It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Do you plan to stop Suboxone at some point in the future?
No-- I will likely take it for a long time. 32%  32%  [ 54 ]
I have no idea either way. 13%  13%  [ 22 ]
Yes-- I will definately stop within one year. 19%  19%  [ 32 ]
Yes-- I will stop after a couple years. 5%  5%  [ 9 ]
I'm in the process of stopping right now. 32%  32%  [ 54 ]
Total votes : 171
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What are your plans regarding suboxone-- do you plan to continue to take it indefinately, or do you have plans to stop taking it at some point?

Post subject: timeline of meds
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:30 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I think I am going to stay on them for quite some time yet. I still, after almost 8 months, feel the urge. Not that I would act on it, it's just there. So my plan is to stay on until I know 100% in my mind I can handle not being on the medicine.

Post subject: Stopping Suboxone
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm afraid. I don't want to go back to that kind of life. It's so humiliating. asking my 79 yr old Aunt if I could have some of her Vic's, knowing that she needed them. So I'm not going to even think about quitting Sub.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: stopping suboxone
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

For me I wanted to be off in 1 yr. and my doctor wanted that too. I stopped at .25mgs for five days with minor issues. But I've struggled with this disease for 20 yrs so I found a doctor that does believe in maintenance and am back on sub. Not worrying about tapering has made my recovery easier.
You need to do whats right for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've just started taking Suboxone about a week ago and I just want to hug my Doctor and thank him for saving my life. I've been struggling with a Vicodin and Ultram addiciton since 2001. Because Vicodin was getting harder to get I swiched over to Ultram. It took those incredibly painful detox pains away but it had a very very dangerous side effect ( which ofcourse didn't think applied to me) of causing seizures. After my third seizure ( about 3 weeks ago ) I couldn't take it anymore and forced myself to see a doctor about it. Thank God I did. For the past week on Sub. I've felt great. I've tried many times over the past seven years to quit but it always snuck back into my life. Now on Sub, I have no desire whatsoever to take any pills. I don't even think about them anymore. So amazing. I don't know exactly how long I will need to be on them but until I'm off them for good, I'm going to enjoy my life again without pills.

Post subject: Get Off The Train
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:07 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I'd like to be off this much sooner than later.
Don't know what it is exactly, but it doesn't feel right somehow.
It works as far as withdrawal issues, and getting my mind off the whole circus, but somewhere I'm not totally sold on the trade.
I'm at 8 mg, and I commend the person that got down to .25, but that in itself is somewhat alarming. It must be a very potent drug.

Post subject: Tapering Help
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:52 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been taking Subs for about 5 months and just last week my Dr. got in trouble with the Feds for welfare fraud and is no longer in the country. He has not started me on the weening off process at all. I have about 10 left. I have searched for weeks to try and find any doctor and no luck. Noone is taking ANY new patients. So I guess I am going to have to stop. I am currently taking about 8 mg per day. If I try and lower my dose by .5 per day will that cause me to still have the withdrawl during the taper? From what I have heard It doesn't really matter how low your dose is your still going to have symptoms. I am a straight A college student now and have battled addiction for years. I am really freaked out that I am going to get horribly sick for a month or longer and I will definitely miss school. That scares the hell outta me. I have worked so hard to change my life and now I am faced with an issue that I wanted to get away from when I got away from opiates. I should have listened to the nurse at the treatment facility that told me not to start taking it regularly. She said ultimately I will be a prisoner of Suboxone as much as I was to the pain pills. She was right on the money. I prey every day that I will find a Doc that will help me with the tapering off process. I fear that If I get to the point that I am seriously sick and cannot continue to attend school I will go back to opiates. If anyone has any advice for me I would appreciate it greatly.

I wish the best of luck to all that are on Suboxone and want to break the cycle of dependence.

Kristoffer Strayhorn
cvsteel@live.com

Post subject: Re: Tapering Help
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Being a prisoner of suboxone is like being in a minimum security prison with leaving privileges. I feel bad for you guys who have a hard time with your prescriptions. I am fortunate in that I have a good doc who I trust & who trusts me. I have no real desire to quit suboxone. I don't see the point. I'm 16 months off heroin and have no desire to do it again. Being clean feels good. If someone thinks being on suboxone isn't 'clean' that's their problem, not mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just started sub. 10 days ago and haven't yet stabilized on it yet. I have been addicted to opiates for 10 years and launched an assault on my body by using. Suboxone is a wonderful drug IMO. I even feel some effects I didn't look for such as , the depression I have delt with on a daily basis all of my life has lifted tremendesly, have tried every antidepressant available and nothing helped. Within 4 days of being on sub. I was going outside and working in my garden, something I hadn't done in at least 7 years. If I need this medication long term i'm fine with that because I do not want to live in the hell that was my life. :P

