It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:52 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm new to this site and this is my first post. I'm 26 years old and have been on suboxone since I was 21 and addicted to opiates since I was 18. I feel like I live a pretty normal life other than my daily doses of Suboxone. I go to work everyday, I walk my dog, I go to yoga and am currently training to run my first half marathon. I have an amazing boyfriend who is in recovery and is 16 months clean (no opiate experience at all). I recently decided to get off Suboxone and am trying to decide how much and how fast to taper. In the beginning of January, I was cutting a 2mg film in thirds and towards the end of January, I was cutting it into fourths and taking 3 quarters per day. Last Thursday I reduced to 2 quarters and didn't feel the side affects until this morning. For some reason, by body didn't notice the change until this morning and I was SICK. I was planning on tapering a little more tomorrow, but am second guessing my taper schedule that my boyfriend and I came up with. I need to be able to go to work and function throughout the day. I have planned a 2 week vacation starting April 13th, which will also be my first day completely off Suboxone. My plan as of now is to start tomorrow with 1 quarter and take 1/8 in the afternoon. Each week after that I will tapper 1/8 at a time. After being sick this morning, I feel like I should give my body a bit more time to adjust. Maybe 2 weeks at each taper….? Please reply! Any advice will be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:04 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey there! There are tons of tapering stories throughout this section, if you haven't read them already. You'll find lots of pointers there.
I think your plan is reasonable enough. As you've discovered, there are a couple of nearly inevitable realities with stopping Sub. Firstly, it's pretty much a walk in the park to taper down to about 1-2mg a day. In my opinion and experience, those who have a lot of complaints and misery with tapering above that level, are just not at all ready to do this. Either that or they just aren't "cut out" to do the marathon work of a slow taper and are just gonna have to suffer through a high jump.
Secondly, once you hit that dose (for you) where you start to feel some withdrawal between doses, you have a decision to make. You're either going to decide to buck up and push through your taper schedule no matter what. Or you're going to choose to lighten it up and slow it down so you'll have a little easier time of it.
Remember this...this drug is very, very strong. It was originally, and still is, given for pain at MICROgram doses, not MILLIgrams like we take. Therefore, if we want to come off without much withdrawal, we need to get down to the low, low micrograms. Yes, breaking pills or strips that small is a chore, but people do it. Some do the liquid taper which is outlined here too.
Have you ever quit full agonist pills or heroin before? Cold turkey, no Sub? If so, you know how brutal that is. Most everyone agrees...if you've done that, quitting Sub will not be as bad. The hardest part, most people say, is that it lasts longer because of the long half life of Sub. So you need to be prepared for that. BUT, if you continue to taper more slowly and to a bit lower than you planned, you can probably avoid withdrawal altogether...a lot of people say they have!
Anyway, what you've experienced is classic, in my opinion....no real trouble until you hit the one milligram mark, took about a week to feel that drop below the one milligram...that's all perfectly 'normal' and you're doing just fine! Try not to add to your dose and undo your progress. You should level off in a few days and feel okay. If you can't tolerate it, you might have to go back up on your dose a little bit, but I'd sure try not to. I would wait to drop again, though. You don't want to make it impossible to reach your goal!
Best of luck! I'm sure others will chime in, too. Congrats on all you've achieved thus far!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:48 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi! THank you so much for responding! Yes, I decided to stay at this dose for another week. Then I'll do a little lower for another 2 weeks, etc. Again, I really appreciate you sharing your insight.
And yes, I did stop oxy cold turkey, but I checked into a detox less than 24 hours later and that was 6 years ago. I remember the discomfort, but was put on subs immediately.
I tried to kick subs 3 years ago, and relapsed on oxy's and H, and went back to boxes 3 months later.
I really didn't know what I was getting myself into when I tried to kick it on my own. I was working full time and didn't realize at all how intense the withdrawals would be.
This time, I'm obviously a little older, (26) and have a boyfriend in recovery who is extremely strong and very supportive.
Are you completely off? Still on or tapering?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I think that's a good idea...slow it down a little but keep your eye on the prize!
I've been on Sub for a few years. I did very well on it for a good while, tapered down pretty low with no problems, then unfortunately, I began messing around with oxy again. I guess I just wasn't "done" with it. In hindsight, I can see that I've struggled with cravings ever since I got down to 2mg or so. I found that I could "break through" the lower doses of Sub by taking ~90mg or more of oxy and I've had a hard time not continuing to do that intermittently.
So, obviously, I'm not a good example of how to do this right!
At this time, it's looking like I won't have access to oxy...certainly not those crazy amounts! Which will be the best possible thing for me! More importantly, I'm seeing more and more that I can't keep this up. I know it's quite hazardous to my health and it's also very demoralizing.
I'm a work in progress, that's for sure! I don't have much Sub left either as I quit seeing the doctor 8-9 months ago. So what I'm planning now is to stick to Sub only, get back into seriously working on myself, my addiction, my cravings, etc & see if I can't make it off everything in the next few months.
For me now, Sub has just become a stop-gap drug to avoid withdrawal. I'm not using it properly and it hasn't had any positive (or negative) impact on my addiction in a long time. So in my mind my only option is to get off and do abstinence. I've done it before and I know it's gonna be a bitch. I can do the physical stuff (miserable as it is) but its the psychological that cripples me.
I'm in my late forties with about a ten year addiction history, including my time on Sub...no substance abuse when it's most common (teens/twenties) so I'm kind of an oddball there!
Sounds to me like you've got a very good shot at putting all this behind you. You're young and you've been in recovery with Sub a good while and it seems your life and boyfriend are stable...good set up for success! Keep around here and you'll get support and learn a lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi, so are you at 1mg now? I ask because I am at 1mg on Sub and tapering as well. What is your plan? I split my dose now ).5 in morning and .5 in afternoon). That works good for me keeping the drug level within a 24 hour period. I tried to go to 1x a day (someone recommended I do this). In theory it sounded great, but it was horrible to adjust to that after 3 years splitting my doses throughout the day. I went through withdrawal in mornings and early evenings when on the exact same dose I could get through both with little issues.

