change a person. Unfortunately I have reached a wall, and sub is to blame. Like most experience, at first I thought the sub was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and it was for about a month. Fortunately during this month I was in Europe and could have been sober and had a great time. But after I returned the Suboxone seemed to make me "gray" as some have described. I have lost all motivation for the little things- laughing, going out with friends, sports, meeting girls, and all the things a 24 year old should enjoy. I was never a stressed out person but Suboxone has caused me to sweat beyond belief and make me nervous in otherwise normal social situations. I have never been an anxious person, even on methadone and other opiates, but suxobone has taken my anxiety and heart rate to another level. I just cant take it. My plan is to wait till this semester is done, mid Dec, and kick during the break. I have about a month, but still have work ( I can take a week off maybe) to do this. I have built my life back up and don’t want to lose it now. So I am looking for people who have had some what positive results when kicking suboxone, and are STILL clean. I am to the point where sub is holding me back, and changing my personality for the worst. This is why coming off it is a must. Of course any detox is going to be painful, that is a given, but I want to know there is light at the end of the tunnel concerning the mood changes and other side effects. Have people seen their “old selves” coming back after quitting along with disappearing side effects? Also, is there a way I can do this with as little mental and physical anguish as possible- a little background, I have kicked a 300mg a day Oxy habit cold turkey twice, and also Methadone with sleeping aides twice. I know it sucks, but maybe a better sub kick story?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I myself will be on suboxone for life do to im on it for pain issues as well.

But i can tell you my good buddys story of trying to get of sub. well lets just say he was on it for a total of about 2 and a half years and the last couple months he was on crumbs literally as small as a bread crumb and you would think on such a low dose he would be able to do it with out alot of struggles. Well the next 3 months of his life def were one of the worst times of his life. Were he went wrong was trying to do this with out the dr help! Dumbest thing he ever did to this day he says. all i can tell you is do this with your dr and to this day now that he is clean he still doesnt fell like himself hes like 96% but doesnt think that 4 will ever come back.

But remember everyone is different his addiction was pretty bad. he was on 800 Fentora pills for years cause of a serious back injury so getting back to normal for him is a shit load different then most of us!

Post subject: LOL
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

LOL! Not exactley the post I wanted to hear! But thanks for the input none the less. I was in searcch for a positive storry, and you the post by saying your going to be on it for life! and that your friends life is a living hell! LOL I couldnt help to find the humor in that. Thanks though

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Hey !!!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:09 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

How did you feel on let's say 2mg compared to the .5mg your on now... how long have you been on .5mg.. how fast have you tapered to .5mg, PLEASE explain your taper schedule.. Sorry to ask so much, but these questions are very critical (sp) Thank you and Good Luck

Post subject: Kicking Sub
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:38 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm in the exact same boat, although I now take Subutex. I've made two prior jumps, and made it 15 days and 16 days respectively.
The first time I failed due to a relapse on kratom, but the second time was plain stupidity because I was very much out of the woods. In fact I had resumed activities, was attending twelve-step meetings, the acute stuff had subsided, and I was very much my sharp self again. I was experiencing PAWS, so I took my pain doctor offer up on the sub offer I didn't really need.

As is the tradition of this site, I'm not gonna knock or encourage sub, only can state where I'm at. Very similar to your situation. Even at lowest doses, sub causes me severe memory problems, loss of interest in any activities. I often lose my train of thought mid-sentence. Opiate nightmares are pretty bad, causing a serious loss of sleep. I'm not even able to read a book anymore. I had planned on taking a college course in January, but that's now a joke.

For me, the scariest parts of sub w/d are Anxiety, panic attacks/feelings of impending doom, and insomnia. Mostly insomnia. Nothing remotely close to a 300mg oxy habit, I can't begin to imagine. The bad news us that I fear my acute w/d is gonna go on longer this time (I'm gonna try the liquid taper, but if it only prolongs the misery I'll cut the cord). There are meds for all that stuff, and they helped me a great deal (actully I can't even imagine trying it without them).

