It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:03 am 
New Poster
New Poster

First time poster, but long time lurker (lol). Have read a lot of good advice and I know hope you can help me. I have been on 16mg-2 strips a day- for 9 months. My primary Dr. recently took me off of my seroquel because we both decieded I no longer needed it. We did a taper from the seroquel but it was kind of quick only 2 months after being on it for over 5 yrs. I had some trouble sleeping after this and my Mother-in-law gave me an ambien. I went to my sub Dr. and had my usual appt with urine sample. I have been with this Dr. for 9 months and never failed a drug screen, attend weekly counseling sessions that I have never missed, and even drive a group of women from the homeless shelter to weekly NA meetings. I have always had a great relationship with my Dr. I am honest about everything as a matter of fact the script he wrote me in Oct. walgreens must have looked at it wrong because it had 2 refills on it, which he never does. I called walgreens and they said yes there was 2 refills left. That was the first thing out of my mouth at my Nov appt, I didn't want him to think I had did any thing funny. He said ok thank you sometimes people think his zero is a 2 because of the way he writes it. AGAIN complete openness and honesty on my part. About 10 days later I get a call I failed for benzos, never thought to mention all of the above before b/c didn't know I could fail for an ambien. Am told by nurse I am kicked out and to titrate myself down. I have 40 eight mg strips left. Can I do that with this amount and how should I. Please help, have been doing great never even have a thought of doing a pain pill and had thought that it might be time to stop the program, but not like this. Going to another clinic is not really an option b/c he took my insurance so it only cost me $25 to see him and $25 for my script, I can't afford $300-400 clinics. Sorry this post is so wordy but I am a talker, lol. Advice on how to do it and what to expect would be great. :? Thanks Tara

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Can you try to get an appointment with the doctor so you can at least plead your case? I would definitely try. At the very least he should supervise your taper and prescribe you some clonidine for the withdrawals.

If you do end up having to taper suddenly, you should cut your dose as much as you can as quickly as you can. You should be able to get down to 4mg pretty easily, then slow it down a bit. The lower you get, especially once you get down to around 2mgs, the more you feel the withdrawal, so you want to do that part as slowly as possible.

You can PM me if you want and I can try to help you figure out a schedule.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Definitely. Open up the lines of communication with your doctor. Show him you're still determined, and tell him exactly what happened. Make sure you take responsibility for any wrongs though. Acknowledge that it was your decision to take the Ambien, and that you made a mistake, and should have contacted him to discuss your position. Docs love hearing that stuff cos it shows progress in recovery. Blame shifting is often a symptom of addiction.

It can be hard to sleep when tapering off Seroquel, but I found it nowhere near as hard as coming off benzos. What dose were you coming off? Has your sleeping returned now? I always found Seroquel gave me a distorted sleep of bizarre dreams. My girlfriend told me I talk / run / twitch in my sleep on Seroquel. That can't be too healthy.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I completely agree with the above posts. Talk to your Dr and tell him what went on. Also Tear is right about accepting the blame, drs do typically have a bit of an ego. If you feel you are ready to come off but want his help then explain that to him. If your not ready then don't rush it just because this happened.

Sometimes you will find receptionists that are hard to deal with and they won't schedule you an appointment or even let you talk to the Dr. If that happens I would go down to his office and if you have too sit there until he will hear you out. I am so sorry you are going thru this. There is nothing that angers me more than a Dr who abruptly cuts their patient off, no matter what the reason.

I think you may be surprised if you go talk to him, this will also show him how serious you are about recovery. Good luck and keep us posted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:22 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

SO the ambien showed up as a benzo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:08 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Breezy-Ann,
That is exactly the problem I am having the receptionist will not even let me speak to the Dr. I would have never thought to just go to his office until he see's me, I guess that is what I will have to do. I really feel that I can stop the sub, that it is the right time for me to quit. I just don't know if I can do the taper with the amount of meds I have left. I guess if it gets absolutely unbearable I can go to a clinic and pay $300, but it would be really hard financially for me to do so. Thanks for the advice. Still open to any more help. I was on 200mg of seroquel for over 5 yrs, still have a very hard time sleeping and am taking over the counter sleep aids. I agree, I feel that the Dr. just stopping my meds after 9 months is irresponsible and should not be allowed. If I wasn't an honest person and told him about the refills I would be in great shape with 2 more months of meds. Very frustrating. :x