It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:53 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am reposting this as I am not sure where it belongs. I posted it also on the ask the doctor questions.

For 3 years Ive been addicted to Vicodin, at my highest 60 mg now I am at 40 mg. I get rxed 90 a month and have been getting percocet or vicodin from friends to hold me over til my next refill. I have tried time and time again to stop but just can't! I have a long history of depression and anxiety as well as acute pancreatitis and other stomach problems. The depression and anxiety made me suicidal last time I tried to stop. I thought I could wean but whenever I have the pills I take more to feel better. I got hooked because the Vicodin initially helped with my depression and I thought it was a miracle drug. 3 years later I'm more depressed hten ever. I went to a psychiatrist who advised me to start Subutex as he feels that my depression and anxiety is too overwhelming deal with the withdrawals. He told me to start with 1 mg (half of the 2) and if that doesnt work than take the other half. I'm to check in with him and let him know how it goes.
He told me I need to be starting withdrawals before taking, about 12 hours or so after last dose.
I've had so much anxiety as I am out of pills on Sat and plan to start Sunday. I am not sleeping already and shaking.
I read everywehre how sick Subutex makes ppl, ppl who have much higher addictions. I know that it is not generally used for 40-60 mg Vic user but I can't live like this anymore. I think of my pills all the time... i panic when I am running out and have even quit my job as my depression has been paralyzing.
I also take Paxil and Klonopin, have taken them for 14 years. I take a max of 1 mg Klonopin a day but hae taken 2mg when my insomnia is bad.
I have no history of addiction prior. I know I am self medicating but am stuck.

Please help! What are your thoughts on Subutex for me knowing my history?

I'm very nervous to start it.

Thnak you
Feeling helpless

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:43 pm 

This is a good place for you to be right now. Although not all members agree on the same course of action, there is a ton of experience in this forum.

So, you're addicted to vicodin. There are those on this site who think that you shouldn't go on suboxone unless you're taking a lot more than 40mg/day. They will say that it's not worth it to get on sub just to have to taper off of it eventually.

But I've been where you're at. My addiction is to percocet and I was using 100-140mg/day. I had a script through a reputable doctor, but I would run out early every month too. I was completely obsessed with my next pill, next high, etc. I will never forget how that felt!

I suggest that you do give suboxone a try. Be aware that you could be increasing your tolerance to opiates by taking sub. Some doctors try to start you on a very high dose, but I wouldn't take more than 8mg/day to start, maybe less. Then you can work on weaning down to a dose that keeps the cravings at bay, but doesn't make you feel sleepy or fuzzy.

I went through over 48 hours of detox before being induced. I walked out of that doctor's office feeling normal! And to me, normal felt awesome!!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:16 pm 

I am going to 2nd what Amy said. You may face some harsh warnings from members advising you to not start the Subutex.

Have you tried N.A. before? If I were you, I'd go find a meeting, tell them exactly what is on your mind and take their advice. Meaning, it seems like you want the easy way out and not face withdrawals. Once you're on Sub, it'll be a lot harder to give it up. Do you want to be on an opiate replacement drug for years, possibly the rest of your life? You need to face these hard questions before you start the induction.

Like you, I was addicted to Norco. Same drug as Vics (Hydrocodone), but taking much more, along with Ultram, Soma, & Xanax. It was a vicious cycle that I couldn't break out of w/o the Suboxone. Maybe you feel the same way and just want to stop the cravings. It will do that for sure if you take enough of it. Heed Amy's advice not to go over 8 mg's per day.

I get the feeling that you've already made up your mind about taking Subutex. Just think hard about it, okay?

BTW, I deleted your other repeat post. This one is enough for all to respond to.

Last but not least, Welcome Here!

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:57 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thank you both so much for the response. I've been barreling with trying to get off this for a long time. I am only taking 40 mg at this point because that's what I need to stay normal... There is no high what so ever on this dose. I can handle the physical wd it's the mental I can't, since I already have such bad anxiety and depression it's overload. I would start at 1 mg of subutex. I don't know if that is too high? My Dr have me 2mg but I want to start lower.

I have read a lot of negative comments on other forums as well in regards to using Subutex for lower doses of opiates. I'm more concerned whether people have experience or know of people who have been successful using it similarly.
I just feel so lost!