I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm not scared. Others on this site have insisted that my memory & motivation problems can't be related to sub, but process of elimination seems to show different. I can only hope that 1) I can get off of the sub 2)I can endure the lenthy period of PAWS that will follow and 3) That the Memory damage is not permanant.

This time around I'd like to do an inpatient opiate detox. Unfortunately, insurances generally limit this to seven days- adequate for a full agonist detox with suboxone, but nowhere near enough time (from my experiences) to detox FROM (much less even eliminate) Suboxone- very frustrating.

I imagine you've already worked with your doctor to adjust your dosage. I'm at 2mg and no change. Suspect that I'll start to experience w/d at 1mg. If I had the time and the Money, I'd go away for 2 weeks to a hospital somewhere. In the absence of that, I'm doing what I did before....ask my doc for every comfort med he can provide.

Good luck (that goes for both of us)

Post subject: how i got here
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the quick replies, I am really looking for some feedback. My only real complaints from 4 mg to 2mg and 2 to 1 and 1 to .5 have been minor. The only thing that keeps bothering me is the constant side effects and consecutive yawning at night time. I have been at .5 for around 3 weeks, and did so because I just started the Suboxone Listerine type strips. They have made it so I didn’t have to do the liquid taper, and could really accurately measure my dosage. I can cut them into exact measurements. The problem is my doctor gave them to me for FREE to kind of get a free trial period for the company. I appreciated it of course, but he seems like the doctor more in it for $ than actually seeing me succeed- he initially thought me side effects were from too LITTLE sub, and I looked at him, and then he changed his answer because I knew he was BSing me. But anyway, I have had the exact same side effects such as memory lose, anxiety, sore finger joints, and sweating. I am taking an ASL class for my college transfer credits and I cant seem to remember the most simple signs. I use to have a great memory and be an A student, even on methadone, but the sub is making it harder and harder to do everyday things. I use to love reading, love making, and just people in general...and it has all gone to shit while on sub. I have used these 5 months on sub to get into great shape, lose 15 pounds, quit cigarettes, and eat healthier. However the side effects are just too intense and I am loosing a passion for life, which is the worst thing possible. Id rather be a slightly dope sick human- who sees and feels, than a zombie who is medicated and lives his life in grey. I feel that my life is stable enough, thanks to 2 years on methadone and now 5 months on sub, and I am ready to start living again. I just hope these side effects and personality changes wont remain!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:26 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello and welcome imaraider,

Ok I have begun this post and erased about 10 times because its a little off topic and I'm a little scared of the responses I might get back????

So here it is.... I have been on subs for 7 months w/ 2 short relapses :cry: Each relapse was due to feeling "GREY" as you put it. Since stopping the love of my life OXYS I have felt like I can't do anything. I seem STUCK as I have put it many of my posts. I work, come home, t.v, computer I forse myself to go to NA which I like but really have soooo much social anxity its not even worth going most of the time and I really used to enjoy my children when I was using and it seems like caring for them is a chore now.

So... I have been blaming this on the fact that I just don't know how to function with out OXYS bacause they just made me feel better and made things great {AS LONG AS I HADE ENOUGH}. Well after reading through this thread I am asking myself is the subs making me feel this "GREY" or is it the lack of oxys?

I keep thinking that I need to reteach myself how to function in society with oxys and that this is why i'm on the subs but now I have to wonder if I would be better off getting off the subs if they are in fact causing this problem.

Anyway I really wish you the best and I think your taper so far has gone great and am very hopeful that it will continue that way. You are now on such a low dose that I think you will do well. If it were me I would still go even lower before completly stopping. Please continue to post on how your feeling you will be helping many others!!! GOOD LUCK :D

If anyone else can explain my questions above or tell me about there experinces it would be greatly appreciated :D

Post subject: Raider......
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:39 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

You should be very happy with your progress, 3 weeks at .5mg is not much time ( I know this ).. STOP ( at .5mg ) for a while, maybe 2-3 months let things even out. Being at .5mg per day for 2-3 months is a HUGE accomplishment Give yourself this time before moving on, and making your next decision on Suboxone ..This is the time to be patient, Things are always dark and gray when tapering below 2mg... No one here ever said getting off Suboxone was going to be a cake walk, someone else around here just went back to 2mg after a Sub stoppage, If thats not a lesson I dont know what is, Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:57 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Imaraider - sorry you're feeling such bad effects. It doesn't sound like you're too different from others here. I was a pain patient on significant full agonist therapy for 5 years. I recently felt like I lost control of my meds and that the downsides were far outweighing the benefits. Ups and downs, drained feeling, difficulty concentrating, depression, constipation....and I was STILL in pain.