Post subject: lilgrl40
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I had the same experience as you, the first day I woke up after going to bed with suboxone under my tongue. I think you will come to realize that opiates had a lot to do with your depression, and your natural personality will begin to emerge the longer it's been since you stopped using. Of course there will be better days than others but looking back you'll realize what a fog you were living in, and realize that now everything seems a bit clearer. Congratulations, keep up the good work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For CVsteel: the nurse who talked to you at the facility should either get a better understanding of addiction or find a job where they remove tonsils, as they tend to stay gone. At the other sites on the internet you will frequently read that advice: take sub only short term, or you will get hooked on it! If you spend time on those sites you will notice something... over a period of months, many of the people who say that they took sub short-term and then stopped will be very vocal for awhile, and then... poof... they disappear. Gee, I wonder where they went?!

Most of us have played that game-- by the time we are in our 40's and older we have been clean over and over, many times... we learn that relapse occurs when we least expect it-- literally-- and that each relapse has more severe consequences for our relationships and our self-esteem.

I believe the main problem with Suboxone is the guilt some people feel when taking it, and so I try to help patients see that they have an illness. They didn't ask for it, and they don't 'deserve' it. They have been punished enought by the disease; now that there is a treatment for it they can live. THEY CAN LIVE! I see so much misery caused by the desire to be 'clean'... accept that you have an illness and treat it, and then enjoy life-- without the disease! I look forward to a day when opiate dependence is like any other chronic illness. Gosh, why don't people feel 'abnormal' and 'flawed' for being on meds to control blood pressure? Their own hearts can't manage things without the 'crutch' of drugs!? If those people don't care, people being treated for opiate dependence shouldn't care either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on suboxone for over a year now. My doc made me sign a contract saying I would be off of the sub within 6 months. He changed his mind about that after seeing enough patients relapse. He has decided that patients that stay on for a minimum of one year are more successful. My problem is that I have wd symptoms everyday while I wait for the 24 hour mark to take my suboxone. My nose starts running and I start yawning then start to get twitchy. It has been like this since I got down to the lower doses. I am on my third day of .5 mg per day. I cut the little 2mg pill into quarters now, I call them my crumbs. Even though the symptoms I have now are nothing compared to what I went through before I just want this to be over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When I first started Suboxone I thought I would within a couple years taper off. It's so hard to make longterm decisions early on :( it was my first time through treatment (even though I should have gone a long, long time ago) so your faced with all these decisions like maintenance meds or meetings or both? The program I went through was 12-step oriented as most are I'm told and so there were alot of people telling me maintenance meds weren't going to work (to clarify I'm not putting Methadone and Bupe in the same category, but not saying anything bad about people Methadone works for either) so I took the higher road or so I thought and choose meetings only. I felt more miserable in alot of ways than when I was using. The people at meetings told me it's normal from having to deal with feelings again when it seemed the only thing I felt was prolonged withdrawal, things that made me happy before I started using didn't even yield any satisfaction. What I'm trying to say ultimately is I've learned I don't have to be miserable to be clean. I also feel many times less prone to relapse and don't have crippling depression issues. Don't let people push you in either direction find out what the facts are and be open to people's individual opinions. It's over 2 years later and I'm the happiest I've been in a long time. My Dr. who suggested at first I start tapering when I graduated now thinks longterm is probably the way to go. I might just stay on Suboxone until I think I'll be ok on my own when or if that ever happens I also want to say that meetings have helped me alot as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm in the process of stopping Suboxone now because my insurance won't pay for it any more and I can't afford to pay for it out of my pocket. Plus, it's been 18 months and I feel ready to give it a go.

I've been taking 1mg for about 5 weeks now. My doctor wants me to go to 1mg every other day, but when I've tried that I get sick on the inbetween day. So I'm going to use the water method that Dr. Junig wrote about on his blog.

I'm going to start tomorrow by decreasing my dose to .8mgs. My plan is to go down .1mg every week or so, but I'll adjust if I have to.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey everyone, hang in there. Suboxone will be a generic medication come November (or October)! It will hopefully become much cheaper when it does too!

