It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: PLease help
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Can someone give me some advice. I have been on suboxone for three years now. I have been tapering off, so I asked my doc to subscribe me one pill a day. At first it was hard, so I took one and a half the first week or two to help me sleep. Now I am out of medicine, and my next appointment isnt until Dec. 5th, I have been calling him since Wednesday, and he is nowhere to be found. I have tried to quit cold turkey before, and it was hell, I even went to the emergency room and they couldnt give me anything or do anything for me. I cant do it again. i have a job and a 10 year old to take care of. I have been without suboxone now going on my 3rd day, and I need to do something but I dont know what. I found one other doctor in my area that subscribes suboxone, but he is out of town and isnt taking new patients. is there any doctor that isnt local that could call in a prescription for me until my doctor is back in town or wherever he is? I am so scared, I dont know what to do, I am already getting sick and antsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I saw you posted this on another thread and that's where I responded to you. I'll try to recap what I said over there. Have you tried speaking to your primary care doctor? Any doctor can prescribe suboxone off-label for pain without having the waiver. Also s/he might be able to give you some Clonodine to help with the discomfort of the withdrawals. I would also keep trying to reach your sub doctor. I'm sorry I don't have better advice. I'm sure others will come along and have better ideas than I.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the response. I havent been to a primary doctor in years, I know I should, but its hard enough making time to go to my suboxone doctor, Im a single working mom so I just havent done it. From everything Ive been told hardly any doctors will prescribe suboxone unless they specialize in it, my mom's psychiatrist told her that. I remember when I ran out of pills four years ago and tried to quite cold turkey, it got so bad I had to go to the ER, and once I told them my situation, they labeled me an "addict" and wouldnt give me anything, no pain pills or nothing. Luckily I called the doctor I have now off the internet and he saw me the next day.

The good news is I found another doctor who prescribes suboxone in my area, and she is willing to see me as a walkin on Monday, but I will have to wait. The bad news is unless by some miracle my regular doctor calls me, I will be without anything all weekend, and it will be going on 5 days by Sunday. I wish I had known he wasnt going to call me back, I could have done all this wednesday or thursday, today everywhere Ive called is telling me "we close at 100pm, we cant help you with anything today". Any other advice, thank you for the quick response...

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so happy to hear you found another doctor who will see you that quickly. That's a rarity. The best thing I can tell you this weekend is stay busy and exercise! Physical exercise is one thing that everyone who's suffered from sub withdrawal all say helps a lot. I know that isn't much consolation, but waiting the weekend is tons better than waiting till December. Hang in there and post as much as you need to.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you... My neck is killing me, my face is flushed, I dont know why that happens so much when you are in withdrawal, but I am starting to feel uncomfortable. Luckily it is not hellish yet, Im hoping to god I can make it through the weekend, but I dont think it will be good, it is my third day already. I called an 1-800 number earlier this morning, I think I saw it on the suboxone directory website, and the lady told me they were a clinic and couldnt help me, but when I explained what happened (about me running out of meds and the doctor being unavailable), she said she hears that a lot with suboxone. That is so messed up, I cant understand how this could happen so much, do the doctors not know how this feels, or maybe they think you deserve it for getting yourself into this mess?

And that makes me wonder, where is my doctor? Ive been going to him for three years now, he has no receptionist at this moment because he says he doesnt need one. He usually calls me back within one to two days, he has a special cell phone I think that you get transferred to if you press 0 when you call him. If he is on vacation or overseas, wouldnt they check every once in a while for an emergency message? Especially dealing with this kind of medicine? I know they deserve time off, but he could help me with just a phone call. He has called in scrips for me before, it only takes a minute. And why cant pharmacies prescribe a couple in case of emergencies? I know its a "controlled substance" or whatever, but you would think they would do it for someone at least once, as a courtesy (I havent tried this time, I know already they will say no, I ran out once before and tried back then, and they told me no, but luckily my doctor ended up calling one in the next day). Im just so frustrated and mad at my doctor, I may just stick with this new one on Monday forever depending on how it turns out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i have great news. My doctor called me back! I cant believe it, I thought he was out of the country or something. I didnt even ask why he tool so long to call, I was just so happy. He is calling in my script, but the best part is he said there is some new drug that is taken by shot, that he wants to start me on once i taper down to 4 milligrams a day. That way I dont have to go through all this craziness of not having my pills and freaking out. The other good thing that came out of this is I found this forum. I dont know anyone who takes suboxone who i can talk to. At this point in my life, i dont know anyone really who ever was a drug addict who i can tell about the real me (I am still in essence an addict, just addicted to suboxone instead of opiates). Im so glad I found this place

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

MSL2,

Wow, thats so great I was reading through your posts thinking "Oh my god what the hell is she going to do?", I'm so glad that things worked out :D I'm also glad you found this forum it is such a great place, WELCOME! :D