So I decided to get off and find other ways to treat my pain. It may not work - but I am gonna give it the college try. I am on day 35 of a Subutex taper and am down to roughly .3mg per day. Do I feel 100%. No way. I guess you could say I feel grey. But I personally don't blame the Sub. I blame the 5 years on full agonists and the opiate dependency it induced.

But for the good news. Every day feels a little better than the last. Every time I drop my dose I feel fine day 1, crap days 2 and 3, improved day 4, and pretty good (90%) day 5. I fully expect that I will soon jump off altogether and will feel at best 90% (some days worse) for at least 3 months, maybe 6. But again, every day hopefully better than the last.

Sub actually makes me think of those Nicorette gum commercials. "Nicorette makes quitting smoking suck less". That really resonates with me. Quitting opiates sucks. Sub just makes it suck less. But it WILL get better. You're doing great at .5mg. Hang in there and know you'll be back to yourself in relatively short order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sorry you're having a rough time, but I am not understanding how people say that suboxone is changing their personality or causing apathy. I've been on it coming up on two years. I experience all sorts of emotions, I can concentrate, focus, read a book, etc, etc. I have not seen any evidence that sub causes any of the feelings (or lack thereof) that you are describing.

This subject has been addressed before and it is thought that when a person stops active addiction, so many things change. It's not like we can get back who we were before the addiction started. We were numbing our feelings and self-medicating. Without being able to do that anymore, people tend to have trouble dealing with emotions. For some people it's depression. I know many people on sub and they, like me, are doing fine. I know someone who was on sub for a couple of years and has been off it now for over a year. Even she attests to not feeling any different on sub or even off of it.

I just worry that people who are considering suboxone will read a post like this and decide not to get treatment because someone says their personality or motivation has changed. Without treatment their life is at risk.

There are many things in life that could cause what you are describing, but as I said, there is no evidence that suboxone has caused it.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Re: LOL
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

imaraider wrote:
LOL! Not exactley the post I wanted to hear! But thanks for the input none the less. I was in searcch for a positive storry, and you the post by saying your going to be on it for life! and that your friends life is a living hell! LOL I couldnt help to find the humor in that. Thanks though

Im just being honest with you man. i dont want to tell you one thing and get your hopes up thats all! Many people have gotten off sub just fine. MY REAL POINT OF THAT POST IS DO THIS WITH YOUR DR THATS ALL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hatmaker510 wrote:
I'm sorry you're having a rough time, but I am not understanding how people say that suboxone is changing their personality or causing apathy. I've been on it coming up on two years. I experience all sorts of emotions, I can concentrate, focus, read a book, etc, etc. I have not seen any evidence that sub causes any of the feelings (or lack thereof) that you are describing.

This subject has been addressed before and it is thought that when a person stops active addiction, so many things change. It's not like we can get back who we were before the addiction started. We were numbing our feelings and self-medicating. Without being able to do that anymore, people tend to have trouble dealing with emotions. For some people it's depression. I know many people on sub and they, like me, are doing fine. I know someone who was on sub for a couple of years and has been off it now for over a year. Even she attests to not feeling any different on sub or even off of it.

I just worry that people who are considering suboxone will read a post like this and decide not to get treatment because someone says their personality or motivation has changed. Without treatment their life is at risk.

There are many things in life that could cause what you are describing, but as I said, there is no evidence that suboxone has caused it.

I agree ive been on suboxone for 4 years now and have not notice any big changes in my life as mood,emotions and so fourth.

