It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:45 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

8) [size=10][size=12][size=18][size=12]i really need some advice as on how to taper off suboxone and be able to maintain my wonderful job. I have W/D from suboxone once, and it was in rehab and it realllllly sucked. I was on suboxone for 2.5 years and then weened down until i was taking 2 mg a day and then signed my self into rehab. i did however, successfully w/d from suboxone but the taper sucked and if I wasn't in a inpatient rehab, I probably wouldn't have followed through like I did. Unfortunately i relapsed for a few months and got back on suboxone. The only difference now is i have the strips instead of the pills. I now have a great job and I am afraid I could possibly lose it due to W/D!! :( Any suggestions to this ???????? I would love to know how some of u successfully tapered while working a full time job. Oh yeah, I'm also going to meetings and seeing a therapist once a week which helps emotionally. I would still love to hear about some soft landing tapers!!!!!!!

MUCH
LOVE... [/size]RED DREAD[/size][/size][/size]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You jumped last time from 2 mg and I'd say that was way too high a dose to jump from. It's my opinion that you need to taper longer and slower and get down to a lower dosage before you jump. The slower and lower you go, the idea is you'll have less acute and post-acute withdrawals. You don't want to jump off suboxone like you'd pull a band-aid off - quick. You want to do it slowly, so your brain/body can adjust to being without it. The less of a shock to your brain it is, the less withdrawals you'll feel. That's the idea anyway.

I've heard of lots of people who've continued to work while withdrawing from suboxone. It just depends on the individual, their addiction history, how they tapered, if they have any comfort meds, and what else they are doing for their withdrawal symptoms. Plus we're all unique in our body chemistry, don't forget that.

So the best thing you can do to ensure the most painless jump, is to do a long, slow, low taper before jumping. At least that's my opinion - which, BTW, is not based on personal experience, but rather what I've learned in the past 2.5 years.

I'm sure others will come along and share their experiences with you. GOOD LUCK!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: heard
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

heeey thanks for the reply,

I totally agree with you on the slow taper. when i went to rehab i was taking 60 mgs of methadon a day plaus i was taking anywhere from 8 to 16 mg of suboxone a day. when i got to rehab i told them just what i said in the last sentence and they said they will taper me in 1 week starting at 16 mg of suboxone. in my head i knew this wasn't a good idea but since i was in rehab and in a controlled environment i might as well do it. they started me at 16 mg for the first day. 2nd day was 16 in morning and 8 at night . 3rd day was 8mg and 4mg at night and 4th day was 8mg and 4 mg at night and 4th day was 4mg and 4 mg at night. the 5th day was 4mg in morning and 2 mg at night. the 6th day was 2 in morning and 2 mg at night and my final dosage for detox in this rehab was 2mg in the morning and nothing at night. and boy , shit, fuck, wow, 48 hours later i was feeling soooooo bad. like, i will not do that again. like i said i am on suboxone right now, and i need this job, and i cant afford to have 7 to 28 days off from work due to my bad addict behaviors. thats why i am looking for this "soft taper" I know my dumbass should of just stayed clean when i got out of rehab, and yes i did have a BIG 7 months clean but i thought i could do roxy, h and any other opiate occasionally and i found out quick that i was full of shit. therefore i am now on suboxone for my second time and i am well aware of all the shitty withdrawl symptoms. soo from what i have been reading from everyone on this site it seems like that if you have a 8 mg Strip per day, after one month go to 7mg and then next month 6mg and then next month 5mg all the way until u get to 2 mgs which would be a total of 7 months.. and correct me if I"m wrong here but when u get to 2 mgs, u should still have about 5 to 6 months left before you reach 0 mgs of suboxone. ONE DAY AT A TIME AND MUCH FAITH and i know i can do it along with everyone else out there. SOME PEOPLE JUST HAVE TO LEARN THE HARD WAY.

MUCH LOVE RED DREAD

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Oh yeah, on the comfort med's subject. This suboxone doctor i currently have has prescribed me Xanax along withmy suboxone dosage.. any feedback on that?? The Xanax definitely seems to help me sleep at night and I"m wondering if maybe this could be the 2 best prescribed medications for a " soft landing taper"

MUCH LOVE RED DREAD

Post subject: clonidine
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hi mtjtjet'. ya '. hatmaker would as well explain to you the dangers of "zanax". read some of the other post on people talking about zanax'. and how it can become addictive. but there is a med called clonidine that is used for w/d'ling from suboxone. you will find how well it works for a lot of people here who all ready tapered with it. thanks and hope you have a soft landing!! johnboy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Johnboy is right, just be careful with the xanax, as it can be addictive. The best comfort med, again, as johnboy said, is clonidine. If I were you, I'd ask my doctor about it. Although it's a BP med, it's like the "gold standard" in treating opiate withdrawals. It is said to help significantly and may very well help allow you to continue working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
Johnboy is right, just be careful with the xanax, as it can be addictive. The best comfort med, again, as johnboy said, is clonidine. If I were you, I'd ask my doctor about it. Although it's a BP med, it's like the "gold standard" in treating opiate withdrawals. It is said to help significantly and may very well help allow you to continue working.