I look forward to getting to know you better :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:37 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you Hancal. This is the first time in four years that Ive talked to someone who knows what Im going through. It's hard to believe sometimes there are others out there taking suboxone and dealing with what I do, Im so glad I have someone who can relate to what Im going through. I really learned my lesson after today, no more taking more than what Im supposed to, no matter how much I need it to sleep. Also, I was ashamed of the fact that I ran out early, so I waited till the last possible minute to call my doctor, when I should have called at least a week before I ran out. I dont ever want to go through this again, I was certain he wasnt going to call me today, Im actually still shocked he did. I was so sure that if he was missing in action wednesday and thursday and this morning, he must be overseas or something for the upcoming Thanksgiving. I am so thankful, I was feeling so horrible.

I need to get off this drug once and for all, I am going to do it slowly and take my time, but I have been clean for 4 years now, my life is completely different, all Im doing is avoiding the inevitable by staying on suboxone. I look forward to going through it with people who understand my situation though, for once. Im grateful for that, thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:02 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

i know how this feels, apparantly my dr has a emergency number but if i was given the number it was when i was in induction a year ago and obviously sick, therefore i probably chucked it wherever and went on with hoping the w/d's would end. anyways, my dr went out of town this summer for a hoilday, i was supposed to have an appt but thank god i called and realized he wasnt there or i would have driven there for nothing. at that point i had 4 left and 6 days to go till i could call and hopefully get someone. i was freaking out, all i had was vistaryl which is high powered benadryl and sleeping pills, i cut myself down big time and it sucked because i was taking 12mg a day up until then. anyways, i get a hold of my dr the last day and he says, "oh if you would have called the emergency number i would have called your perscription in right away"......great i went through all that for nothing adnd on top of that found a sub under my bed two days later that had been there the whole time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:43 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I do not want to sound insensitive, but I think it is something that needs to be said. From what I read it sounds like this has happened before. I understand you wanting to lower your dose, why instead don't you have your doctor write 4 scripts or 2 scripts? My doctor, because of cost & the pharmacy forgot that I had done a partial fill, started writing me scrpits that I could fill every week. That may be a big help to you, that way you will see you only have X amount left & X amount of days before you can get more. Control is a big part of recovery, I know it can be difficult. But once you can control yourself, you'll begin to trust yourself...isn't that a goal too? I do not mean anything harshly, but I know when I spoke with my aunt, who is a recovering crack head, and she said "Pull your head out of your ass girl" it actually helped me, I needed that unflattering, no BS kick in the butt. Again, I do not mean to sound crass, or mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:34 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Lindscn
I was thinking a little on the same lines...not to be mean or rude but sometimes the truth is harsh but needed.

That said, my only thought is when we dose ourselves we are in addict behavior. Period. I work very hard to NOT do that. Even when inducting today on sub i called my dr before hand to say I wanted to start at a lower dose then he prescribed. Just because I don't do that any more. I don't take more than I need and I won't self diagnose. We are addicts. We are all very intuned to our bodies and sometimes pathologically so. I know this has been true for me...even in this detox off my methadone (maintenance at a clinic) to get on sub I was psyching myself out about wd symptoms.

We shouldn't be running out of sub. I am a little surprised that a dr would say "We know this, call the emergency line and I'll call more in". really? I would guess that out of compassion a physician would do that one time. But not more than once. I have patients who run out of bupe and they are now in intensive counseling because of it. They see me 2/week and their sub dr every week. it's addict stuff. It's relapse behavior. It doesn't mean you are in full blown relapse but it is something that to me I would say is a red flag. I would be worried about my sobriety.

So if you aren't sleeping well my thought is to try other things first. exercise, don't eat late, melatonin which is otc and a substance produced in our brains to sleep. I rx melatonin to a lot of my patients as i feel this is a safe alternative rather than benzos or ambien (which is really dangerous....I can tell you more stories about my physician ex who didn't remember operating on it. NO joke)

I mean no offense at all but I think we need to tell each other the truths. it is a life and death situation, our addictions. LIFE AND DEATH! Jails, institutions or death. I have an alcoholic patient who is an attorney say to me "That's bullshit, it isn't that way" Well, yes, it is. And he is def an alcoholic. I am very worried about him. and his wife. he just got out of jail for 7 months for his 2nd dui....and he still doesnt' believe he has a problem. The judge made an example out of him despite the letter I wrote saying he needed to remain in treatment.

This is a support forum and I know it isn't always easy to be honest. I feel for your pain for having w/d. Absolutely and of course I wouldn't want you to go through that. But my thought is take a look and see if there is something you need to be looking at more closely. maybe. maybe not.

I know that I want someone to tell me the truth if they hear me sounding like I'm headed towards trouble. Good for you Lindscn for bringing that up.