Post subject: point taken..but
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hatmaker510- hey thanks for the reply...from the Bay, 510? Me too. Anyway I appreciate your post and wanted to say- that if it was a choice between being a drug addict risking your life everyday chasing a high and Sub, I would OF COURSE choose and recommend someone being on suboxone. This is why I wanted to stress that Suboxone has been great for me, in the beginning, but affects people differently. I just think all these side effects are NOT a coincidence when it comes to suboxone. I haven’t sought out drugs, or displayed drug seeking behavior in over 3 years, because I have been on methadone, which was also a life saver. Though I hated the side effects on methadone as well, they were not as pronounced as it is on Sub, and wasn’t as mind altering as it is now. As you can tell I can barley string together an articulated sentence anymore, I use to be a great writer, but now my mind is just BLAH. On methadone I could go to school, concentrate, crack a smile, but no sex drive. Suboxone I cant do any of those things, BUT I can have sex but for some reason don’t have the will to. I have not had a “rush” of opiates in a long time- you know the short acting OXY or H that goes right to the brain. I have been on long lasting, long half life maintenance drugs for almost 3 years. I do think there is a difference when someone is on a “run” with Heroin or OXY, and wanting to use suboxone to quit. Because in that case the side effect is death or jail! So that is a given. I don’t want to discourage anyone that is in that very serious situation. I have been there before, and still am sooooo thankful to methadone and sub for helping me through it.
BUT I highly recommend that going on long acting opiates be a last resort, because it can truly become even harder to get off them. I am at a point in my life where all basic responsibilities are stable- I am about to transfer to CAL, I have a good job, and am on good terms with my family. I just don’t have that spark for life as I did before opiates, or even on opiates, or even on methadone! So as I tally up the stories of this site about not having apathy anymore, after taking suboxone, I realize that people NEED to consider these things before jumping on Sub. It is very important. Like I said before, the side effects have been just too much for me and are changing who I am at the heart. I use to be a social, primal guy who loved competition, athletics, girls, books, intellectuals, and social events. Now my only passions are to get the basic stuff done, while having no want for the “extras” as a poster has described it. I don’t want to ramble any further, but I want my vocab, memory, and passions back! I have never been depressed, and wouldn’t consider myself even now as depressed. Just BLAH, going through the motions. The truth is Methadone and Suboxone both save lives, and I might not be here without them. But if I could go back 3 years from now, before long acting opiates, and just kick my initial habit, I would so in a heartbeat. That is just my personal experience, everyone is different. Anyway I am at .5 , and have been so for 3 weeks. I a planning to go to .4 this weekend for another 2-3 weeks. I have the strips so tapering wont be a problem. Hope to hear more from you guys…

Post subject: bboy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

bboy- no problem, I knew you were being honest about your situation and I like that. I wouldn’t want it any other way. Everyone is different when it comes to Sub. It is just one of those drugs that can make you slow, fast, hot, cold, sad, happy, fat, skinny, so I take everyone’s experience with a grain of salt, as it relates to my own body. If Sub doesn’t cause side effects for some people, I can totally understand why they would want to be on it for a while. Hell, if there was no side effects I would be on it forever! But for me there just is! Imagine raising your hand in class, where you normally are cool calm and confident, and just breaking out into the most terrible sweat you could imagine, and barley stringing together an educated sentence because your so anxious. It sucks! I get hot and bothered in the totally wrong way! Hey, small price to pay right? It was...but NOT anymore..If these things don’t happen to you, I am very happy, because that’s awesome. I just have come to the point where it is too much for me.. Ya feel?

