It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

How long do you plan to stay on Suboxone?
As short as possible-- a few weeks at most. 17%  17%  [ 88 ]
About 6 months. 10%  10%  [ 51 ]
One-two years. 20%  20%  [ 101 ]
Five years or more. 13%  13%  [ 67 ]
For the rest of my life-- unless something better comes along. 32%  32%  [ 167 ]
I leave it totally up to my doctor, and he doesn't say! 6%  6%  [ 33 ]
I take it a few days, stop a few days, then take it again. 2%  2%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 516
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would like to get a sense of peoples' attitudes about the use of Suboxone; do you plan to use it for a short period of time, or for the rest of your life, or somewhere in between?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:04 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

suboxdoc wrote:
I would like to get a sense of peoples' attitudes about the use of Suboxone; do you plan to use it for a short period of time, or for the rest of your life, or somewhere in between?
I'm not even sure that it's appropriate to post to thread that's a poll, but I'm going to anyway because it always seems that a poll comes ever so close to what my response is but never quite there (anyone else have that problem?).

I chose 1-2 years because I will have been on Suboxone for a year in July and, although I want to get off eventually and my doctor seems to be implying that should happen within the next year, I'm seriously afraid of relapse. I've even told my sponsor that I think that it's the Suboxone keeping me off other opiates (not the twelve-step program) because, when I lower my dose, my head gets going even more than usual. In fact, I've skipped doses once I was at 4mg, tempted to get "under the ceiling" and just that much closer to being able to feel the effects of an opiate if I were to use. In the past 11 months, I had a few days when I was drinking, I screwed with a Tramadol script, and "misused" my Flexeril (the last two seem almost unfair to count as abusing anything). Not once, however, have I used an opiate.

So, my actual vote is: 1-2 years I hope(unless I need longer and my doctor will agree and maybe longer even then)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:40 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey, i can totally relate to you. I picked the same option but I'm thinking I'm not able to come off it any time in the near future even though my doc wants me off it. I have been on it 13 months and my sub doc is pressuring me to come off. I thought I was ready but I'm not. (I have gone from 16mgs to 8 mgs successfully) I m thinking of looking for a dr who will keep me on it long term. I really think I will relapse if I come off it by the end of summer like my doc wants.

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sorry to hear you guys are being pushed by your Sub docs to taper off but I'm just curious what does your doctor say the reason is for him/her wanting you to stop taking Suboxone? Have you tried telling your doctors that you're not comfortable with tapering off? Did your doctors say they would only prescribe the medication for a set amount of time when you first started on the Suboxone? If they don't seem like the type to be upset easily I'd encourage them to look at the current studies/literature regarding Suboxone and how those who have been on Suboxone for awhile and then stop are pretty much just as likely to relapse as someone who has been taking opiate agonists like heroin, morphine, methadone, oxycodone, etc. According to everything I've heard Dr. Junig and my personal Subox doc there's just no scientific evidence that supports the use of short term Suboxone maintenance. Good luck guys and please don't ever feel bad posting a question or thought even if the thread begins with a poll :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:20 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

My doc is actually pretty cool and I think if I talk with him about it he will consider keeping me on it. But, I figured I would at least try to taper off and then if I have problems let him know. I think he will understand. But, if not I will call around and find a dr who will.

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm a 46 year old opiate addict and I've been actively using opiates since I was about 17 years old. I don't know anyone who has used more opiates than me. I'm not bragging, I'm actually quite disgusted with myself about that and it's something that my therapist and I talk about pretty regularly.

Anyway, my doctor and I both firmly believe that I should stay on suboxone indefinitely. Opiate Replacement Therapy is pretty much standard operating procedure in the medical community for people who have Hep C and yep, I've got Hep C and I've been infected for at least 20 years, maybe longer.

Suboxone has given me my life back. I have NO problem whatsoever staying on it. And I am fortunate enough to have found a doctor who will keep me on it.

Post subject: none of the above
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:58 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I am not responding to the poll because I'm really not sure of how long I'll stay on sub. I've been on it over a year but only now do I really think I'm starting to stablize and getting my addiction into remission. I am not sure what my doctor was thinking when he initially prescribed suboxone...but 3 weeks in, when I had a follow-up appointment, he instructed me to taper off. But that didn't work out, so at the next appointment he refilled my script, I guess with the idea being "indefinite" regarding how long to stay on...But he encouraged me to try to take as low a dose as possible. So now...i don't know how long to stay on it, I am just glad that I have finally stopped relapsing all the time, and it seems like the thing to do is focus on trying to be stable for a while before thinking about getting off sub. However, the cost may become a problem for me. And...ultimately I'd rather be able to get off this medication if possible. But....as alternative to relapsing into heroin addiction--clearly taking suboxone is a better option! So...I"m just going to wait and see for now I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Comic Sans MS]Were this a discussion board for people with hypertension (high blood pressure) and were taking a drug like Verapamil for it, as opposed to a board for those with opiate addiction and taking Suboxone, would we even be having this "stay on it/get off it" discussion?
Unlikely....

