It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Please help!!!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:45 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello, I have been on Suboxone for about a year now & it has improved my life immensely.
Unfortunately, my Suboxone prescribing doctor has recently decided to cut me off. I was well maintained on 16MG for the entire year, but within the past two weeks, I have been cut from 16MG to 2MG per day & it's killing me. I have my next appointment on Wednesday, & I know that he is going to take me off completely. His reasoning is that 'I've been on it for long enough'.

Is there any way that I could go to see another Suboxone prescribing doctor like ASAP? The last prescription he wrote me was on last Wednesday for seven 2MG films. Would it be too early for me to go to another doctor & get a new prescription like this week? Or would it be okay since my current doctor only wrote me seven days worth?

Please let me know!! Oh & thank you for your time & consideration in advance!

~Sincerest & best rregards!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Woah, 16 to 2 in two weeks?!?! That is not cool or even reasonable, if it was me I would get another doctor ASAP. Tell the new doctor what's going on he should know what can be one. Just my 2 cents...

Post subject: Too Quickly
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:38 pm 

Sounds like malpractice to me. He is tapering you down way too fast and not the recommended way and he knows it. Yes, I would be looking for a new Suboxone doctor right away before you really start feeling like shit. And tell the new one about what happened and what his view is of maintenance Suboxone use.

Your doctor should have had a plan for your recovery when you first signed up. Some want patients off in six months, others don't mind giving it forever if it keeps you off the addiction cycle. Meaning, some are smarter than others.

Now with my 2¢ you have 4¢

Rule

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'll make it 6 cents and say that your sub doctor should not have a license to practice medicine. That is awful! When I read these kind of stories, it just reinforces my decision to stockpile my subs while I can, in case this kind of thing happens.

Post subject: Stockpiling subs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:57 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Taurus wrote:
I'll make it 6 cents and say that your sub doctor should not have a license to practice medicine. That is awful! When I read these kind of stories, it just reinforces my decision to stockpile my subs while I can, in case this kind of thing happens.

Hey Taurus, I am concerned about this same thing happening to me. I have considered stockpiling myself, but I can't figure out how I would get by with it because of the way my doctor drug screens at every appointment. I am supposed to take one 8mg strip once per day and I think that is a good dose for me, any less and I start to crave pretty bad. On that dose I am pretty good for the majority of the day. He only gives me 30 8mg strips per month so there isn't any extra to save. Even if I wanted to cut down my dose and try to save the extra, he says he tests the levels of suboxone in my system every month...so wouldn't he notice if I didn't have the right amount of sub in my urine?

I was just wondering if there is a trick to saving it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My doctor gives me extras each month just in case I need them. He doesn't understand how I am the only patient he has ever had that requests less strips than he is willing to prescribe. He thinks it's great that I can maintain on a low dose, but I guess he thinks it won't last, or that I might end up needing more before I see him again. That hasn't happened yet though. I just end up taking less and less each time, so I have more left over. I told him last time that he didn't even need to prescribe me any, because I had enough left over from my induction and the last appt to get me through the next month, but he gave me the regular Rx anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:31 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Wow, that's great Taurus. Sounds like you got a good doc there. I hope mine turns out to be okay, the vibe I'm getting from him and stories I've heard I'm expecting problems when he thinks it's time to taper. Hope he proves me wrong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Taurus wrote:
My doctor gives me extras each month just in case I need them. He doesn't understand how I am the only patient he has ever had that requests less strips than he is willing to prescribe. He thinks it's great that I can maintain on a low dose, but I guess he thinks it won't last, or that I might end up needing more before I see him again. That hasn't happened yet though. I just end up taking less and less each time, so I have more left over. I told him last time that he didn't even need to prescribe me any, because I had enough left over from my induction and the last appt to get me through the next month, but he gave me the regular Rx anyway.

I am jealous. My doctor conveniently took a vacation this week and had his nurse tell me they don't want any more maintenance patients. They better get me a good referral.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's really sad surgerybound. I hope you find another doctor soon. That is such a stress with taking this med for some people. Yes, I did get lucky. My doc actually told me I should prob stay on it long term because of my 20 year drug addiction history, not just because of my last 2 years of opiate addiction. Sub really has kept my cravings away for any drugs and alcohol, so I think he is right. Not only would I not have been able to taper off hydrocodone on my own, but I'm SURE I'd be on something else by now without it.