It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been reading the posts on this site for weeks and I have to say that of all the resources out there this site has given me the most hope - hope that I can finally get my life back. To give you some background I am 21 years old and starting using about 3 years ago. I was first introduced to percocet while working in a call centre as somthing to "perk" you up. The first time I tried it I wondered what the big hype was ... but as I continued to take them it just gave me this warm fuzzy feeling, motivation and energy to do everything with more enthusiasm.
I always thought I just used them for fun and I wasn't addicted or anything... I mean I was always a straight A student... had just came back from a year abroad, happy with lots of friends and just in general was a happy person with just an occasional percocet use - but boy was I wrong.

It's now three years later and that once a week perk has spiraled out of control into an uncontrolable oxycontin addiction.

I feel so hopeless and lost. My life has turned for the worst and I feel like there is nobody who understands or cares.
In the past few years I have completed three years of University and landed a permanent fulltime good paying job with the Government but I feel that if I don't get help soon all that will be gone.

I used to be someone who counted every penny and knew exactly how much money I had in my bank. I am now thousands of dollars in debt and constantly bouncing payments and living pay cheque to pay cheque. I have completely withdrawn from everything and everyone I used to love. I don't call my friends... I actually kringe when the phone rings, I am always late, I went from being that girl that always had her hair and make-up down to perfection (not be conseated) to barely having the energy to shower in the morning ...let alone do my hair and find somthing nice to wear to work.

The other thing that is killing me is pretending to be normal everyday... somehow i've managed to keep my addiction to oxycontin a secret from just about everyone that I know. The only people that know I'm an addict are my boyfriend of three years (he was the one who first introduced me to them) and his friends that we buy them from. All my friends and family have absolutely no idea what I'm going through.

My addiction costs me about $40 - $60 per day (80mg - 120mg avg) - I have tried quitting cold turkey a couple of times and also weaning off... but the withdrawals are just to severe and I can't do it on my own. After doing a tons of research online I was so relieved to hear about Suboxone. The only problem I have is that in Ontario, Canada it is relatively new and very hard to find a physician to prescribe it. Unfortunately, the city I live in in Northern Ontario we have a shortage of doctors and I do not have a family doctor. I have been to the "walk-in clinic" three times, called every helpline and spoken to countless addiction treatment clinics all with little success or help. Doctors in Ontario need a special license to prescribe Buprenorphine - there is not one doctor in my city with this "license". We do have two methadone clinics but I refuse to be put on Methadone because of all the horror stories I've heard. My only hope is the Canada Detox Center which is located in Richmond Hill - they do exactly what the doctor on this website recommends and are willing to provide the prescription for suboxone along with counselling and meetings with the doctor to ensure the proper dosage. The only problem is it's a private clinic and has a fee of $5,000.00 .

I am trying so hard to save the money ... but as any addict can relate to all my extra disposible income is used to buy oxy's. I have applied for a loan but because of my bad payment history in the past year or so I was declined.

I am sorry for rambling on... but anyone with any advice or encouraging words would be greatly appreciated. I feel like there is no hope...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dearest Rainbow,

I am sorry to hear about your situation in Canada, it is so unfortunate that Buprenorphine treatment is not more available there, and I am hopeful it will be in the future.However, we need a solution for you now and my suggestion is to speak with Dr. Junig here and see if he can help you.It may require a visit to the states, but it would not cost anywhere near $5,000.00! What a joke! I would contact him by phone ASAP and see if he has any suggestions.
Also, I have contacted some of my resources to see if I can find anyone in your area, but my first suggestion seems to be the logical one at this point. Just do not give up.This is going to take some effort on your part, but it can happen!
If you want to talk further, feel free to send me a private message or come by for our support meeting in CHAT tonite at 7:30pm Eastern Standard Time. We will be in touch!