Although I don't personally subscribe to the "disease" model with regard to addiction, in this example the parallels are clear.
Why should we be made to feel it is less than acceptable (especially for those of us with long-standing addiction histories) to take a daily medication that literally means the difference between life and death for us?

If it were the Verapamil we were taking the more likely scenario would be friends/family patting us on the back/giving us a quick hug and saying, "So glad to hear you're taking your medication!!"

The stigma of addiction......
*sigh*
[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Comic Sans MS] [/font]
Well I put down forever because for myself, someone who has had chronic pain their whole life, I really feel that if I was to stop Suboxone, I know I would go back to opioids because of the pain, and of course cause of my addiction to them.

So as far as I'm concerned, this is my life and I want to make the best out of it, and Suboxone is a part of that, the same way my asthma meds, anti-Ds, and allergy medications will always be a part of my life, and they all give me a better quality life. But of course if they don't ever plan on lowering the price for Suboxone, like generics, then their maybe a problem. But then again I keep reminding myself that if I stop Suboxone, I know I will find the money for pills, so I know I will always find money for Suboxone because I rather spend $400 on Subs then $400 on something else, it's worth every penny to me.

But as far as my doctor I see now, when I had my first appointment with him (my induction), the nurse said that their program lasts about one year, but I've been going there for almost 2 years (in 2 weeks it'll be 2 years) and he hasn't pushed me at all to taper, and I've even asked him about my "time limit" in his office, and he's always reassured me that as long as I'm doing what I'm suppose to be doing (passing UAs, going to meetings, taking the suboxone exactly as prescribed) then I have nothng to worry about, but if for some reason he ever changes his mind, then I will find another doctor. But he's told me that he has about 6 patients that will on them probably for life, he doesnt think I'm one of them, but we will see.....

-sillypinkbunny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

suboxdoc wrote:

Rest of my life, if I were a diabetic would I stop taking my medication or my insulin? NO! I believe some people have endorphin deficiencies at birth, much like diabetics, I really, really do! I firmly believe that!

Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream."
Edgar Allan Poe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow what a cool poll can’t believe this is the first time I’m seeing this thread!

Well I wish I could say for a year or less or even just 5 years but who am I kidding ill be on SUBOXONE the rest of my life do to my injury. And I rather be on sub then 200 mgs of oxy like I was for years. But I do have hope that something better might come out down the road in the future so I always keep my hope up that one day ill be able to stop takeing all forms of pill or drugs for that matter for my knee injury!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:05 pm 
I must say i do agree!! Nobody, especially our doctors would be telling us that we have to stop our diabetes medicine because we finally got it under control. It just dont make sense. The reason its the way it is, is because people are so undereducated about this medicine and addiction for that matter. Its the stigma that surrounds this medication and i just dont see it going away. People are always gonna feel the way they do about it unless a miracle happens and people realize how life and death this disease truly is. If people would stop and think for a second, hmm they take a medication that keeps them off of drugs, from roaming the streets causing trouble etc., or they dont take this medication and they're out doing drugs and possibly gonna kill themselves. Thats what the outsiders and the undereducated need to think about. Its so much safer regardless of opinion, that a person take a medication under a doctors care, rather than being out putting poison in their body. Possibly overdosing or even ingesting something that kills them. It a pretty clear choice, unless people are really that heartless that they just dont care about people who struggle with this horrible horrible problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm young but I plan on being on it as long as possible. He told me I don't have a time limit so I'm not planning on stopping it. Just like diabetes, I have a disease and chronic pain so I'm going to accept this med as daily treatment for my disease in order to keep it in remission.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:51 pm 
I'll be on it until I can get in at the methadone clinic, probably around 5-6 months more. I just cant afford to be on the amount of subs that I need, Im supposed to be on 16mgs which would cost 500$ for the meds plus the 86$ doctor visit so around 600$ a month which is to expensive. When I get on methadone it will only cost me 300$ a month no matter how high a dose they put me on and it also comes with daily treatment groups, the decision is a no brainer, I want to feel relief and actualy be maintained for once instead of taking 4mgs when I need 16mgs so methadone is my only option. Im not gonna lie though Id rather be on a full agonist for maintenance anyway its just gonna offer ME (its whats best for me Im not saying its whats best for anyone else) alot better of a life not craving everyday despite being on suboxone and wanting to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

