It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:29 am 
New Poster
New Poster

was taking vic, norco, lortab, lorcet for past 5 yrs but 5-10 a day, past 3 months was taking 20 a day of lortab 10/650mg, was in 24 hrs of wd's when started suboxone, was given 2 1/2 8 mg tabs before i felt better and was told i could take more that day if needed and to take 8mg first thing the next morning, i took 8mg the next morning when i woke up even though i felt fine then another 2 hrs later, then another and so on until i took 4 or 32mg all together for the day and had a severe headache and my legs/muscles/joints were still hurting,and extremely tired... the next day took a total of 3 8mg tabs but was still hurting, seemed like i would feel worse after i took the subs, lowered the dose because i thought maybe it was to much, still feel like crap, can anybody tell me what to do? no cravings, just feel like horrible withdrawals after taking subs, have not had any opiates in 10 days, should i just stop the subs? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi ladybug and welcome to the forum,

I'm sorry that I don't have any clear answers for you. You're obviously on a high enough dose that you shouldn't be having any prolonged withdrawals. You said you lowered the dose, but still felt like crap. How low did you go? You might indeed need to lower the dose even more, but please know I'm just speculating. I'm curious, what do your pupils look like? Maybe the next time you dose, try only 8 mg and see how you feel for several hours before adding any more. Again, I'm just speculating and am not a doctor or medical professional of any kind. If I were you I'd work on the dose a little longer before just stopping the sub. I wish I had better answers for you.

Again, welcome and please let us know how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:44 am 
New Poster
New Poster

i tried taking half a pill, one whole one only for that day, then one morning i waitd until 36 hrs to try and get some of it out of my system, then started out with 2mg, then hr later 2mg, did this every hr until i reached 8mg by 1pm, was very tired and legs ached and just felt blah like i had taken a handful of lortabs, not high, just tired and hazey, pupils were smaller than normal but not pinpoint...then that nite at 9 took a whole 8 mg hoping it wld make me feel better, i felt better but except tired and still feel achey....i didnt take any yesterday and havnt taken any yet today, maybe suboxone doesnt agree with me...idk, very frustrated, i wanted to feel the way everyone else feels when they stop the opiates and start suboxone and i dont.....thanks

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:50 am 
Hi ladybug, sorry you're having so much trouble. I think it's going to be hard to pinpoint the problem because your dose has been all over the place. First, you said you took an 8mg sub every 2 hours until you reached 32mg. (I'm not trying to pick on you, but even an IV heroin user shooting multiple bags a day wouldn't take 8mg of sub every 2 hours). Then, to counter that approach you took only 4 mg and waited 36 hours until your next dose. You said you took 2 1/2 the first day and woke up the next morning feeling fine. That would indicate that you should have stayed at that doses until seeing the doctor again.
I'm also wondering if your doctor told you that Sub is normally dosed once a day (some doctors say twice). Please call and ask him/her what dose he wants you on and stick to it religiously for at least a week. Even if it isn't the optimum dose, your doc can help you make an adjustment at your next appointment.
While most people get relief of their worst withdrawal symptoms after induction, many do report headaches, tiredness or a spacey feeling the first week, but please stick it out because your body will adjust. For the headaches, some say to spit out the saliva in your mouth 10-15 minutes after your dose dissolves because the naloxone is left in the saliva. Also, take ibuprofen or other OTC headache remedies as needed.
I hope you feel better soon and don't give up on the Sub. Let us know how it goes.
Lilly

Post subject: Don't Give Up!!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Ladybug- I am so sorry you are going thru this. I have only been on Subs a little over 4 weeks, however, I will tell you that dosing was probably the biggest challenge for me. I too had the head aches, and aches, and so on....everyone here has given you excellent advice. (spitting the saliva out really helped!!) Please don't give up. I am not a doctor, and this is just my opinion (and everyone else has pretty much said the same thing) you need to try to dose at the same time every day, so you are able to have a steady level of Sub in your system. Taking, more and more and then more, is counter productive. I do not know what dose your doctor wants you on, but when I first started, I was told to stick with the lowest dose possible, to keep the cravings, and W/D's away. The only time people usually take multiple doses thru out the day is if they are doing it for pain issues. And even then, it is in very small increments.

Taking a higher dose than is actually needed can cause the tiredness, and irritability. Once again, this is just IMHO- I would contact your doctor and ask what dose he/she wants you at per day, and try to stick with that for a couple of days, and see how you feel. I hope you feel better soon. Take care, and keep posting and let us know how you are feeling. Happy 4th of July...Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:00 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

