It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Do you plan to stop Suboxone at some point in the future?
No-- I will likely take it for a long time. 32%  32%  [ 54 ]
I have no idea either way. 13%  13%  [ 22 ]
Yes-- I will definately stop within one year. 19%  19%  [ 32 ]
Yes-- I will stop after a couple years. 5%  5%  [ 9 ]
I'm in the process of stopping right now. 32%  32%  [ 54 ]
Total votes : 171
 Post subject: How to vote
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

please read my post from a minute ago... apparently, in order to vote, you must post. You don't need to write anything; just hit the 'reply' button, and enter a sentence or just hit the submit button, and you will be taken to the 'voting booth'.

Do your Democratic duty and vote!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Doc/Everyone else,

I created the ability for anyone to vote! You do not have to be registered now to vote. Hopefully, this will bump up the votes.

Also, you may notice 'Eliza' in the chat room now. Thats called a 'bot'. It automatically answers you based on what you say. I thought it would be kind of fun to mess with if someone is bored.

Post subject: suboxone purgatory
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I think i'll be on suboxone for quite some time. i've been taking it for almost a year now, wow haven't thought about it for a while, and i'm still at 24mg/day, still with cravings. I think my biggest problem, and why I think it's going to be a while is that i abused drugs from puberty to my mid 20's. This was the time in my life when I was supposed to be growing up, learning how to deal with life's ups and downs, and becoming my own person, instead I was in a ten year haze that after a year off opiates, I think i'm starting to come out of. all I know is drugs, they are a source of my love, hate, fun, anger, they are like my air, and i'm holding my breath. Many people have a life, then lose it to drugs, and when they get sober get there life back. I haven't ever really had a life to begin with....what am I supposed to do go back to age 13-14 again? I really need help here, I don't know how i'm SUPPOSED to live, and the 15 min/$200.00 visit with my doc is just not enough time to fix this problem. I don't feel like i'm moving forward anymore, just sitting here in suboxone purgatory.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, nothing is going to happen if you just sit there in your purgatory. And it's not likely that anyone is going to come along and show you how to grow up. You have to go out and look for the answers, and you may have to look in more than a few places before you find the ones that will help you get to where you want to be.

When I first got on Sub I read a lot of stuff at the SMART recovery website. They have online meetings and a library of articles that are full of good advice on how to deal with cravings, how to correct your screwed up thought processes, and various other tools for healthy and sane living. They are not a higher-power based recovery organization and they have nothing against medically assisted recovery, so that is good. They were a good fit for me, your mileage may vary.

You've also got to figure out what in life makes you happy, what you can do to have fun, how to keep your body healthy, ways to make friendships that don't revolve around drugs. All of this is really hard at first. In active addiction we isolate ourselves from the normal world. You have to get over that.

Force yourself to try new things. I joined a health club so I could go to yoga, swim, and just get the hell out of my house and do something healthy. I started a blog about my experience on Sub and that led to online friendships and paying work as a writer. You can do whatever you want - you just have to figure out what it is you want to do...besides get high.

Meetings are a good way to meet people in recovery. They know what you're going thru and can be a good support system.

Check out other stuff to see if you like it. Music? Books? Drawing? Playing board games? Cards?

Volunteer work is a good way to get off your butt and stop feeling sorry for yerself. Someone somewhere always has it worse than you. Google away, there are organizations that will match your interests to a volunteer opportunity. It feels good to give back.

Call your community hotline to find low-cost counseling, or ask your Sub doc for a referral.

Lastly, dude - no one knows who they are at 23, they just think they do. You are not as far behind as you think. You will be ok if you just start moving forward, even if you don't know where you're going you'll eventually get there.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am new to this and am grateful that I have found a discussion board concerning Suboxone. I have been prescribed suboxone for close to 2 years now. My doctor and I have both made the decision to have me stay on suboxone long term (or as long as I need it). I don't feel this is a "cure" for my addiction but it does treat my symptoms. I feel that its crucial to use this medication along with a "recovery plan" for this drug to work. I choose to attend NA and attend church along with suboxone. I have ran out of suboxone before and ended up going back out and using, at that time I wasn't recovering I was just staying clean on suboxone. After relapsing I had to ask myself "If I get back on suboxone what will i do different this time to stay clean?" I knew that I was just taking the medication and not making the changes in my life associated with my disease. I am grateful for this powerful medication and know that the medication alone will not keep me clean. For me I had to make small life long changes, along with sub. Im still working on my "character defects" and can't say Im going to be clean tomorrow but know that Today I will be clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

well i'm out of the funk I was in, and my main focus is on me, but I want to help others. I've gotten 3 old friends to try treatment, none stayed, but 2 of the 3 are clean, and i'm working on person #3 to give it a try again. Keeping busy is key to suboxone working well, and it's super easy to get into a funk, but a quick pep talk to yourself, or from another, gets you right back on track.....and moving forward. I love my life on suboxone, and never want to go back to that dark place ever again. I work on today.......stopping, well that's a thought for another day.