Post subject: Hey.....
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:22 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Ok , you've decided to go from .5mg to .4mg without stabilizing on .5mg..... and then your going to complain about life being gray, slow, fast, cold, sad, happy, fat, skinny, blah mind, unsocial, girls and books... your going thru what happens when you taper to fast. Been there

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Again I want to stress that everyone experience on Sub is different, and affects them in different ways. This is why I am asking for opinions on peoples personal experience. Just because a side effect hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it doesn't exist, or that there isn't any "evidence" to support it. If you are referring to evidence as what is displayed on the warning label, what doctors have said, or from you personal experience that is fine. However what is being considered evidence here? I think that if multiple people experience the exact same side effects of Sub, share a similar story, and report so, well then that is plenty and as good "evidence" you are going to get regarding this stuff. The only real evidence that matters to each persons situation is their own evidence and experience. So to say that one hasn't experienced a certain effect doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, or that Sub is being knocked in any way. It seems that people can be very defensive of Suboxone, and in some instances rightfully so. People seem to forget sometimes that ones man junk is another mans treasure and vise versa. Everyone has their own experience and journey. And for me at least, the symptoms were never an issue while on methadone, and to me that is very shocking. I know that people can feel a rush of different emotions when starting or stopping a new drug and or lifestyle. I know by body, and my mindset. This is why I want other opinion on their stopping, and the affects in had on their body. However one persons experience does not take precedent over another's. All experiences are equally valid, and should be equally added into the evidence record, whether it was your story or not.

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I thought being at .5 for almost a month was stabalized? No?

Post subject: wow
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This post is getting super judgemental, and I dont like it. Sullsimi I'm not complainig about anything, only sharing my experience. Ive been at .5 for almost a month, and the most ive been on is 3mg. So before you make a statement a say I'm complaining maybe you get your facts strait. If your going to be negative, you can not post..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey man nobody is hear to be mean just hear to support you.

I understand 100% were you are coming from everyone has different side affects from different meds. I have issues with other meds on im too. for ex i have one side affect from prozac my dr has never heard off from anyone else why does this happen god only knows but we all have a different chemical makeup so only one person might have a certain affect that a million others dont.

Any ways man have youve talked with your dr about these issues at all? Have you considered maybe these side affects came from stopping methadone at all. you were on it for what 2 years so your body might just be getting use to not haveing it in your system after so long. cause it seems alot of the side affects you are haveing almost sound like withdrawl in a way. I think you might have started way to low of dose on sub after switching and your body just didnt handle the change well. But im not a doctor. But i have read that alot of people have had trouble makeing this switch from methadone to suboxone cause its 2 oppostie things if you really think about it.

