It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Please Help
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:22 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been doing opiates of all kinds for the better part of the last three years of my life. Just recently I decided to quit and had no clue what I was getting myself into. I was sick for the first three days but the depression/lack of sleep is what is really killing me. My friend offered me a sub to help get some sleep last night which was day 6 of cold turkey so I took it thinking it wouldn't have any consequences. I have used suboxone before but never been prescribed it. Now I am just praying that I didn't screw myself over and that I will start all over again or feel sick. I was pretty much like 80% and feeling a lot better but I just haven't been able to sleep more than 4 hours a night and it was making me crazy. Will the suboxone I took have negative consequences or send me right back to day one? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Because Suboxone has a very long half life, it will slowly leave your body over a couple of days, and not throw you into abrupt withdrawals like full agonists do. That's not to say that you won't still feel crummy after it wears off, but it won't be intense. Have you considered using Suboxone as a treatment tool? If you have a long history of opiate abuse the Sub will not only help you feel better, but will also reduce your cravings and block the effects of other opiates if you slip up. It really is an effective medication when used properly. In the links section there is a tool for finding Suboxone doctors in your area.
Good luck,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:56 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have thought about it but I live with my parents and am under their health insurance so I dont know how to get on suboxone without them finding out. I also have kept my use a secret from my girlfriend of almost two years. I'm sick of feeling like a piece of shit and I feel I can actually quit this altogether cold turkey. I dont want to live this way anymore and I look at suboxone as something to be used by someone who can't get off opiates cold turkey. I have the will power, I was feeling pretty good actually the sleep thing is what made me take it and the fact that it was in a buddy's pocket made it tempting. I didn't think about the fact that it could have negative consequences on my quitting. I honestly can say I will never use an opiate again for pleasure but I was just worried about going through the depression and anxiety and restless legs that came with day one and two of quitting. I also think that a short Opana binge right before quitting made the withdrawals way worse than if I had just taken a couple percs. I just want to feel normal again and get on with my life, and I felt like I was on my way but wanted to make sure one suboxone wont be my downfall.

Thanks so much

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Like Lilly said, one suboxone won't make anything worse. Just keep in mind that the whole cold turkey and getting "clean" thing is the easy part...it's the STAYING "clean" that's the really hard part. You'll continue to have cravings and the relapse rate for opiate addiction is extremely high. Remember opiate addiction is a disease and it has nothing to do with will power or self control. That said, I wish you the very best. I truly hope you succeed! Keep us posted on how you're doing! :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi iwantout19,

You've gotten some great replies already, I hope you read them carefully.

As far as Suboxone putting you back to square one, nah, I don't think it's gonna do that. It's quite a different opiate from what you had been taking, I don't think it'll have set you back at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:37 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Awesome news, thanks a lot! It's day 8 now and I'm still feeling fine. One day at a time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I would try to talk to a Doctor. The depression is what caused me to relapse. many times. Maybe you could get on a anti-depressant for a month or 2. You have made it this far so I don't think Suboxone would be needed in your current situation since you have been able to quit on your own. It sounds like you have the power to do this and have made it far. Don't let your body say I can take a few more percs and be fine.

I am not a doctor I just wanted to give you my opinion. Only you can make the right call for yourself.

GOOD LUCK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congrats TimeToStop. By making it this far you've shown real strength. Most people addicted to opiates can't make it past the 3rd day.

I think that if you've come this far, don't move backwards and start on the Suboxone. See how you go without it first. If you've only been using three years, I'd say there's a decent chance you can make it without Subox, as long as you remain determined as you have so far.

I feel that buprenorphine made me more dependent on opiates because I took it at a stage of my addiction when I probably didn't need it, and when I could have stopped using with my determination to get my life back on track. When I'd been using for around 3 years, I quit for one year. One fantastic year.

The longer you stay dependent on opiates, the harder it is to stop. For me, Suboxone is the lesser of two evils, but I would love to be clean again without it.

Will Suboxone make you restart your detox? No. I don't think you'll be back to day one. You may be a lil uncomfortable for a coupla days, but that'd be it. I understand your fear though. I remember when I had a habit, and I'd try to get clean. If I managed to get to day 6 and cave, it was right back to Go, do not collect 200$ (because I just spent it :D ).

Anyhow, good luck! Oh, and if you find yourself on the verge of relapse, seriously consider Suboxone over using.