Post subject: Re: lilgrl40
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:19 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

dah_sab wrote:
I had the same experience as you, the first day I woke up after going to bed with suboxone under my tongue. I think you will come to realize that opiates had a lot to do with your depression, and your natural personality will begin to emerge the longer it's been since you stopped using. Of course there will be better days than others but looking back you'll realize what a fog you were living in, and realize that now everything seems a bit clearer. Congratulations, keep up the good work.
Thank u for your kind words, I have been in treatment for 21 days and the benefits are nothing short of miraculous. The only way I know to describe it is like a light was turned on inside me. I love life now whereas before I wondered why I was even alive. But that was the old me! I have a new awareness, and I know I can do some good . Even when my husband or my kids are being a pain in the a** HECK I LOVE THAT TOO.. I guess i've gotten a bit silly but i'ts only because i'm sooo grateful to have my life back. Best of luck and everyone will be in my thoughts.....

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:19 pm 
Durring the live chat the other night, I made a comment about the length of time someone should be on Subozone. I was called out on that comment. My comment was that six years is way too long for someone too be on Suboxone. Please, anyone here that is at that mark right now, I apologize to you. If you have certain circumstances that require you to be on Suboxone for that length of time, then you need to do what you need to do. For myself, I feel that if I cant get my act together in 6 to 12 months, then im doing something wrong. That's just me. It actually scares me a little too think that I wont be able to get off of it in six months. Anyway, im not a doctor. One year, two years, three years...everyone has different circumstances. It's a miracle drug, and I would probably be dead or in jail if I had not discovered it. Good luck to everyone!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:25 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been searching for answers for for a while. I am so glad I found this site via medhelp.

I have been at 1 mg per day after being on 16mg's for a little over 1 year. When I went down from 6mg's to 4mg's(6 weeks ago) is when I really started having w/d's. In hindsight, it began with an anxiety attack that I did not associate with the suboxone. I had not really experienced any symptom's prior to that. I have had trouble ever since then. I can't really remember the last time I cried, but I sure did about 4 weeks ago. Anxiety, depression, extreme irritability, major headaches, I can't describe the feeling in the back of my thighs(but I don't think I have to here), can't sleep when I'm supposed to, can't stay awake during the day, night sweats, day sweats, chills, yawns. Needless to say I am not functioning very well at all.

I have responsibilities as an employee, an employer, a father, husband, etc, etc. Apparently, I haven't even gotten to the worst of it? I suspect I am close to losing my job and I couldn't really blame anyone if I did get fired. I have been sick for far too long.

I called my psych. last week, (who I was not going to go back to because I was so disgusted with the lack of information I received about suboxone from him. I did plenty of my own research, unfortunately it was all from the official web-site. "Apparent mild withdrawal symptom's" was listed as a benefit. I now know I should have never started this in the first place. Everything is supposed to happen for a reason, rifght?) he told me I must be "sensitive" and to call him this week when he get's back from the Addiction Conference in New Orleans.

I don't want to go back to see him but I don't know what my options are. I would love to just stop right now, but if I don't have something to help ease some of the w/d symptoms, I am going to wind up in west Baltimore trying to buy some "short acting" relief. This suboxone is powerful, strange stuff. More so than what got me on it in the first place.

I celebrated a year anniversary at my AA home group not long ago but now I'm not so sure that I really should have. Last week, on day four at 1 mg, I ripped my house apart hoping to find a stray percoset that may have made it's way under the sofa cushions or something. Prayer is not working. I don't know what to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Maybe you're trying to taper down too quickly. I tried to jump down from 1mg to .5mg and had the same symptoms you described. So I went back up to .8mg and I feel much better. My doctor agrees that I should listen to my body and go slower if the withdrawals are too much.

He also prescribed me some meds to help me get through the withdrawal. Ambien for sleep, and then when the withdrawals were worse he gave me clonidine, which helped a lot with the yawning, sweats, leg crawlies, anxiety, and irritability.

Hot baths and hard exercise really help too. I never feel like working out, but I force myself and I feel so much better, and the feeling lasts for 24hrs.

If you read Dr. Junig's blog, The Suboxone Talk Zone, he talks about why it's so hard to taper once you get down below 4mgs or so, and he suggests a method for fine-tuning your taper by making smaller reductions. I started using his suggestion this week and it works.

By the way, I've been on Sub for 18mos, and I've been tapering for a long time now. It took me months to go from 2mg to 1mg, and like I said the jump down from 1 to .5 was too intense. So check out the blog. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've been reading through the comments with interest; I encourage more of you to take the time to vote. I see that over 1000 people have looked at the poll, but less than 50 have voted; it would be interesting to get a larger sampling.

