It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

How is your Suboxone medication paid for?
Have Insurance: Paid in full (copay < $20) 10%  10%  [ 38 ]
Have Insurance: Paid some (copay $20-$200) 18%  18%  [ 64 ]
Have Insurance: Doesn't cover Suboxone 13%  13%  [ 46 ]
State Coverage: Paid in full (Copay < $20) 4%  4%  [ 16 ]
State Coverage: Paid some (copay $20-$200) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
State Coverage: Doesn't cover Suboxone 2%  2%  [ 8 ]
No Insurance: Parents (or relative) pay all or most 5%  5%  [ 19 ]
No Insurance: Patient's Assistance Program 3%  3%  [ 10 ]
No Insurance: I pay cash myself 40%  40%  [ 146 ]
Someone with a script for Suboxone shares with me 5%  5%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 365
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This poll is about how your Suboxone is paid for. Not the doctor visits-- just the medication. Please participate, and choose the option that fits the best with your situation. Note that answers are divided into 'have insurance', 'have state benefit' (like medicaid), or 'no insurance'-- with answers under those groups.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Another option for Rx purchase, is yes, we have insurance, but I have not wanted to try and use insurance for fear of losing the insurance. I pay cash for the suboxane. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:24 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

My Suboxone is paid for in full via the state's medicaid program with no copay.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:50 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

One of the positive things about losing my job recently was getting to go on state insurance. My private insurance (for which I paid almost 700 a month for) wouldn't pay without pre-auth which my Dr. wouldn't do (for any patients) and when I went on state insurance I only pay 3.00 for my script now. I about did a jig in the pharmacy the first time I went to pick up my pills on this insurance! I may never go back to work!

*Christopher Robin to Pooh

Post subject: Great poll Dr. J!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:13 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

All cash. All cash for the suboxone, and all cash for doctor visits. :?

When I was being scripted pain meds I also paid 100% cash for doctor visits, meds, and other procedures (epidural injections, etc...).

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:16 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

SORRY!

I wanted to include that I get 45 - 8mg suboxones a month. From Rite Aid, in the North East at $6.50 per pill, or right around there. The script comes to $292.xx for the 45 subs.

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have had three plans over time.

1) Did NOT pay for visits but did pay for 50% of the meds

2) Did NOT pay for visits and did NOT pay for meds - crappiest plan in my life

3) Current pays 50% for doc visit and I pay $70 for meds regardless of how many there are

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:15 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Being a Brit, I don't pay a penny. God bless the NHS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:31 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have paid cash for my Dr's visits and Rx of Suboxone since 2005. I am the dependant of a US Army Retired husband. Tricare Prime will NOT cover suboxone costs..only methadone in a 28 day program on the Army Post(hospital). So, I went outside the system, found my own Dr and get on Suboxone. It has costed my hundreds, if not thousands of dollars out of pocket but what would the cost have been if I have stayed on Vicodin??(I thin we all know the answer to that one) I wish the insurance companies would wake up! They paid for my addiction all those years! but not my recovery! Also, the drug company, Beckett Rickester(sp)...IMO is ripping us off at the prices we pay for Sub!($10 per tab in my area) I have no other choice but to give in to the high price of recovery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:31 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I have the default drug plan Medicare assigns every year, AARP this year, and my co-pay for a script of 30 8mg tabs was $3.15 US.

With Medicaid I would have had a monthly spend down of $109, then a couple bucks co-pay

I don't pay to see the doctor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My husband and I both take subutex but it's always a different story with my insurance. We are double covered, and my main plan won't pay my dr. visits but will pay for the medication. The secondary insurance sometimes pays, other times denies dr. visits. However, they are always throwing road blocks in the way which makes it a real hassle, like every 3mos or so we drop off our script, and insurance won't pay due to needing a 'Dr.'s preauthorization'. Isn't the prescription itself like a preauthorization? Anyway this takes 2wks in the least to get done. Right now they won't pay for mine because now they say they need tests and documentation of mental health therapy (we go to 12 step meetings). It's a game. If they are not wanting to pay because of the above, the insurances are fighting over who pays and blah blah blah. It is very irritating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:01 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I pay for my appointment which is $95.00 and I'm on the patient assistance program so my doctor walks in the room and hands me my pills for free. :-)

I was before paying for everything though which set me back about 500 dollars every month.

Post subject: suboxone cost/insurance
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

man atleast some of yall are lucky to have insurance. i have "pre-existing condition" and every company turns me down. my pharmacy charges like $7+ a pill.

can anyone point me towards a way to get insurance or aid?

my condition is, i need surgery on both my wrists for carpal tunnel, and i had a fractured jaw in 3 places, in which the titanium plates are loose.

any advice is appreciated. thank you

Post subject: Coventry Insurance
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Does anyone have coventry insurance and how much is the price for your sub prescription with the insurance? strength and quantity?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:10 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I pay $40.00 co-pay

I paid $40 years ago when I would get 90 8mg, and I pay $40 now and I get 45 2mg. I wish my insurance covered my habit years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:14 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

SneakyElephant wrote:
Being a Brit, I don't pay a penny. God bless the NHS!

In the UK we have the NHS (National Health Service) so all the posts I have read recently which mention Health Insurance, and paying or not for doctor visits, or whether subs are covered with insurance or not, etc etc etc. Well it just got me curious as to how it actually is over there in the USA. Because we have the NHS here, I basically don't have to worry about paying for a doctors appointment, or if insurance covers it for me. We do get national Insurance contributions deducted from any wage we earn and that goes to the government and in turn i suppose pays for the NHS, amongst other things (I'm not an expert - but this is the general gist of things). So it just shocks me when I read about you guys dealing with health insurance and worrying how the dr. visits and prescriptions are going to be paid for.