Call me crazy but what i think is going on is your on such a low dose off suboxone that your are going threw very very light withdrawl?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:05 pm 
Raider.....I'm sorry that some of the replies you've gotten seem confrontational and/or defensive towards you. I can see why you'd feel a bit like you're being interrogated or asked to defend your thoughts and feelings. For the most part, this is a very pro-buprenorphine site and when things which are construed as 'negative' toward or about the drug are delved into, some folks get kind of fired up. In my mind.....I can see both sides.....I actually kind of am on both sides. I have sung the praises of Suboxone and still feel like it's a lifesaver. I would rarely if ever discourage an opiate addict from trying bup to get out of the cycle of active addiction. I still feel like it's a wonderful treatment tool. And I understand the members who say that they don't want to see a bunch of negative talk about it due to the possibility that it would deter an addict from getting treatment with bup.
Having said that.....I do understand where you're at with this right now. I'm in a similar spot. And I've communicated with many others who have or are on bup who feel exactly the same way. It goes something like this: At first, the love affair with buprenorphine is passionate, all-consuming. You feel 'saved' by it. You feel a new hope that you haven't found in anything else you've tried before to get off opiates. You feel 'normal' and normal feels fantastic. And no wonder.....we've been on the rollorcoaster of agonist opiates for so long.....up and down and down and up.....receptors loaded then empty then loaded again. Our brain chemistry has been so completely f.....ed up that we can't even remember what normal, much less good feels like! Enter Suboxone......given the proper dose, the receptors are loaded, they're happy and full and those chemical levels in the brain are finally able to level off and stay at a steady state, given that we take our bup as directed. We're avoiding all those highs and lows and we feel, well 'normal.' And it's beautiful! We feel free....finally! We can go about our days and nights and just live......nice and steady. Our brains aren't screaming for drugs and it feels good....not 'high' good, just good. There is a sense of power and control over this thing and a sense that we may actually become ourselves again.
For many of us, after a time.....months to years sometimes.....we begin to feel that 'grayness' you mentioned, or we notice it......whatever. That we aren't exactly feeling things the way we used to, that we aren't actually experiencing the 'normal' highs and lows of life. We're not finding the type of pure enjoyment in the little things. We are acknowledging that something is different because of the fact that even though it's a partial agonist, the bup is still keeping our brains in a somewhat altered state. I don't personally see how anyone can deny that fact....simply because of the science. You can't tell me that we're the same on bup as we would be if we weren't on any sort of opiate. In my opinion, it just can't be. Now, whether that is good, bad or indifferent.....is up to the individual. Many are determined and are steadfast that whatever the case may be for that issue......the potential price of being on bup trumps NOT being on it by a long shot! And I cannot disagree with that.
As others have said....it is different for all of us. There is, within me anyway and obviously you Raider, an intense desire to be drug-free and feel all my feelings the way I used to. Does that mean that they are right and we are wrong, they are wise and we are foolish? I don't think so. I respect both schools of thought.
The thing is.....if you've been on bup for a good length of time, at or above the ceiling dose, are you really in a position to judge whether you'd feel different if your tried to wean or go off bup? We can all only base our personal positions on our own experiences. Sure, there is data for this and that and the other, but when it all boils down....it's in our own hands as to what we feel is best for ourselves as individuals.
As for me, when I was at or above the ceiling level of bup....I believed that I felt 'normal', felt my feelings acutely, was sharp and on my game as much as I ever was. And compared to being on full agonists......I certainly was in super great shape on bup. Now that I've tapered for a long time and been on low doses for a long time, I can see more what Raider is talking about. I know that when I've gone 48 hours without a tiny dose of Sub, I feel differently. I am much more emotional, I have a huge libido surge, I enjoy music more, I can sit and read a whole book and enjoy it and comprehend it, I feel those warm fuzzies when I am with my loved ones, I crave food more........I just feel a sense of natural endorphin production going on and it is different. Unfortunately....all that good stuff isn't all there is. Shortly after those feelings arrive I begin to experience some w/d symptoms and go ahead and allow myself another small dose of Sub. My hope being that eventually, the w/d will remain at bay and my brain will have truly 'rebooted' and I'll no longer need these tiny doses of bup to keep me going.
As has been discussed......I believe that it is beyond wrong that there have been no well-developed plans put in place to taper and discontinue this drug. It is a very hard drug to discontinue. However, I still believe, although it's taking me forever, that my brain will eventually come to normal functioning without the bup. I just think it takes a long, long time.
Now, of course, there are going to be folks who have underlying mental health issues and when they discontinue bup, it may cause a really big mess......having less to do with the bup and much more to do with the fact that this patient has perhaps undiagnosed issues needing to be dealt with. There is really no way to know for sure why we 'feel' the way we do. All we can do is make an educated guess and start ruling things out one at a time and let our physicians help us.
It can be dangerous to blame Sub for our problems, as there is a host of other variables that may be involved. But again, I can't say that I don't think it's possible that bup, or more accurately coming off bup can bring about some symptoms, side effects, mood problems or whatever. I often wonder if we all were just willing to stay at 8mg/day or more for life, if we'd all be happy and comfortable and without complaints regarding the drug. It seems to me that we run into trouble is when we taper to these low doses more than anything else. But if we want off.....what other sound choices do we have? For some of us, we used the bup as needed.....it's allowed us the time to stabilize and get our lives back together...and now we want it to be done. And it's uncomfortable and it's hard. But with good support and medical help as needed, I still believe it can be done.
Hang in there Raider....you've come a long way. I guess you will know when you finally are off completely if all the symptoms that are bothering you clear up. I will say, too, that I think even that is going to take some time. We've done a lot of damage to the way our brains work and it takes time for all that to heal and get back to normal functioning, assuming it even can happen! I believe it can personally and am in the fight with you! Hang tough and please stick around and keep telling us how you're doing.