The point that always baffles me is the one described by cvsteel. He talks about a nurse at a treatment facility who warned him about Suboxone-- that if he takes it, he won't ever get off of it. There is a huge error of logic in her statement that should be obvious, but by the responses of so many (not here, but in other forums) it appears that the issue goes over most addicts' heads.

The nurse, first of all, exhibits NO understanding of addiction. Those of you who have been addicted to opiates know the hell that is 'active addiction'; the loss of all of one's money, the constant lying to yourself and your loved ones, the constant sickness that makes us tell our kids to 'leave us alone'... and how guilty we feel for not being there for them. We all TRIED to stop on our own, over and over... so what the heck is that nurse talking about? When she says 'being on Suboxone is bad', WHAT is she comparing it to??? Her statement only makes sense if there is a choice. Yes, if we have a choice between suddenly being clean forever vs being on Suboxone, then absolutely be clean!!! But I don't know any addicts who have THAT choice. Yes, there is a choice besides Suboxone-- residential treatment for 90 days or more. It costs a lot of money, requires meetings for life, and has a success rate for one year of around 50%- That is the other choice.

So Mr. Steel, yes, we all wish to break the 'cycle of dependence', as you put it. And as I have said before, we all also would like world peace. But we have to live with the reality of our situations as human beings on the planet earth, as opiate addicts. And for those of us who fit that category, saying 'watch out for Suboxone' is like telling someone with cancer to 'watch out for chemotherapy'. I just don't get her point, and I don't understand why people keep repeating her silly comments.

I hear the anger that some people leave here; they claim they were 'tricked' into starting Suboxone. But you know what? Even if you are correct (and I find it a bit stretched that people who can scam illegal drugs for months or years suddenly are 'tricked' by a mean doctor with Suboxone!) even if you are correct, you have not lost anything for your time on Suboxone. You have probably spent less money than you would have spent using. And you are certainly not any worse off! Those who think they are worse off after Suboxone are simply wrong- you were already addicted to opiates, so what bad thing did Suboxone do to you? The argument that it is harder to get off is baloney-- methadone withdrawal takes 3-6 months, and oxycodone withdrawal is much more severe than coming off Suboxone, and lasts 1-2 months-- so what have you lost by taking Suboxone? If you say 'I wish I would have done residential rehab instead', then put your actions where your mouth is and go do it! Being on Suboxone did not make it more difficult for you to go do residential treatment-- if you are honest, you will recognize and admit that you didn't do it back then for the same reasons that you won't go do it right now! You would rather take the easier way... and that easier way is Suboxone. So what, exactly, are you complaining about?

I know what opiate addiction was like before Suboxone, folks. It was no picnic. Most people didn't do residential treatment back then, either. You know what they did? They just stayed addicted, until going on methadone, going to prison, or dying from the needle. That was opiate dependence without Suboxone. You all have it so much better now-- and yet many people insist on looking this incredible gift horse in the mouth.

I hope that if one of you comes across cvsteel's nurse, you ask her some of the questions I have posed. when she says to get off Suboxone quick, ask her... and then what? Since we know that the relapse rate for short term use of Suboxone is almost 100%, what does she recommend you do when you 'get off the Suboxone quickly'? Can anyone answer that for me? WHAT DOES SHE THINK WE SHOULD DO??

Please, everyone, take time to register so you can answer the poll. There is no big organization gathering your info; this is a simple site run by myself and a few helpful moderators, and one IT whiz. Use fake info to sign up; get an anonymous hotmail e-mail and use that to register, and we won't have any idea who you are. And then use this site to assert the right of all of us to live without the judgment by others. Opiate dependence is a disease that we did NOT ask for. DO NOT BE ASHAMED FOR TREATING YOUR ILLNESS PROPERLY. You have as much right to a clear conscience as any diabetic who once ate a few cookies, or any hypertensive who likes salt on his sweet corn! Use buprenorphine to live, to enjoy life, to stay safe... and when a better option comes along, we will try that. And if someday a cure comes along, that would be great too. But for now, use this site to empower yourself. If you see garbage here that doesn't belong here-- something intended to put down addicts who only want to live free-- let me know or let a moderator know. And if you want a bigger role, such as moderator or anything else (anyone want to try to get the chat rooms more active?) let me know.

Thanks for listening and for making this site happen.

Jeff J