It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:01 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Taurus wrote:
Hello wncgal, and welcome to the forum! You have a lot of the same questions I had when I was still thinking about getting on Suboxone.

I was on hydrocodone myself, and tried many, many times to taper on my own, with no success. I was afraid of getting on subs for the same reason as you. I read a bunch of horror stories online about how hard it is to come off of them, and thought I might just be trading one addiction for another as well. I even cancelled my first induction appointment after reading all of the horror stories, and continued with my hydrocodone use. I wish I would've just gone to the first appointment because my use only escalated for the next 4 months until I finally found Dr. Junig's YouTube videos, and decided that subs were the way to go for me. Have you seen any of his videos? Here is a link to one that addresses the issue of trading one addiction for another. This is what helped ease my mind about getting on another opioid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE0FLHpr ... el&list=UL

We have many members here on this forum who have successfully tapered off of subs. They did a long and slow taper, which resulted in little withdrawals. Since it sounds like you want to use subs to detox, and be off fairly quickly, you can check out some of these posts in the "Stopping Suboxone" forum. I have not done it myself, so I cannot really comment on it. Yes, there are plenty of people who have had a really hard time quitting subs, but there are also others who figured out how to keep the withdrawal to a minimum.

I think most people who taper off of subs successfully don't come online and share their story because they didn't have enough of a problem to need to discuss it. It is usually when we are looking for help or answers that we come online, which is probably why there are so many horror stories online, and not a whole lot of success stories. Most people who were successful just moved on with their life and didn't look back.

Suboxone should take away your cravings and allow you to be around, and administer your mom's meds to her. I didn't believe this could be possible, but as soon as I got on subs, I realized that what everyone was saying was true. It really does take away your cravings and help you resist temptation!

Also, I have had depression for many years, and tried many different antidepressant meds, with no success. Since being on Suboxone, my depression has pretty much subsided, which I wasn't expecting at all. I was only going to use it for addiction, but very quickly found out that it helps my depression and chronic pain.

I'm sure some other members will stop by and share their experience of stopping subs with you, and encourage you that it is possible.

Opiates are not a new idea,in treating depression,,it has been around for awhile,,iglad sub has helped you
TT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There is no need to send someone elsewhere to hear or read about ways to taper properly and not have a hard time with it! There are plenty of stories here on this forum. TT - expect a PM from me about this.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Subsux?!
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey TT-thanks for the input. And no, I don't want a sugarcoated account of suboxone treatment, I want the truth. However, having said that, it has taken me a long time to get to this point where I'm willing to try something different because this lifestyle is not serving me well. So, the last thing I want to subject myself to is a website called subsux.com where I can imagine based on the name is a bunch of horror stories about how terrible suboxone is. I'm already scared and nervous about it but I have made up my mind that this is the best plan for me at this time. I feel like it will give me the time I need to work on my behaviors, triggers and most importantly what's at the root of my addiction and why I abuse pills. I'm in no way so naive as to think it will be a cakewalk when the time comes to stop it, but my hope is that by that time I will be strong enough mentally, emotionally and physically to deal with it. I'll certainly be in a better space than I am now. I have found this forum to be extremely helpful in that the people here are honest but also positive and optimistic which is what I need right now. So, thanks for the suggestions but I think I'll just stick around here.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

wncgal said, "I feel like it (suboxone) will give me the time I need to work on my behaviors, triggers and most importantly what's at the root of my addiction and why I abuse pills. I'm in no way so naive as to think it will be a cakewalk when the time comes to stop it, but my hope is that by that time I will be strong enough mentally, emotionally and physically to deal with it. I'll certainly be in a better space than I am now.

You, ma'am, just impressed the hell out of me. If everyone approached Suboxone with that attitude, there probably would be no need for a forum called.......I ain't even gonna mention the name.

The title of your thread asks for success stories, well here's mine (the Reader's Digest version): I abused pain pills pretty heavily for 10 years, I got on Suboxone (within 30 minutes of being on it I was like, WOW, I feel great, this stuff really works!!), I stayed on Suboxone for 3 years and did not slip up, not even once. Almost 2 years ago, I quit Suboxone.....it was rough, but I jumped from way too high dose. I've had 4 slips while off Suboxone, but for me, those slips were necessary and helped to move me and my recovery forward.

I hope Suboxone works as well for you as it did for me and countless others here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks, Romeo! Love your avatar, btw. I'm a huge B&B fan from way back. :) I appreciate you sharing your experience w/ sub. That's exactly the kind of thing I want & need to hear right now. I've struggled with this decision for quite some time but I've finally resolved myself to the idea. As I said before I'm scared and nervous but there is a bigger part of me that is really excited about it at the same time. No more chasing, counting, sneaking, lying, stressing, deceiving, stealing, etc. I'm ready to be done with all that because it's so not me! While my story of addiction doesn't involve a rock bottom that includes prison, hospitals, countless rehabs, divorce, bankruptcy, etc. & I'm probably what some would refer to a "functioning addict", it has certainly caused a hella lot of problems and heartache. I call it a "soul sucker" because it has truly damaged me at my core and turned me into a miserable, screwed up person. I have become someone I don't even recognize anymore...it's kind of hard to explain but I'm sure you all understand what I'm saying. It has changed me so much & I just long to be my real, authentic self again. I don't know if it will happen with the suboxone or if it will come later, but I can't wait to be able to feel fully human again. I'm just so friggin' numb and that is no way to feel. While being numb was a welcome feeling in the beginning I'm seriously ready for it to wear off now. I know it's going to take some really hard work to deal with actually feeling & experiencing my emotions again instead of just gulping down a handful of pills to mask them, but it's definitely time. I just wanted to again thank all of you on here for your support. I feel like finding this forum has been a godsend and is going to play a big role in my recovery. I hope (and plan) to someday be able to pay it forward! :)