It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Please help
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:33 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I have been on suboxone for 6 years taking 6mgs daily of the pill form and now over the last 4 months i have taken 6-8mgs of the film form, but over the last 4 days i have found my medicine not to be working properly? I have had a stomach flu during this stretch throwing up alot one night and not getting much sleep. I have no clue why my suboxone is not working the way it used to???? Am i hitting the 6 year wall and now i need something else or should i try and up the dose? Yetserday i took 6mgs film and 8 mgs pill for a total of 14mg yesterday and today i have taken 4mgs of film. Any suggestions? I am really scared. I called my doctor this morning and still waiting for a response. I am not sure he will know what to do anyway? Is it time for me to go to a 30 day program or more? I know i am a rare being on this medicine for 6 years, so not many have any answers. Sry about being all over the place, but I am scared to death. would being sick and only eating 1 egg and 2 pieces of toast over the last 4 days cause my medication to act this way? I might be dehydrated?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey cbk,

I just copied this over from your other thread. I know how frickin' scary it is what you're going through. If what's happening to you is the same as what happened to me, then know that it will get better, OK?

Here's the part I copied over:

Hi cbk,

I've had a couple of experiences getting really sick (flu?) while on opiates and it seems like the opiates all of a sudden quit working for me while I was sick? I have no earthly idea why this happens, but it has happened to me more than once.

I noticed while on full agonists (Vicodin, OxyContin) that if I got a nasty flu, I would get taken down hard....straight into wd.

While I was taking Suboxone, I only remember this ever happening once. It was like I could feel the Suboxone leaving my body? The meds seemed to start working again after a day or two.

I know this, it was scary as hell, but it also subsides fairly quickly.

Post subject: thx
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:52 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

thx for getting back, It is going on 5 pretty bad days and 2 days of hell, i hope ur right, I called my docotor and he said increasing the dose would not do much, and it would kick in about a half hour if it was withdrawal systems i was experencing. So he said wait it out and see if things get better, which he thought they would, because the drug will simply not work anymore all of the sudden after taking it for 6 years. So i hope he is right and I start to regain my old self. super scared

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: johnboy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

man this sounds very scary! so subs dont work if you get the flue?
the flue can last up too 3 weeks,or a month.should doctors tell people
about this,or do they even know? what the hell does the flue do to the
suboxone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:01 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am not sure I beleive the sub just stop working as much as we being in active addiction not use to feeling the flu or whatever. Also we as addicts dont like to feel bad at all, no depression, illness or discomfort. If we feel this the first thing we want to do is more drugs.

relax Johnboy..... I dont think MD should tell folks sub wont work if you get sick. Also why worry about something that has not happen to you? I know we are use to being involved in chaos but to think that sub just stops working? really?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm curious. Is there something known as the 6 year wall? I've never heard of that. I certainly can say that Suboxone worked differently for me over time, but the change wasn't a sudden sort of thing, like you are describing.

I think you are probably feeling the normal symptoms of having a bad virus, but they mimic opiate w/d, so you are thinking it's the Suboxone. Does that make sense? Just a thought. I hope you feel better soon!

laddertipper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:34 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I have been sick the last 5 days and I guess your right, the cold symptoms made me feel like the suboxone was not working. But i guess i just need to tough it out until i feel better again and wait for the cold to stop. Could it be that I possibly need an anti depression medication? I mean the depression over the last 2 days has been unreal. I am really scared at this point and considering going to inpatient treatment facility. Again any advice appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Johnboy,

You're not going to go into wd every time you get sick or get the flu.

I was on opiates for 13 years altogether and I think I felt what cbk is talking about 3 times over those 13 years.

I still don't understand what happened during those episodes, I remember telling my wife that I could feel the opiates leaving my body?? It was nowhere near a "normal flu" feeling, if I had to describe it, I would call it Precipitated Withdrawal?? I can't explain it any better than that though.

I am certainly not trying to scare anyone, I was simply trying to provide some kind of answers to cbk hoping it would help to calm him/her down and let him know that he was not the only one to ever have gone through this.

I know this too, apparently I am one of the very, very few that have experienced this. It is NOT a common occurence from what I understand.

Post subject: johnboy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

oh"i dont no.its what the suboxone did to the flu,not what the flu did to the suoxone :lol:
you'l get better soon.thanks romeo/here ya birdie god bless.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

[font=Century Gothic][color=red]Hey *Johnboy*, Im sorry Your feeling so poorly and have been so sick lately, the only thing i can add is that while on Suboxone i had a GI bug and had a hell of a time getting the proper dose of medicine until my bug was gone. Being ill and especially vomiting as well as being dehydrated which i would be willing to bet you are can indeed have an effect on your absorbtion of your medications. Hope this helped. Just try to get plenty of fluids and rest and try and eat bland foods![/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I don't want to scare anybody but i was on suboxone for almost 4 years with no problems and I had planned to never go off that is until one night I started to feel withdrawl symptoms wich went away after about an hour.Then a week later it happend again for an hour and went away,but then the following week on a friday night it happend again only this time it did not go away and i was basicly in constant withdrawl and my doc uped my dose wich did nothing.I am married and was 30 at the time and it got so bad that my mom flew from california to tennesse because I could not be alone and I was so scared because I was on a stable dose of 2 milligrams for the last 2 years and how could I ween myself if I am already in withdrawl so I was stuck in a rock and a hard place.Any way this started in september and went on until january after trying one rehab that did not work as after 2 days of no sub i was in even worse withdrawl so I went to a place in florida that detoxes you off subs by giving you liquid hydrocodone over a period of 21 days.The first dose of hydro they gave me made my withdrawls go away within 20 min so I know for a fact it was the subs that stopped working because I was in withdrawl for 4 months and then bam as soon as they gave me hydros it went away.Now when they broke me down I started withdrawl from no opiates in my system and when I got home I was in accute withdrawl for 3 weeks and the horrid paws for 6 months but that did go away in what was the hardest time in my life.I do want to say I did not do any other drugs the whole four years while i was on sub and I started at 10 mg and over two years got down to 2 mg and stayed at that for 2 more years until the shit hit the fan.I am not trying to bash sub I just wanted to share my story as we don't know the longterm effects of sub as it has only been in the usa for less then 10 years.I have read everyones post on here looking to see if anyone else had gone through what I did and I saw this post and had to become a member after years of just reading post.I am happy to say I am drug free now so the sub did help me to never want to take another drug in my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OMG, I'm horrified to hear you went through that. It sounds like you did so with grace and strength though and are now solidly on the other side. You should feel good about that.

From what I know, and that's just from education myself for more than 2 years, yours is a very rare situation. If fact it's the first I've heard of it. Have you informed the FDA? They want to know about serious effects such as that. If you haven't, you might want to consider it. Now I THINK it's the FDA...Does anyone know if's it's Reckitt-Benckiser instead or in addition to?
I just know it needs to be reported and I think it's to the FDA.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your experience and thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's weird indeed.

But I believe it. I've had some whacky idiosyncratic reactions myself.

Bear in mind that the flu feels a lot like withdrawals in many ways. I guess the main way to tell the difference is whether or not you can still sleep.