It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Guys,

I have been on Suboxone all together 4 years. A quick history..I came completely off of it around 2 years ago and unfortunately it was only a year before I was back on. I'll leave out all the long story bla bla bla...but it just turns out that I wasnt ready and didnt have the right help.

My doctor has NEVER been supportive of coming off suboxone ..but also has never offered me any kind of program while being on it. So the first time I came off I had to do it on my own with no education behind it. It was hell to say the least. I harmed myself, put my arm through a wall, broke a ton of my furniture and ended up in the hospital. So I'm sure you could imagine how disapointed I was when I needed to go back on it after making it through.

Fast forward to now. I am ready. I feel confident. I understand my addiction and know that it is forever. I'm healthy...eat healthy...exercise and just all around happy. and while I havent found a better doctor (there are only a few in my area) I have been tapering down off the suboxone the right way vs just coming straight off 8mg.

My last Sub dose was Sunday Morning (today is Wed) Yesterday was bad, today is better. But my fatigue is terrible and my body ache is horrible. I have to be a Mommy so I'm starting to feel anxiety about not starting to feel better and being able to take care of my kids.

My biggest issue is restless legs. It was what drove me to the point of insanity the first time so it my biggest fear now. Anyone have any tips on making sure they stay away?

8) 8) 8) Also...big question..... I have a hip injury and normally take a muscle relaxer for this daily. However I havent because I havent found much info on if it helps or hurts while DT from Subs. Do you think there is a chance it could give me restless legs if I take it? 8) 8) 8)

Any tips and support would help so much. Especially when it comes to the restless legs. Here is what I'm doing so far.

Staying hydrated
Walking (a lot)
Hot showers
Keeping busy

Thanks so much everyone. I know I dont post on here..but this site has saved my ass too many times to explain. Good luck to everyone on their journey.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A muscle relaxer shouldn't hurt your DT process. It should help the restlessness a bit, but worse case scenario is that it doesn't help and makes you tired but your muscles are still jerky. Shouldn't be worse off that you already are.

You mention hot showers, but if you have a bath, I would strongly urge that instead. The only *real* relief I ever got during this period was being fully submerged in hot water. Showers didn't come close to being as effective. The relief lasts while you're in the tub and I'd say for at least 30-60 minutes after.. sometimes a little longer at night. It doesn't seem like that long but when you're going through it, any relief is a miracle.

Have you been taking any vitamins/ supplements? I didn't do this but other people swear by them.. I wish I had, to be honest.

One thing that is not on your list.. music. Music will help raise your endorphins right now, which is what you really need. If you have an ipod, stick at least one ear bud in your ear with your favorite music on.. while you're doing stuff around the house or taking care of the littles, you'd be surprised how much this will help keeping you going throughout the day. If you only put one ear bud in, you can still pay attention to what's going on around you. Try it..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here is what I personally found to be some of the best help to fight RLS off with. Not much will totally get rid of the jerks, but these will definitely help....

1. As Tinydancer said....hot baths, the hotter the better. Epsom Salts can be of help in the water.
2. Hylands Restful Leg sold at most pharmacies, health food stores and/or vitamin shops.
3. Heating pad on the legs as long as possible.
4. Eating some bananas.
5. Potassium supplements are a great benefit for RLS.

Of course doing as many of these as possible at the same time will definitely get you some relief. Also walking around (even at night) will help loosen the leg muscles and help some.

Hope you feel better soon!

Karen xoxo

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just be cautious of Epsom salts during this time, if your tummy is still runny. Epsom salts work like laxatives, so if you're using them, just be cautious of how much you're dumping in the tub. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

tinydancer wrote:
Just be cautious of Epsom salts during this time, if your tummy is still runny. Epsom salts work like laxatives, so if you're using them, just be cautious of how much you're dumping in the tub. :wink:

Thank you Tiny I did not know that! I will certainly file that bit of info away for later use! I know the salts helps with sore and tired achy bones and muscles, but didn't know it could be a problem with tummy issues!
Thanks again girlie! :D

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Okay so I think I'm just going to stay away from the Muscle relaxers for now. I'm reading online where people are saying it made the RLS worse. I took a look at some studies and found that its pretty unlikely....but I'm thinking that the anxiety over hoping it wont may actually cause it to happen. (Holy crap I sound crazy)

One thing I didnt add is that I am taking Legatrim PM at night. It does knock me out for a solid 7 hours and it has saved my life during this time. I just wish I could take it during the day LOL...Oh to just be induced into a coma till this was over right! LOL

Good note on the salt. I didnt know that at all... and for some reason this time around I am getting all the stomach fun. However I do have an apatite unlike last time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

By far, Clonidine was the best med I took during wd.

Clonidine is a blood pressure medication that's widely prescribed off label for opiate wd. Go to your doctor, get your BP checked to make sure it's not low and then have him give you Clonidine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:01 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Just out of curiosity what dose did you stop at? Sorry if I missed that already.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sorry about not coming back to this sooner. Right now I feel that this is a hell bipolar ride that I just need some kind of light as to when it is going to end.
One minute I sigh of relief and think that its getting better and its not long before I'm knocked back down on my ass feeling the full WD like its day one again.

The mg I made the jump at was 1 mg a day. Half in the morning...half at night. Towards last week I did go even lower but basically just because I needed to time out when I would have help while I was sick.
My doctor did NOT help me with this so I had to go on what I had read ext. I see some people do the every other day thing for a while but I feel like I would just get sick then better sick then better.

I'm not sure if it is relevant... But I am under 5 foot and currently under 100 lbs so 8mg was A LOT for me but I would always find myself sick if I was an hour late on taking it.

So as for how things are going I would say shitty. I"m ready to be normal again. The fatigue is really starting to make me upset. I just want to be able to clean the house without feeling like I will pass out if I take another step. I missed my Son's football game today and of course I cried about it longer than I should have LOL.

My doctor does have me on a very low anti anxiety script. Ive taken it a few times but it makes me so tired that it isn't worth the trade.

Worst of all is what I have feared and that is the restless leg. Last night all after midnight I walked the neighborhood. Took a HOT bath. RAN the neighborhood. Tried not trying to sleep and just watch tv. Listened to music. NOTHING helped.
I feel like I would take a second mortgage on the house if someone were to offer a resolution to this legs crap!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Romeo wrote:

Clonidine is a blood pressure medication that's widely prescribed off label for opiate wd. Go to your doctor, get your BP checked to make sure it's not low and then have him give you Clonidine.

Romeo. I actually have that medication here at my house. Unfortunately I have abnormally low blood pressure (even now while I am experiencing so much anxiety it was something like 100 over 80 ... or the other way around.. I never remember that crap LOL)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:55 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Romeo wrote:

Yes! Works better than any benzo IME. Plus for me it knocks me out HARD. I have to fight to stay awake during the day if I take it. Then I stopped being a dumba** and took it at night an hr before bed. Works great and just a little groggy in the morning. Closest to relief you can get without setting yourself back

Also vitamins help speed things up for me. Maybe it's a placebo. But for me it works. It also helps with the habituation of taking subs every day. Take vitamins. 5htp, fish oil, a good multivitamin, super b complex, and at night kava kava or valerian root along with melatonin (although kava helped with anxiety, clonidine works soooo much better. Valerian and melatoning never did anything noticeable for me)