It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

What do you think is most important while in Suboxone Treatment?
Online Support Meetings 22%  22%  [ 26 ]
Face to Face Support Meetings (specifically for Suboxone users) 37%  37%  [ 44 ]
Private one on one counseling through your prescribing physician 41%  41%  [ 48 ]
Total votes : 118
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I voted face-to-face, sub user specific because i started going to NA immediately with my sub therapy and got so much out of it until i came clean about the therapy and was thence invited to participate only in a passive manner...which totally doesn't work. My doctor wouldn't be a great deal of help. i honestly feel like i know more than him about it from all the research i did and ppl i talked with who have first-hand experience. my doc just spouted out the same shit you can find in the literature that accompanies the meds.
i haven't tried online counseling (or maybe i am right now!). but i am going to look into the SMART community experience now that i have burned my NA bridge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is a great topic. Honestly I think it more so depends on the person than the options. Some people learn better hearing other people in recovery’s stories or you have a person like me who gets so much more out of 1 on 1 getting 100% full attention for however long your app is. This works well for me because with it just being 1 on 1 you are able to tackle more than 1 thing a app. But at the same time that could be a bad thing because you might be rushing something that needs more time. So like I said it all depends on the individual more than anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

IM ANOTHER ADVOCATE FOR SUBOXONE AND IT SAVED MY LIFE. That said I believe the Doctor may be the most important part to the whole process, I was lucky and found a good one. There are so many factors that come into play with individual addictions its hard to pinpoint just one that can help lead to success. The one thing I think can help the most is some kind of monetary support / donation system for the people who cannot afford the Doctor visits and prescription payments. The doctor I see is very expensive and while his office does participate in the R&B assistance program it doesn't give them the ability take more than three or four patients on the program. I have health insurance through my job but the Doctor does not accept for the Suboxone treatment and works on cash only basis. The initial visit was $350 for the induction and then every month I pay $200 to see the Doctor and get my prescription that my insurance reluctantly decided to cover which still costs me $50 a pop at the pharmacy every month. To me it is worth any amount of money to have my life back and not live an addiction fed lie but for most people in this day and age that kind of money is just not possible to come up with. I used to spend 3 to four times this amount on my addiction so I am not struggling by any means but for some people it is just not possible!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Oh yea I forgot my vote! I think the online counseling helped me the most hearing the stories of others and getting unbiased support on these forums has been priceless in my pursuit of cleanliness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I think face to face support is needed. I stuck with AA as appose to na due to the drugs being traded/sold outside the meetings.

I did not collect key chains for clean time since I was on BMT but I did learn a lot of tools on staying clean for when the day came. Now that I am two weeks clean I am SOOOOOOOO glad I went to meetings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Interesting post and thanks for sharing. Some things in here I have not thought about before. Thanks for making such a cool post which is really very well written. I will be referring a lot of friends about this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:52 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I think 12 step groups are great because there is so much room to learn what you need to help yourself and just leave behind whatever doesn't apply. That said, I have never been able to stay abstinent from just meetings alone. I've even gotten high in locked inpatient treatment. I alsO always have found a way to use in jail. The cravings are just to intense for me even after many months clean. On sub I don't even think about opiates. And my doc is great, he only makes me come every 3 months if I'm doing well. No unnecessary bullshit and he takes Medicaid. I pay $1 per visit to see him!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have the most amazingly understanding, kind, no b.s., just 100% wonderful Suboxone doctor that you could ever want. The staff is totally just as great. But seriously, he talks to me. Better yet he LISTENS. Never do you feel like a loser or any way inferior to anyone because your an addict. He tells me that "People don't run diabetics down for taking insulin for their disease & you shouldn't let anyone run you down for taking medication for yours." First time I heard that it was like a lightbulb went off in my head. But if you don't have a doc that counsels then I'd prefer one on one. Ideally with someone with more than textbook knowledge of addiction & recovery.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know this is a very old thread but I'm new here and wanted to share my induction/current treatment exp. The clinic I go to does inductions one day per week. They call in the script the day before and you're told to bring it with you in the morning, and to be in pretty moderate/severe wd's. We all took our first dose as a group of about 10, and we went on to mandatory group meetings. After two hours they gave us another dose, then more groups. They would give us 2mg in between group meetings until we were comfortable and that was what our Rx would be. The next day was the same thing- dose in the am then groups all day, and again the following day. It was great to be with the same group of people all day every day, we really opened up, and we're experiencing everything together. We became an instant support system, bonded by our struggles. For the first few months you go weekly, and they tell you to attend at least 3-5 groups throughout the week, tho you are more than welcome to attend as many as you wish, on some pretty amazing topics. They even have acupuncture! After a pretty long while of testing clean and attending regular groups they bump your Rx to bi-weekly, and then eventually monthly, where I've been for the past 6-ish years. I don't attend groups anymore, and really haven't since the beginning of my induction, but every time you go to get your new script you meet one on one and talk about everything. As with anything, some are better than others, but I think they really do help me. Some I've been seeing for years and feel very comfortable with and be completely honest about what I'm going through, my feelings, concerns, etc. I am not a fan of the groups anymore and think the one on one is definitely the most beneficial. Having that one on one time really helps you feel like more than just a number. I do know people who couldn't survive without groups, and everyone is different, but that's what I think is most beneficial for me!! :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:56 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

In my situation I think that the education that I received from my first doctor was woefully inadequate. He just gave me a brochure from R.B. I had expensive insurance at the time with $10 dollar co-pays for doctor visits and RX. Unfortunately all of the providers in my area were cash only and suboxone was not on the formulary. I paid $200 an office visit after $800 for induction. I also paid $25 for urine drug screen at each appointment. A typical office visit was as follows: Dr. called me into his office and gave me a cup to pee in, I went down the hall to the ladies room and peed, while I was doing that Dr. was writing the script, we talked for about 90 seconds to set up next appt and I was done. I can understand why some people think that there is a conspiracy on the part of some doctors to make easy money.
I found this site about a year after I started taking suboxone. I have learned a great deal. Some that I should have learned from my doctor. I learned about the ceiling effect and how long suboxone would work after the dose that I was on, 16 mg.
After 13 months with the cash only doctor, I found a psychiatrist who was also a sub doctor on the provider locator on the site. Also suboxone was added to the insurance formulary. The new doctor was very caring and was compensated at a lower rate from my insurance. That provider moved across the country, and I found another psychiatrist that rx suboxone. About that time I turned 65, so went on medicare. My doctor still sees me with reimbursement of only about $65 from my insurance. I am sure that I am a loss to the clinic.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:44 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

hello. I don't really like the meetings, and I go to a therapist. I think the therapist is great to get one on one interaction. I am more likely to get more out of a one on one session than listen to people speak that aren't related to me and what I am going through,. That may sound harsh, but its just how I learn and how my mind works. And I certainly don't want to get on stage and give a speech about me and my sobriety. Not because I dont want to help people, but because I have a major case of stage fright. So, I think therapy is better for me. And I cant speak for anyone else.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I voted for face-to-face support meetings, even though I personally feel they didn't help me very much through my career as an addict. I did this because I really believe the average first attempt an addict makes at recovery is woefully inadequate to succeed. I really think the prescribing doctor should look at all angles and "go with their gut" - they see more addicts a day than most family doctors see in a year and they know what dedication a patient will give to their sobriety.

Counseling for first timers (for any addiction) should be mandatory, and after that? How likely is this person to relapse? How likely is this person to be around influences that will tempt them?