I'd just be interested if anyone could explain how it works in the USA, to me, in laymans terms.

I am so grateful i have the benefit of the NHS - i am never going to take it for granted ever again. i think we in the UK are very lucky to have a national health service. but let me tell you there are plenty here that still take the piss with it and it worries me that one day the government may make radical changes to it.

Lots of Love C x

Post subject: Blue Cross Blue Shield
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:04 pm 

I know the subject is just for the script but the frustration I am having is finding a doctor who will take my insurance for the office visit. The medication is covered with a $40 co-pay.

Here in California the first doctor I called took my insurance with my $25 copay and called it even. We are moving to Nevada in three weeks and most of the doctors on my BC/BS PPO list will only take cash. I may have found one but I'll know more when I go there for the first time.

I called my doctor here and they said it was legal because they have the patient sign a waiver to cover any extra cost the insurance company won't pay. To have someone sign a waiver of insurance during their withdrawal period prior to induction is not right.

Currently I have Blue Cross Blue Shield working on it and they have said that the doctor must take the insurance. I'm guessing the waiver will void that.

The battle goes on. I'll let you all know how it turns out. I may be in for a fast taper and jump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:07 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

@Babydoll

It's almost impossible to explain how insurance works in the United States because I'm pretty sure even our politician's and health insurance executives don't know either.

Basically, if you work and you're lucky enough to have a company that provides insurance, you get insurance. If not, depending on your age, sex, conditions, and other factors you have to pay for insurance out of pocket which can cost anywhere from 400 to thousands of dollars....Good luck finding an insurance company to cover you if you have diabetes or something like that. If, like a lot of American's you can't afford it then you just don't have health insurance like I did for almost four years. Sure, most states will have medicaid or state sponsored healthcare but it's literally impossible to get on unless you're pregnant. It's not like the states are advertising it on TV or helping you out in the long, long process which can take up to a year to be accepted in. Seniors will generally have medicare, which is from the federal government, not the state.

Every healthcare company has different rules and guidelines and coverage's. Some, just cover everything. Some, you need a doctor's signed medical necessity form for a prescription, some only partially cover meds, some cover nothing. Some people every time they go in pay a copay, so say every time they pick up their Suboxone it costs them $40. Some people, have premiums. Their company pays the first 1200 of everything, then you enter into your premium which for example cost 3,000 dollars. So, in that time NONE or only part of your meds will be covered, but your doctor appointments will be. The cost of the appointments and meds will work toward your premium which once it is meant, means almost all prescriptions that are covered by the insurance will come to zero dollars. It's literally insane how different everyone's quality of coverage is. Some, do this weird 80/20 things where the insurance pays for everything 80 percent of the time...So, sometime you'll pick up your meds and it's fully covered, sometimes you go in and it's partly covered, and sometimes it's not at all covered. Imagine going to the pharmacy and having no idea if you're paying 200 dollars for your script or paying nothing!

Before, a child could only stay on their parents healthcare till between 18-20 and if they weren't in school, If you go to school you can stay on till finished with school. Now, thanks to some of the new rules of Obamacare, children can stay on healthcare regardless till they are 28. Aside that, no one is really sure what Obamacare will do. Some Republicans like Paul Ryan have a healthcare bill they want to pass which will give Seniors vouchers to pay for healthcare costs or purchase their own healthcare of choosing. There are other Republican plans out there which some people say will only cover one to three million Americans, while Obamacare as they call it will cover 30 million American's. Democrats say that Obamacare will save money, Republican's say it'll cost more money. Basically, it's one big joke. One side says one thing, one side says another thing. One thing that is for certain is that if we were to go back and repeal Obamacare, it would cost us upwards of 230 billion dollars.

America pays more than any other country per a person for healthcare, yet our healthcare system is ranked 37th globally. We are SO fat in America that obesity costs us 147 billion dollars a year in healthcare costs!!!

I've been a big proponent for a while for just giving EVERYONE national healthcare just like France, just like the UK, just like Canada.....Just like EVERY OTHER civilized nation in the world has. America spends $515,400,000,000 on it's defense budget every year.... NEARLY TEN TIMES the cost of the second ranking country on the list, France which spends $61,571,330,000 . So, have no problem buying missiles, tanks, and planes but giving our citizens free healthcare? NO WAY!!!!!!!

A lot people will say: "Well, look at all of the people who come to America from the UK and Canada to get operations done, blah blah blah." Well, the truth is the only people who can do that are people with money which apparently not everyone has.

So, did I manage to "clear" things up for you? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:32 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Before I lost my job and when I first started Suboxone, my insurance covered my visit and I paid a $20 co-pay. My rx was $50 out of pocket.

When the doctor switched me to generic Bupe, my office visit was the same and my rx dropped to $5 OOP.

After I lost my job and found out I was pregnant, I got on Medicaid. Now, I have to pay $63 per visit OOP and my rx is $1 OOP. I'm not sure how long my rx will be covered by Medicaid, though...and this freaks me out! I need to make some phone calls and figure this out soon, so I can be prepared to taper and jump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:06 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

When I started sub, I had insurance through my job. I paid a 20$ copay to see the doc, and 40$ for 90 8mg tablets, almost 6 months in my doctor put me on the film and my insurance paid for 2 fills ( I paid my normal 40$ for 90 strips) then my insurance dropped me. I then switched to generic and paid cash out of pocket about 240$ a month, I've since tapered down to 30 8mg a month I still have no coverage and I pay cash out of pocket, my new doc won't give me generics so I still pay 241$ cash for 30 strips, and 50$ a month for visits. I miss my old insurance before the strips came out.

So anyways -NO INSURANCE - I PAY CASH out of pocket.