ok, let me try to explain better, on induction day, my firtst 8mg pill was at 1030am, my second 8mg pill was at 1130am, then 1/2 of 8mg (4mg) at 1230p, then was sent home at 1pm and was told by the doc to take more that evening if i needed too but not to exceed 32mg, 3pm took 1/2 of a 8mg(4mg) d/t leg pains then another half a cpl hrs later for leg cramps and pain, took another half ended up taking 32mg on the induction day, on the second day i took 8mg sub when i woke up like my doc told me too even though i felt fine, then took half, 4mg, around 1 pm, then 8mg around 5pm, then another half, 4mg, at 9pm, all because of legs,joints hurting, saw the dr on the 3rd day, before appt had taken 1 1/2, 12mg, prior to md appt felt ok but still achey, kept a journal of how and what time and why i took the subs and showed this to the dr, he and RN both told me to take 4 of the 8mg tabs a day to maintain and could reduce the dose later and to not take them all at one time to take them every 4 hrs, did this for the rest of that week and felt horrible, started looking and reading on these forums about how that dose was prob to much, so on sunday i only took 8mg tab, still hurting so waited until hurting worse then took another 8mg, then another 8mg and another 8mg by 10 pm that night, decided on monday to skip the pill and try and get some of the subs out of my system,slept all day monday, all day..... then on tuesday, i broke a 8mg tab into four pieces, started out with 2mg, hour later 2mg, hour later 2mg, then hr later 2mg=8mg, felt very tired, headache, hurting all over...then at 7pm took 8mg, wednesday took 4mg slept for a few hrs then took a 8mg, cant even remember what i took thursday morning but took 8 mg thursday night, none friday or today, will try to restart tomarrow maybe, what should i start at, any suggestions will help and i will spit the saliva out but my dr told me to take 4 of the 8mg a day, will see the dr again july 7th, and they also make me feel very depressed, i know from reading on the forums that 32mg is way to much for me, thats why im trying to decrease or stop or do whatever i can before i want to take another lortab....thanks to all who replied

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:02 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

My best advice to you would be to get a hold of your sub dr asap and get your dose figured out and stable. No one on this forum is gonna be able to help you figure it out. You really need to call your dr asap. Good luck with everything!

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:57 am 
Unfortunately, it sounds like the doc doesn't know what he is doing if he is telling someone to take 8mg of sub every 4 hours to get off of lortab. I would try contacting Dr. J, and in the meantime look for a new sub doc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello Ladybug,

Wow, I am so sorry you are having so much trouble :( I will first give you my opinion and that is you started at way to much. Suboxone has a very long half life, so if you took 32mgs the first day, you would still have more than half of that in your body the 2nd day. Then 32mgs the second day you would have something like 50 mgs in your body. That is way to much even for a 200 dollar a day herion habit. Suboxone works so much different than our drug of choice the lower dose works better, you can't overdose but taking to much makes you very tired, ache, and moody. I was prescribed up to 24mgs and in the begining was taking 24mgs and was so tired I couldn't stay awake, I lowered my dose to 12 mgs and felt 100% better.

It seems like your Dr. has a different prespective then most but I know that taking more than you need only makes you feel crappy, you can't get "high" of this medicine. I was taking between 200mgs-250mgs of oxys and percs orally and sniffing them daily and feel great at 12mgs.

By no means am I Dr. or am I telling you to go against your Dr. but just wanted to tell you my opinion. I would really hate for you to give up, because it is well worth it in the long run. Try taking the same dose{what ever dose gets rid of the withdrawls} for a few days and see how you feel.

Also most people will say you should dose 1-2 times daily not every few hours, suboxone has such a long half life there is no reason to keep dosing throughout the day. I take 1/2 mine in the a.m and 1/2 mine at 5p.m. Again I wish you the very best don't give up you are worth it!!! Keep us posted! Hope you feel better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello Ladybug,

Wow, I am so sorry you are having so much trouble :( I will first give you my opinion and that is you started at way to much. Suboxone has a very long half life, so if you took 32mgs the first day, you would still have more than half of that in your body the 2nd day. Then 32mgs the second day you would have something like 50 mgs in your body. That is way to much even for a 200 dollar a day herion habit. Suboxone works so much different than our drug of choice the lower dose works better, you can't overdose but taking to much makes you very tired, ache, and moody. I was prescribed up to 24mgs and in the begining was taking 24mgs and was so tired I couldn't stay awake, I lowered my dose to 12 mgs and felt 100% better.

It seems like your Dr. has a different prespective then most but I know that taking more than you need only makes you feel crappy, you can't get "high" of this medicine. I was taking between 200mgs-250mgs of oxys and percs orally and sniffing them daily and feel great at 12mgs.

By no means am I Dr. or am I telling you to go against your Dr. but just wanted to tell you my opinion. I would really hate for you to give up, because it is well worth it in the long run. Try taking the same dose{what ever dose gets rid of the withdrawls} for a few days and see how you feel.

Also most people will say you should dose 1-2 times daily not every few hours, suboxone has such a long half life there is no reason to keep dosing throughout the day. I take 1/2 mine in the a.m and 1/2 mine at 5p.m. Again I wish you the very best don't give up you are worth it!!! Keep us posted! Hope you feel better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know you probably don't have a lot of options right now, but I'd be looking for a new doctor if I were you, this one doesn't sound like he knows what he's doing.