Jay Jay

Post subject: Poll
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

No-- I will likely take it for a long time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:07 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

suboxdoc wrote:

I believe the main problem with Suboxone is the guilt some people feel when taking it, and so I try to help patients see that they have an illness. They didn't ask for it, and they don't 'deserve' it. They have been punished enought by the disease; now that there is a treatment for it they can live. THEY CAN LIVE! I see so much misery caused by the desire to be 'clean'... accept that you have an illness and treat it, and then enjoy life-- without the disease! I look forward to a day when opiate dependence is like any other chronic illness. Gosh, why don't people feel 'abnormal' and 'flawed' for being on meds to control blood pressure? Their own hearts can't manage things without the 'crutch' of drugs!? If those people don't care, people being treated for opiate dependence shouldn't care either.

You are 100% correct that the biggest downside to being on suboxone is the guilty feeling that you are not really clean and you are substituting one drug for another. This might make sense if you don't remember what it is like to be an active addict or to be with someone who is actively using opiates everyday. This drug is unique and I consider it a miracle drug because someone who is practically suicidal with their drug use can change over the course of a week and over more time you can function and become a "normal person" and like the doc said above "THEY CAN LIVE"

Dr Junig, Thank you for all of your work, you do so much to help us all out and we all appreciate it. You are a good man and a great doctor!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:41 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I started my taper at 120mg of methadone about two years ago (I had been on 120 for 6 or 8 months), dropping 4-5mg at a time for the most part until I got to the lower doses under 40mg. Then I was doing 2-3 mg at a time until I got to 14, I switched directly to 8mg suboxone from there. I have decreased down to 2mg now, dropping every 2 or 3 weeks. I haven't decided whether I am going to buy a pill splitter and go though a whole other 3 week block at 1mg or just grit my teeth and kick. For some reason going from 8 to 6 was much harder than 6 to 4 and I am about 10 days into 2 mg now. I feel like I had the worst of the 2mg phase pass over the last 3 days. I finally woke up dry this morning and didn't have to change my t-shirt last night, and didn't have such a horrible headache when I sat up.

Pretty much every day I've been on suboxone I've been in withdrawal. I have not given myself the chance to see what it is like had I stayed on one dose for any bit of time longer than what it took for me to feel comfortable dropping more (usually I'd feel like the clouds were clearing up (figuratively speaking) about 2 days before I was planning on decreasing again) During my time on methadone I would give myself a month break every time I cleared 40 more mg (pill methadone wafers are 40mg, even though I was on the liquid... that seemed like a good way to keep track of mile markers I guess you could say.) But Since I've been on suboxone I feel like I'm on the low, low numbers and I'm so close, there's no reason to prolong it. The way I see it, after reading about the people on here who have stopped completely, I have a good month or 6-8 weeks before I really start to feel all of the withdrawals go away so the sooner I start taking zero suboxone, the sooner that will come.

Post subject: Use of Suboxone
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:00 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I've been on Suboxone for years now. Through my own experiments I know that it is causing my sleeping problems. It may not effect everyone like that but we all know that everyone is different.

Oh, you know what's weird? My doctor has prescribed me Klonopin Adderall and Suboxone of course.

When I moved away and went to another doctor they refused to fill my prescriptions. Of course, they couldn't fill the Sub prescription but for some reason they would NOT fill the Adderall and Klonopin together. They gave me no reason, simply said they would not do it.

I went to a doctor a few years ago and he wouldn't fill them either. He said he did not feel comfortable filling them and I basically got kicked out of their office. I had been going to that doctor for most of my life as a teenager and young adult, when I came back to them (after I had stopped taking suboxone) they treated me like some kind of weird o for trying to get Klonopin and Adderall filled even though I have been taking them for a couple of years...

I know Adderall is a stimulant and Klonopin is a Benzo (downer), but if one doctor prescribed it to me how can the other doctor refuse me treatment? Isn't that illegal? It should be illegal...

Anyway, good morning all! :lol:

PAINguin

-Edmund Burke
1729-1797

Post subject: Suboxone saved my life
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:46 am 
March 7th made 10 months on suboxone for me. I havent had one single problem since i've started. Im finally able too live a healthy, normal and productive life. I commend the creators of suboxone. Personally, i have no set date as too when im gonna be off of it. My outlook of it is as suboxdoc says, if a person has high blood pressure and gets it under control with medication, they dont stop taking the medication once their blood pressure is back too normal because the blood pressure problem will come back everytime. Everybody has their own needs when it comes too their addiction. For me, long-term suboxone treatment is gonna be my method. I have struggled with drugs for 8 years. In my opinion, short term treatment could not possibly cure 8 years worth of addiction. Its not a quick fix. I feel 100% clean and sober while taking suboxone. Its the difference in life or death for me and i've finally got my life back from that horrible devilish disease thanks too suboxone. I not only have my life back, but my mom and sister have their lives back as well. My addiction was ruinning the lives of my whole family. I look forward too waking up every day!! I wouldnt trade my outlook on life now for nothing in the world and i especially mean my addiction!! Suboxone saved my life!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Im on sub for pain mang and drug addiction. and i dont see myself stoping any time soon after the great advice i got from other members in the dosing part of this site. but i see myself stoping at some point but def not for the next 10 years!