Not can be addictive, it is addictive.

Worst withdrawal I've ever experienced. Makes buprenorphine withdrawal look like a fucking joke. I'd rather come off a gram of heroin a day than go through benzo withdrawal again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I see it this way, not everyone gets addicted to it, therefore it CAN be addictive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If you take it for long enough you'll get addicted. Simple as that.

Post subject: Educate yourself
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:01 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Please do a bit of research on the difference between addiction and dependence. Spreading misinformation can be very harmful to those seeking help at this site. I also noticed you advised a poster in another thread that if someone is taking Suboxone they are not sober - yet more misinformation.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

Post subject: Re: Educate yourself
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

bronzebeta wrote:
Please do a bit of research on the difference between addiction and dependence. Spreading misinformation can be very harmful to those seeking help at this site. I also noticed you advised a poster in another thread that if someone is taking Suboxone they are not sober - yet more misinformation.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

What are you talking about?

Take your own advice, please do some research (read a dictionary) and here is the definition for addiction you will get:

Definition of ADDICTION: compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful

I expressed my OPINION that Suboxone use is not congruent with sobriety. You're the one who thinks it's a FACT that this is misinformation. NO, that's a matter of opinion. You think just because a doctor gives you a drug, you're sober? Suboxone is an opiate. There is no disputing that. As to whether one is sober or not while on Suboxone, that's up to an individual to decide. Los Angeles is a city in California. That is a fact. A person is sober when they take Suboxone. That is most assuredly an opinion. Sounds like you're upset because I didn't drink the buprenorphine kool-aid, Mr. Jones.

You're the one who appears to have trouble separating opinions from facts. And your post is extremely condescending and haughty---get over yourself. Few things piss me off more than passive-aggressive attacks.

(P.S.--If anyone is spreading potentially dangerous misinformation, it would be you trying to rationalize benzo use. No different from the pharmaceutical companies calling the WITHDRAWAL a discontinuation syndrome. A rose by any other name....Semantics.)

You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. How pretentious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:56 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

SunAtBack wrote:
I'm not here to get into a pissing contest with you, but it isn't just a matter of semantics when you make a statement like that. If you take Bup long enough, you 'will' become dependent, but not necessarily addicted. The majority of people who are prescribed this medication are dependent on it, 'not' addicted to it. I'm not saying that this dependency can't develop into an addiction with some individuals, because the potential is there... but to state that everyone will end up abusing Bup if they take it long enough is incorrect. Personally, I always took my Suboxone as prescribed and never even considered abusing it. Different story with a full agonist - I could never, ever (and will never be able to) control my intake. Just isn't going to happen.

Concerning sobriety... how can you possibly say that someone is not sober when they are able to take their medication as prescribed, no tolerance is built so that ever increasing doses are not needed, and there is no euphoria involved? I think 12 steppers use a different dictionary than I do.

As far as Xanax... I think you may be confusing me with one of the other posters in this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

SunAtBack wrote:

No, if you take it for long enough, one will get dependent upon it. If they abuse it or misuse it, then it will likely turn into an addiction. There is a HUGE difference between dependent and addicted. We've had this conversation many, many times around here.

Now, as for the clean/not clean when one is on suboxone, clean is about behavior, nothing more. Suboxone allows us to change our behavior and stop the self-destructive drug-seeking habits. This is what people mean by they are clean now. No more lying, cheating, stealing. No, instead we can actually REPAIR family/friend relationships and start to fix our lives from what active addiction did to it.

REMEMBER: One of the main rules is to not debate which mode of recovery is better, that includes abstinence vs suboxone.

Post subject: hello everyone
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

long time no talk. i haven't been on the net lately but i figured i would check up on the posts . things are going good, im still talking sub. and Xanax and defitinitly not thinking of tapering right away. my doctor suggests that i stay on it for a while. but back to my first question that never got answered . what the hell is the secret to tapering down off this shit??

much love red dread

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The secret to tapering off of Suboxone is to drop your dose by small enough increments that you don't really feel the drop and to taper slowly, giving your mind and body time at each new dose to acclimate.

Usually you can drop from a fairly high dose to a dose that's somewhere around the 4mg mark without too much trouble. Once you get around 4mg or so (may be 6mg, may be 2mg??), you will probably notice that your body is putting up more of a fight when it comes to tapering. This is when you really gotta go slow and drop your dose a little at a time. You're more than likely gonna feel some kind of wd symptoms, but they won't be anything compared to jumping off all at once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:21 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks guys. I still haven't started to taper yet. I'm still working 5 to 6 days a week and sleeping about 7 to 10 hours a night. And for Xanax, I hardly take any. I haven't taken Xanax in over a week. I plan on using Xanax for when I do taper off Suboxone. And yes i do understand that they can be addictive both mentally and physically but i feel like I should be able to use them beneficially, without getting myself addicted to them. Anyway's how are all of you doing? I'm from Florida, where is everyone living ? Do you go to meetings daily? Church? Hope everyone is doing well. I'm going to bed

Much Love Red Dread