It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:55 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Greetings. Any and all advise is much appreciated. I'm currently doing a short suboxone taper (around 3 weeks) from a daily 185 mg. hydro habit. I inducted at 4 mg, which seemed more than enough (felt very good). I stayed at that dose for 3 days, then spent 4 days at 2 mgs, and am currently on my 3rd day at 1 mg. I intend to spend 4 days at 1, 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8 mgs. That will be a total of 23 days. I dose once per day in the morning.

So far it's been fairly painless, sleeping and eating well, etc. However, starting from my drop to 1 mg. I've had some withdrawals from time to time, later in the evening I'm just curious; doesn't seem like these could be coming from the sub after such a short taper. Do you think these could be acute withdrawals from my hydro habit? I've been using close to 7 years and the acute period has gotten to be pretty long.

Did I start too low, am I tapering too fast, or do you think my taper plan sounds about right. Sorry this is so long. Any thoughts on my situation would really be appreciated. I guess if it's the last of the hydro withdrawals I'll just suck it up. Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's my belief that an opiate is an opiate is an opiate. The brain doesn't know the difference. You are addicted to OPIATES and that's what you're withdrawing from. As for your taper, I'd say you're doing it too quickly...BUT, you're doing a rapid taper, and that's to be expected. For it to be totally painless, it would need to be a longer taper. You could try to do every other day dosing for a few days - 2-1-2-1. Obviously that's slower, but depending on how you do it, it could save you some suffering.

Please know that this is only based on what I've learned about suboxone tapering over the last couple of years, because I'm still on it. I wish I could offer you something more. Good luck!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:24 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I see what you're saying. Maybe I just misunderstood about these rapid sub detoxes from short-acting opiates. I thought they were pretty much painless. Maybe they're just LESS painful than tapering or some other method. I would have gone slower, but everyone kept saying "don't stay on sub for more than 2 or 3 weeks." Oh well, still hasn't been too bad, unless it gets a lot worse under 1 mg. Thanks very much for the reply.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:50 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Golden1 - I have had the same problem when tapering to 1mg. I have been on them since November at 4mg twice a day down to 1mg once a day in the morning with many days/levels in between. I have been feeling the withdraws at night but not nearly as bad as I did when I tried to go from 2mg to nothing. Like you said, they are minor and to get off the sub I will live with them.

I do wonder though, how people get to 1/8?? How the heck do you make such a tiny piece as I'm having a hard time getting to 1mg? lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:36 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Ust ask your dr. For the 2mg strips then cut those. You woukd be surprised how small you can get those things with a razor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Liquid taper method. Done by dissolving Suboxone tablets in small amounts of water, and measuring out the dose with an eye dropper.

See here:

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=296

There's no such thing as a painless taper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:40 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks Panda. Great progress so far. Congratulations. Yes, the withdrawals are manageable so far and well worth it. I drop to 1/2 tomorrow and am a little nervous. I think my mistake was hearing people say "yeah, I was taking 300 mgs. of oxy, went in-patient and they put me on Sub for 5 days. No withdrawals." Hasn't been my experience. Maybe they weren't using too long.

I'm mostly just getting the "heebie jeebies" at night and a little anxiety/irritability. No real physical pain. I'm actually still going to the gym and sleeping OK. I may slow down a little so I'm not a mess during the holidays. Anyone think that would set me back?

I hear you about the strips. 1/8's are making me blind (yes, I'm south of 50!) and it's hard to tell if they're even in my mouth lol Oh well, reading glasses or a microscope for Christmas. Thanks again to everyone for the responses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome, you have had some great advice but I wanted to add one thing. When getting into the lower doses the long half life no longer applies. This is why you are getting withdrawl in the evenings. Dr. Junig recommends splitting your dose up and dosing twice daily when you get this low in your taper. This will help to keep your blood levels more steady and help with the evening withdrawls.

I have also read some posts where the member would take their dose (if still dosing once daily) about an hour or two before bed. They said it allowed them to sleep and not wake up in withdrawl. I am not sure which you would prefer but they preferred to feel the withdrawl symptoms during the day rather than it interfering with their sleep. Also most people have said if you can stay busy you do not notice the symptoms as much.

I wish you well on your taper and hope you stick around the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Breezy_Ann wrote:
I am not sure which you would prefer but they preferred to feel the withdrawl symptoms during the day rather than it interfering with their sleep. Also most people have said if you can stay busy you do not notice the symptoms as much.

That's a really great idea! I love this place. I'm picking up little bits here and there for my taper.

It's the worst that feeling of lying in bed, achy, the head racing, unable to sleep. You'd feel much better the next day after a decent sleep with a bit of withdrawal than on no sleep running on suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:48 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks Breezy Ann. I didn't know that, it certainly explains a lot. Think I'll start taking it later in the day so it lasts into the evening.

Well...(drum roll) today is my first day at 1/2 mg. I'm a little nervous about how I'll feel from here on out. Would appreciate input from anyone who's made the drop from 1 to 1/2. Thanks again for all the replies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Golden1,

Congratulations on getting down to .5mg, you're almost there!!

I wanted to ask you if you have any Clonidine. Clonidine is a blood pressure medication that's prescribed off label for opiate wd. It's quite common for treating opiate wd and it was really one of the only meds that made any difference for me when I quit Suboxone. For lack of a better term, it helps to control the "Heeby Jebbies" of opiate wd. I was prescribed .1mg twice daily. Clonidine also has a sedative effect, that'll help ya with sleep if/when you encounter that problem. Clonidine is NOT addictive, I took it for months and months and quit taking it with no issues.

You sound like you're doing really well with your taper, stay positive, stay active and stay strong....you can do this, it is well within your grasp!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks Romeo...I'll ask my Sub Doc to prescribe me some of that. I'll take anything to ease the heebie-jeebies (perfect description).

Withdrawals were pretty wicked last night, but still bearable. I probably went too fast, but it's a little late to turn back now. I think I'll be happy in the long run that I didn't go much past 3 weeks. Just gonna keep on keepin on. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:51 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well, it's my first day at .25 mgs. I was really nervous, until I realized I'm still above the therapeutic dose for moderate to severe pain(.2). It's day 16 of my short taper, and it hasn't been too bad. I've had withdrawal but not too bad. I guess there's no free lunch.

I would recommend this to anyone wishing to get off short-acting opiates. Just ignore the suggestions to go too fast (7 days or less). It's not even enough time to get through acute withdrawals. 14-21 days is OK as long as you start at a really low dose (4 or less) and taper the whole time.

Best of luck to everyone