Anyway, wise people advised it is by choice whether you go 1x or 2. I actually plan on even splitting more when I get under 1mg (if need be). You will know when it is necessary if you find yourself uncomfortable too soon in your day. As long as I dont dose up..that is my goal. I also think it is good to have a plan on how much you drop below 1mg. I dropped 25% in the higher doses but now I feel creepy crawling drops are fine. Not sure about you, but I am blessed with a doctor who is allowing me to take my time. I have already messed up twice. but hopefully I have learned from dropping to much, too fast or the opposite, hanging on too long at a given dose (have done all that). I hope to drop every 4th day..probably about 10%. My leveling will be targeted at 5 to 10 days. Only when I get down to wee doses will I plan on sitting longer. I just need to allow my body time adjust but not to kid myself and just hang on too long. That is why I need a schedule ahead of time for drops AND leveling.

I am starting my first drop Friday. I had dropped to .6 at one time but messed up. I tried to take a sliver one night and (for me) those dont work well. I have that "I just want to feel better" mindset that slivers dont do well with. It is like a tease. I ended up leveling back to 1mg so now trying this again. It has been all good though. I pray, I ask God for help and figure these have been great learning lessons to teach me what I need to do and get me to lose the doubt. I had doubt in past. Lingering thoughts of just staying at this dose indefinitely? I can't have doubts. I need to believe. I believe you act on what you believe so I had to believe sobriety is what God wants for me..no crutches. Yes, it may hurt... but discipline does that but I know its worth it. THAT is where you need to get your heart at too. Believe it is worth it. The pain is temporary..try not to compare the "quick fix" to the lasting endurance of overall living well. That you can't compare. There are many counterfit moments of happiness or you can have the long lasting never ending JOY of living well. Anyway, thanks for listening.

I think you and I are in similar places being about 1mg. I too use the 2mg sub films as well. Anyway..many blessings to your success.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My doctor told me to never split the dose as it only extends the half life and makes getting off even more difficult. She has experience in detoxing sub patients, thats how she concluded that splitting dose only extends symptoms once you jump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Icaras wrote:
My doctor told me to never split the dose as it only extends the half life and makes getting off even more difficult. She has experience in detoxing sub patients, thats how she concluded that splitting dose only extends symptoms once you jump.

At high doses maybe, but at low doses this is just not true.

Gb