It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Scruffy, do you have something to offer skelly or are you just trying to start shit up again? I said I'd issue warnings and I will. Please, again, allow this post to get back on track for skelly's sake. I will NOT say this again.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I posted a reply earlier trying to help all I could. And this is just the title of the post---

how is that "starting shit up again" in a thread called Stopping Suboxone.

Some posters just state a point of view to help. Others state theirs and then attack another.

Does it make no difference what seems to be originally asked for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey akamsc,

I love your new avatar, what a hoot!!

OK, so you're 13 days into wd and you took your youngest to the beach today?? WOW, you're tough as nails dude!!! You're doing amazingly well, keep it up!

BTW, you swear a lot.....but that's OK, I do too! :lol:

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Scruffy, expect a PM from me.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:58 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Comic Sans MS] [/font]
Hi again Skelly,
Its almost one in the morning and here I sit again, still not able to sleep at night. But when Im alone and my home and family are quiet, it allows me a great deal of time to get lost in my own little circus of thoughts. I want to clarify a few things that I said on my first post to you. Iv never been the kind of person to hold back my opinion when it has been asked for...First off, My intentions here at this site is to have a support group right on my lap whenever I deem necessary, and also to give support to anybody who is ready to take that final leap off of suboxone. You probably won't see me posting much anywhere except on the threads " stopping suboxone"...thats pretty much where my interests take me.
When I told you that your friend was lying to you, I admit it may have sounded cold, hard, and insensitive, but I wanted to grab your attention....I still stand by that comment also.....BUT, let me explain further. Your friend isn't intentionally lying, as a matter of fact, he probably really thinks he was in some miserable withdrawls....If I woke up one morning and didn't have my morning coffee fix, Id probably conjure up all kinds of horrifying phisical complaints all day!! I haven't had my " get up and start my day fix and ritual". That alone can really mess with a person....I don't even want to think of what I could imagine and fabricate if I didn't get my morning cigarette!!!
An addicts mind is a scary, frustrating, seemingly unpenatrable place at times! If you take away something we think we need, even for a very short time, it will be as if you told us that we are no longer allowed air to breathe! We will fixate on that loss, and we will convince ourselves and others that the world will probably end if we don't get our ritual back! We cry, throw fits, act sick,......and lie. We believe ourselves though, and thats how we convince others.
Your friend has to get to a very personal and painfully truthful point in his life to make a change....I do believe he wants to stop taking the sub, but I also believe he wants it to be easier than it really is....This is no cake walk....and Im SHUR your friend felt different when he didn't take his morning dose, but until he comes to grips with the fact that feeling different is ok and that its normal and that he has to prepare himself with mind boggling changes in his life, he probably isn't ready for the change. This is something that he has to feel....that is not to say you can't help him. Addicts need people who can be brutally honest with them....when people are wishy washy with us, we got em by the balls....were good at it...we don't want to think we are weak or need help...its our loved ones who need to convince us that needing help is alright....we are not failors....we are still strong...Iv never known an addict to get clean by people holding thier hand and wipeing thier asses for them....Don't give up on your friend, be brutally honest with him....don't sugar coat this crazy train....The easy part is over, he wants to stop.....now the work begins...and he will have a great friend that stood by him through this.....and if you can stand by an addict, you are truely a patient, blessed individual! :wink:

Post subject: Your Friend
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:44 pm 

Hi Skelly,

The problem as I see it is that you are trying so hard to help your friend by coming here looking for some answers. If he/she really wants help then I'd suggest you point them in our direction. No addict will get better because of someone else reaching out for help. They need to do the reaching out. Just say that we here know exactly what he is going through and may be able to help him find recovery, whether it be continued use of Suboxone or completing the taper you asked for.

I apologize that your thread got a little off track of your concerns but it seems we are back to the original problem. I agree with the post above stating that the addicts mind will do more damage than the physical part. Being w/o your Suboxone or DOC you think that you are immediately going into withdrawals and he probably does 'cause his mind tells him so.

And yes I agree 30 8mg film strips could be enough to do a successful taper. Just don't drop too much. If possible, stick with a reduction of 10% every three days or no more than 25% every week, maybe two depending on how his body is feeling.

But do try to get him to come here for help by himself. Then you can be the support system he will so very much need. Don't tell him the withdrawals are bad coming off of Suboxone. They may or may not be. If a person believes it will be bad then it WILL be bad. The mind is very powerful so just be supportive and if and when he jumps off the Sub, then you can help by seeking things that will comfort him. There are lots of posts about using certain vitamins, sleep aids, etc. He will need it. Or just start a topic asking for things to help with withdrawal.

If it proves to be too much and you think he may go back to active using then do all you can to get him into seeing a legitimate Suboxone doctor.

Welcome to our forum and please continue to seek answers. We will do all we can to help.

R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey Skelly...not sure if you're still out there. You've gotten a lot of feedback, but unfortunately not an answer to your original question. Your friend has more than enough Sub to do a conservative taper plan. I was on it longer than that, and this is roughly what worked for me. He's obviously stable at 8 mgs, so here goes:

4 mgs. - 7 days (with sub you can drop more quickly from higher doses. If he insists, he can do a week at 6mgs also)
2 mgs. - 7 days
1mg. - 7 days
.75 mg.- 7 days
.5 mg. - 7days (he can also go to .375, but I didn't find it necessary)
.25 mg.- 7 days
.125 mg.-7 days
Jump

Would take 7 weeks, which is conservative for someone who's only been on them for a few months. This would require 13/8 mg. strips or pills, including the optional 6 mg. dose, so there would be 17 left. As you can see he could add a few doses along the way and not run out. If you're still around, there you go.