It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know a lot of you are weaning down or off of Sub. I am really interested in compiling data about the symptoms and duration of symptoms that people feel as they go down by various doses/percentages. The major reason for this is that it could be used as some sort of general guide as to what the averages are and could help other people know what they can generally expect if going down from the same amount to the same amount. Even though everyone is different and there are many factors affecting how people respond to tapering, I bet if there was enough data, some consistencies would emerge.

I'm keeping my taper journal on my puter. Basically, at the top I have a list that says 'Oct. 28th: Day 1: 7 mg: **Day 1 on 7**'. I just have a list like that showing my doses for every day of my taper all the way to today which says: 'Nov. 23rd: Day 27: 5 mg: **Day 9 on 5**". Beneath that, I have my journal. I put the date and how many mg I'm taking and briefly describe how I feel, whether I have chills or a malfunctioning nose, etc. Some days, it's a great way to vent! My kids are acting nuts. It won't quit raining, etc. Some days, I only enter the mg I took and not any journal entry. Someday, this information could be very useful to people just like us, trying to understand the most rational way to go about tapering, especially those who don't have very informed doctors. I read 'Diary of a Quitter' several times and am so thankful for her efforts!!!! I entitled my Diary 'I Want to Be a Quitter'.

Even if it sounds like a pain to you, just keep the list of mg and maybe try writing if you feel like it and you may be surprised how helpful it is to you. We could eventually compile it into something like SubStories and put it online. If you think this is a lame idea, go ahead....let me know :wink:

Thanks guys,
laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think this would be extremely helpful to all of those who are so deathly afraid of tapering, as I was. The potential is enormous. I know as I was tapering and eventually quit, all I wanted was a road map of what was in store for me. I so wanted to know what the next day had in mind for me so I could prepare? I don't know, but I sure remember wanting a road map and could not find one and it stressed me severly...the not knowing I guess was the hardest part. Was my head going to start spinning on its axis, was I going to start speaking in tongues?

I wonder if you would consider adding the data from those who eventually quit as well. What was day 1 like, day 2 etc.

I know I have wondered why 2 people who seem to do a similar taper can have such wildly different results. There has got to be some kind of indicators regarding personality traits, mental health, age, physical health, etc that play into all of this and I would be very curious how they all arrange and if they can somehow predict your withdrawal experience.

If you knew up front that because of your age, depression and poor health that withdrawal was going to be this way or that, then you could maybe take some steps up front to combat the depression and work on those health issues before quitting your med, thus making your withdrawal more tolerable.

I know, for some reason, I took it on the chin during my withdrawal and would still like to know what in my make up made my withdrawal more difficult than I thought it should be.

I understand dose and duration to be the most direct predictors of withdrawal, but there have got to be many, many more.

I hope you get a huge response to your questions and I look forward to reading them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Honestly, I've been thinking about doing something like this for so long. My best friend and I talked about doing a documentary thing, but I really think it would be at least a comfort to be able to read a bunch of other people's stories. Somewhere in there, there would be an experience that would seem to match up well to your own. Then, it wouldn't feel so weird to still not be stabilized a month after a big drop. It would make it feel a whole lot let lonely and would also give people who have gone the distance another way of sharing their accomplishments. Plus, it actually feels good to write and get it out. If I'd had something like that to read, I'd probably be off of Sub by now. I don't say that in a regretful way or anything. I just know that it was very disheartening to hear from my doctor that symptoms I now know are completely normal were not the norm. I've learned the most about Sub from other Sub users.

I hope people like this idea!
laddertipper