It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Please Help Me
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:27 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

My name is J. I am a 25 yr old femail, who ghas been on Suboxone for 2 years now. I originally strated taking after abusing prescribed vicodens. Up until the vicoden abuse I had been clean for 3 years from Heroin and other drugs. I managed to quit those horrible drugs by spending a few motn hs in Jail, and moving on...so I thought. So I was put on 32 mgs of the Suboxone(way too high I know). I liked it. It made me feel normal and full of energy.I got an excellant job, and was ablt to be Super Mom and wife. I have a three year old daughjter. I have been on Suboxone for more then half of her life. Anywasy. I thought I was tapering doen the whole tiem and came to realixze that the pharmacy had been givign me the wrong dose. I thought I was taking 3, 2 mg pills a day, but I was actually taking 3, 8mg pills a day. Whejn this was realized the doctor said I has to continue tot ake the higher dose, and start over.For the last 4 monthsd I have had terible anxiety and depression. Somehting I have never had before the suboxone. I had to quit my stressful job, and have been dealing with the worst heartburn known to man. I have had all kinds of medical tests, and they all show that I am healthy. I wound up in the ER last night, with what I thought was a heart attack. I then was told I was preganat and they couldnt give me anythuing for the anxiety attacks. I feel like I am struggling to breath all day long. I will not under any circumstance bring an addicted babay into this world. I want to stop the sub now( I currently take 8 mgs a day). I know they say I could have a miscarriage from the withdrawls, but I am willing to gamble that. I am more afraid of the anxiety and depression. I have my daughter I need tot ake care of. I can not be liek this. I have no family around and my husband who is normal, does not understand this. I wound up taking 1 mg of ativan, depsite my fear of respitory failure. It made me feel better and sleep. I woke up with the same horribel feeling. I do not know what to do. I just spke with the nirse at my docs office to tell him whats been going on the last few days. Has anyone been on Suboxone this long and experienced the same anxiety? Also- Has anyone ever heard of soemone getting off the suboxone after 2 years at such high and varied doses? I forgot how to relax somehwere along the way. I do not want to take benzos and have that bear to deal with. I just want my life back....somehting I thought I was doing by taking suboxone. I think my dcotor mismanaged my case. I do not think Iw as ever supposed to be on such high doses...It is my fault too though. I should have ben stronger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:46 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I just wanted to ask if anyone has heard of someone getting off sub in the first trimester, and the affect if any on the baby. Thank you all for your time.

Post subject: Re: Please Help Me
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

jmdear wrote:
My name is J. I am a 25 yr old femail, who ghas been on Suboxone for 2 years now. I originally strated taking after abusing prescribed vicodens. Up until the vicoden abuse I had been clean for 3 years from Heroin and other drugs. I managed to quit those horrible drugs by spending a few motn hs in Jail, and moving on...so I thought. So I was put on 32 mgs of the Suboxone(way too high I know). I liked it. It made me feel normal and full of energy.I got an excellant job, and was ablt to be Super Mom and wife. I have a three year old daughjter. I have been on Suboxone for more then half of her life. Anywasy. I thought I was tapering doen the whole tiem and came to realixze that the pharmacy had been givign me the wrong dose. I thought I was taking 3, 2 mg pills a day, but I was actually taking 3, 8mg pills a day. Whejn this was realized the doctor said I has to continue tot ake the higher dose, and start over.For the last 4 monthsd I have had terible anxiety and depression. Somehting I have never had before the suboxone. I had to quit my stressful job, and have been dealing with the worst heartburn known to man. I have had all kinds of medical tests, and they all show that I am healthy. I wound up in the ER last night, with what I thought was a heart attack. I then was told I was preganat and they couldnt give me anythuing for the anxiety attacks. I feel like I am struggling to breath all day long. I will not under any circumstance bring an addicted babay into this world. I want to stop the sub now( I currently take 8 mgs a day). I know they say I could have a miscarriage from the withdrawls, but I am willing to gamble that. I am more afraid of the anxiety and depression. I have my daughter I need tot ake care of. I can not be liek this. I have no family around and my husband who is normal, does not understand this. I wound up taking 1 mg of ativan, depsite my fear of respitory failure. It made me feel better and sleep. I woke up with the same horribel feeling. I do not know what to do. I just spke with the nirse at my docs office to tell him whats been going on the last few days. Has anyone been on Suboxone this long and experienced the same anxiety? Also- Has anyone ever heard of soemone getting off the suboxone after 2 years at such high and varied doses? I forgot how to relax somehwere along the way. I do not want to take benzos and have that bear to deal with. I just want my life back....somehting I thought I was doing by taking suboxone. I think my dcotor mismanaged my case. I do not think Iw as ever supposed to be on such high doses...It is my fault too though. I should have ben stronger.

