It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi all. I'm so glad I found this site!
My name is Melissa; I live in Michigan. I suffer from fibromyalgia and was on a LOT of heavy-duty pain meds for years. It didn't end well. But, as of last December I went off all those opiates and began Suboxone. I'm pleased (as is my family) with my new alert self, and expect to be on it long term for my chronic pain. It doesn't remove my pain completely, but it does very well and keeps me off the alternatives. (Plus there's that added benefit of not being an over-medicated zombie anymore!)
So, my new issue is the following:

We've recently moved and need to find doctors in our area, including one for my Subox. Unfortunately, that is proving to be more difficult than I expected. Most doctors insist that they DO need a special license to prescribe it, no matter what I tell them. Add that to the fact that once they hear the word "Suboxone", they treat me like a heroin addict. All this is leaving me quite frustrated. For the moment I'm driving 70 miles to get my prescriptions, but that cannot go on forever. Initially, I thought it might be a good idea to find a Rheumatologist, being that I also have psoriasis along with the fibro.
Questions:
Are there any specialties that would be more likely to be well-informed on the usage of Suboxone for chronic pain?
Is this a common issue for others?
Should I find a way to educate doctors on this "special license" issue? I'm thinking if they don't know about that, they probably wouldn't be the best person to prescribe it anyway, even if I managed to educate them.
I guess I'm just hoping someone may have ideas on this subject that I don't.
Thanks and again, I'm really glad to be here!
Melissa

Post subject: I wanted to clarify
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've just been reading around this forum as well as the Suboxone-Talk articles after posting my above comments. (Yes, I should have read more first before posting!)
I would like to clarify:
I made a comment (in searching for a new doc), that when they hear "Suboxone", they treat me like a heroin addict. In re-reading my words I now see that I was not clear and my wording may have had a judgmental ring to them.
MAKE NO MISTAKE: I AM AN ADDICT. Yes, I have an condition that requires long-term pain management. However, I ended up hospitalized in December for a simple reason: I abused those opiates.
I think I was just trying to say that in addition to finding doctors who insisted they need a license to prescribe Suboxone for pain, I also had to deal with my own shame of putting myself in that situation.
I hope this serves to better clarify my meaning.
Melissa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Maybe you could point them to the doc's blog, or maybe contact the doctor for a 'consult' and have him talk to the doctor. See how much he'd charge for that and maybe that would help. He did say in an article that the pharmacy may not fill it without the 'X' number (the DEA number for the special license), but it can be prescribed 'for pain' by anyone.

Hey, its worth a shot if its that hard to find someone around there.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Update - resource found
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi again. I wanted to let you all know that I just found the website "naabt". I was able to find a few doctors in my area as well as registered (to be matched with a local doctor).
I'm happy to report that I've already received a message from a nearby doctor who's asked me to contact him. (I checked with Blue Cross and he's part of my insurance, as well!)

Had I not found this site, I also would not have found that resource.
Again, I'm glad to be here. It helps to not feel so alone.
Thanks, Suboxdoc, for creating this safe place.
Melissa