In addition to my disease of addiction, I have a terminal illness for which there is no cure, so i'm staying on sub till God calls me home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Your story sound just like mine but I am 56. I'm not proud either but when I hear people talk about 5 or 6 perks a day for a few years I just shake my head. I wish I had turned things around at that point in my addiction. But NOOOO. I had to push the envelope to permanent brain damage. Most of the time I just sit at the edge of my bed staring off into space or at the tv. I have lost all of my creativity and energy. I am quite isolated and don't seem to fit in anywhere now. Praying all day everyday that things will get better.
junkie781 wrote:
I'm a 46 year old opiate addict and I've been actively using opiates since I was about 17 years old. I don't know anyone who has used more opiates than me. I'm not bragging, I'm actually quite disgusted with myself about that and it's something that my therapist and I talk about pretty regularly.

Anyway, my doctor and I both firmly believe that I should stay on suboxone indefinitely. Opiate Replacement Therapy is pretty much standard operating procedure in the medical community for people who have Hep C and yep, I've got Hep C and I've been infected for at least 20 years, maybe longer.

Suboxone has given me my life back. I have NO problem whatsoever staying on it. And I am fortunate enough to have found a doctor who will keep me on it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

suboxdoc wrote:
My doctor seems to think I will be on it the rest of my life but I keep thinking I will be able to get off it. I have been on it just over a year now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:02 pm 
Fogmussher wrote:
Your story sound just like mine but I am 56. I'm not proud either but when I hear people talk about 5 or 6 perks a day for a few years I just shake my head. I wish I had turned things around at that point in my addiction. But NOOOO. I had to push the envelope to permanent brain damage. Most of the time I just sit at the edge of my bed staring off into space or at the tv. I have lost all of my creativity and energy. I am quite isolated and don't seem to fit in anywhere now. Praying all day everyday that things will get better.
junkie781 wrote:

Im the same way, I dont minimize the effect being addicted to opiates can have on a person but if you are on vicodin or percocet (not that oxycodone isnt strong but if you are on percs you are more than likely taking like 50-100mgs daily tops cuz of the tylenol) you should exhaust ever option before you decide to get on opiate replacment therapy. I tried everything before I got on suboxone and failed miserably, I never wanted to get on suboxone during my active addiction because of possibly getting blacklisted for getting pain meds if I ever need them later on in life so making the decision to take suboxone was only because my addiction was out of control and I was taking huge amounts of opiates and mixing them with un safe amounts of benzos cuz I couldnt catch a nod anymore on opiates alone and I would do anything just to get that feeling. Getting on subs for a small amount of a weak opioid like hydrocodone is ludicrous in my opinion but its only my opinion so I hope people dont get offended. Doctors and reckitt act as if suboxone is not a strong opioid by giving out there pretty little booklets and here to help pamphlets during induction that tout suboxone like its some painless medication to get off but it is a very big step up from hydrocodone but its still a life saving medication and I had carefully weighed the pros and cons before I got on it and am more than willing to go through some withdrawal if I ever decide to get off it, withdrawal is a small price to pay to completely turn your life around.

Post subject: Pretty leaflets
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I don't think most doctors even realize the strength and implications of Suboxone. They are just told they now have help for addicts and fling it out there. I was one who definitly needed it but in some of the groups I attended there were people that were on Sub that had not graduated to Oxycontin. I just wonder if they went on into the frying pan so to speak by starting the Sub. I don't mean to down play the discomfort of withdrawl from percocet 10 for a year of two but I don't think that is actually life threatening as 6 80mg oxycontin a day for a couple of years would be.

Post subject: lifer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

For me I have only been on subs regurly for a month. But already I can feel the difference and the motivation to be clean. Man, this stuff really works!! I agree about people that are not on strong meds to take subs. Well who am I to judge. Maybe this could be the help they need before it gets any worse. So now thinking about it it probly would be a good idea for them to take subs. I think they are getting high though. If they are not than they do need them. But back to the poll. I think I will have to take subs forever. like someone else said It is a brain defficiecy. I beleive this to be true. thanks and good luck to all. Happy New Year!!!