I did it. Day 20 now. I stopped at 8mg/day. Day 1-3 were nothing, 4-7 I didn't sleep, chills, crying etc, chills went away about day 12, crying spells around day 18. I did only take for 3 months though. I feel about 95% now. The mood swings were awful (crying spells). Just remember that every minute you stopped is another minute closer to the end. I never did get bad anxiety, but I took a low dose of hydrocodone (3-4 5mg tabs a day). I stopped that yesterday.. No withdrawal from that, just pain from the problem that caused me to use opioids in the first place.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Bad Medicine
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Your therapy was indeed mismanaged the day someone prescribed you a narcotic to get you off narcotics. It's like prescribing Valium to get you off Xanax. It just doesn't make sense. Except maybe for a short course.

The good doctor (who is very very FOUL in one-on-one conversations if you oppose him) that runs this site would like you to believe that Suboxone is a miracle drug. He would like for you to believe that going to 12-step meetings while taking Suboxone is unnecessary and perhaps even problematic. (That's because he quits making money if you go to meetings and don't need his snake oil anymore).

I have no doubt that as a patient taking Suboxone you feel like a million bucks. The problem is, there's no incentive to change the way you live once you're on this junk. Addicts (and I am one in recovery) have a great deal more problems than just eating narcotics. We don't do "life" very well. Given another narcotic for long-term "recovery" from someone we are supposed to be able to trust gives us the illusion that we are doing the right thing. When actually we're plugging up the hole in our sinking ship with a chewed-up piece of bubble gum.

I am only a pharmacist- I don't have the PhD in neurochemistry like the doctor here. I do feel strongly that this is a bad long-term solution. It is an easier way, but to live a richer, fuller life- seek out real recovery through the 12-steps, through a dedicated church, or some way to change you- not just keep your opiod receptors happy.
www.jaredcombs.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:43 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I have been on Suboxone for 2 years. At first it was great...the honey moon is over. The reason I have been on for so long, is becasue 1.) I was being given 8 mgs, the whole time I was supposed to getting 2 mg tabs, by a pharmacy and 2.) Becasue at first, I didnt want to get off of it.
I whole heatredly agree with everything you said, and I will start going to meetings or church. The problem is, I am now Pregnant. I am a proffessional myself, and my co-workers would never guess in a million years what the real me is like. I am married, with a beautiful family. From the outside- everything looks great. The inside is bad. I have terribel anxiety, and now that I found out the decision I must make, it is 10 times worse. I had to go to the ER after passing put from a panic attack. I do not want to switch to subutex, and stay on it for a another year. I can not. They tell me if I quit this now, I will miscarry. I was raised Catholic, and I do not want to abort,but I also do not want to inflict addciton upon an inocent child. All becasue of the stupid vicodens, I had to take after a complicated delivery. Has anyone heard of someone quitting sub while pregnant, and not miscarrying?

Post subject: Re: Bad Medicine
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

addictpharmacist wrote:
Your therapy was indeed mismanaged the day someone prescribed you a narcotic to get you off narcotics. It's like prescribing Valium to get you off Xanax. It just doesn't make sense. Except maybe for a short course.

I understand what you mean about the narcotics. Currently I am on day 5 suboxone (and all opiate) free... BUT I am on xanax and probably taking way too much but it really helps with the panic attacks so frequent through my day.
I was considering going on Valium to get off the xanax because it is apparently WEAKER, has small doses that you could not achieVe with other benzos and it has a long half-life. Apparently it just got a bad rap in the 70s from deaths than could haVe easily been from any benzo. Not to like start a quarrel I just read that and thought that some should be informed maybe switching to Valium is okay from other benzos like xanax and klonopin.

• <b><i>Xanax</i> 1mg/day - </b>more like 3mg tho lately :(

<u>Life is worth living and love is worth giving</u> <3

Post subject: gettin OFF the dope
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I don't have a problem with folks using Suboxone to wean off Oxycontin or hydrocodone. I don't have a problem with somebody taking Valium to wean off Xanax. Valium does have a longer half-life and it might allow for a softer weaning period. What i disagree with is putting people on a long-term mind-altering substitute instead of encouraging sobriety. Benzo withdrawl is nasty and possibly dangerous.
Whatever you need to do to get off the junk and on with life... with the aid of a trustworthy doctor... do it.
I wish you luck. Twelve step groups aren't the only way...but they're a proven way. Give it a try- there's some good people in there that want to help. :lol: