It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Please help! Please
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:12 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey I've been using Subutex everyday for about 2 months now. I've been taking from 2mg to 3mg once at night. I started tapering down over a 3 week period but there were a few days I cheated. Anyways, my last Subutex was about 2mg on a Saturday night. Sunday night I started feeling hot/cod flashes and even got some redness to my skin from being so hot. Monday night, the good ol restless leg syndrome kicked in and I didn't sleep ONE minute. Tuesday, during the day and night, my RLS was so bad I wanted to go to urgent care. It's not 12:08am, technechly Wednesday and my RLS is still driving me crazy. I'm running on over 30 hours of no sleep and it's driving me crazy. I'm crying non stop because I just want to sleep. I'm so tired and weak but my legs are all over the place.

Please, does anyone know from the information I've told you if that I have maybe reached my peaking point? When will I be able to sleep. I am literally going insane and just want to chop my legs off.

I'm only 22 years old and I'm a pretty skinny female if any of this information helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:39 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Oh man, RLS sucks. Unfortunately it's ususally (not always) one of the more protracted symptoms. I'm on day 9 jumping off of 2mg. 24 years old, skinny male. So we're about the same. I'm not sick anymore, my attitude is up. I'm generally happy all things considered. But fuck if I can sleep. I get about 45 minutes to 2 hours a night. RLS is a bastard. I notice if I take a potassium supplement and a magnesium supplement before I go to bed it will be less severe. It's still there, and I still cant sleep, but it's not driving me insane.

The average peak is around the 5th day, but mine came before that. But like I said, the RLS can last beyond the peak.

If you end up going to ER cause it's driving you mad they will probably give you a little fill of klonopin or valium (muscle relaxers) and you could follow up with a doc if you needed more. But you can get addicted to those so watch out. RLS is way stronger than any over the counter sleep aids, so don't try to Tylenol PM out'. RLS will win and you'll just feel like crap AND have leg spasms.

I'm with you 100% on this. I've broken down into tears and punched the wall because I just want to pass out and not wake up to find I've only been asleep 10 minutes. But, based on my experience, I'd say your age divided by the relatively short time you've been using bueprenorphine, I think you'll pull through it quicker than most.

If I can add any advice that has honestly helped me more than anything, and this is difficult, but... That moment where you are angry, and you're shaking your legs, and you're tired, and you can't move, and you just want to sleep... Just get out of bed. Accept it's not your time to sleep yet. You'll feel a lot better not laying there still, fighting your own mind and your legs. Watch some TV, eat some cereal, and take the hottest bath you can stand (epsom salts help), then kick back and wait for sleepiness to kick in again. Personally I have a glass of wine (not doctor recommended).

Stay on the message board and follow up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:37 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

you wont feel like doing it but exercise helps immensly with RLS. I have been off subs for about a month and now know that RLS is the only symptom that will hang around for awhile(but will get better each day after week 1, atleast in my case). Ride your bike when you feel a bit better with your other symptoms. once you get going on the bike you will feel much better, especially on a nice day. If you can take a nice dose clonondine at night, that seems to help me with RLS because it relaxes me. the best way to get rid of it temporarily is moving around. Once I would sit down in my class or on my couch it would start right up. hang in there, it will get better soon for you and you will feel so free.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I went through it for about 20 days and nights, not any fun. I am older though, (you guys might think ancient at one month from being 60). The whole thing was pretty rough for me, but if I can do it you sure the hell can too. The symptoms started to ease at about two weeks but I still have discomfort at 30 days. That said, I told myself I would rather die than be on any narcotic and I'm still here. Clonidine does help. I also followed the Thomas recipe without the valium. You can do it, just hang tough!

Post subject: ya rockblaster
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hi rockblaster. i'm on 12 mgs subs starting 13 months ago from 24 mgs.got down to 8
and went back up to 12,becouse of cravings.ya i'm 52 years up there!
now i dont feel so out of date. may i ask how long you are on subs,and how many mgs?
i just dont no if i'll ever come off this stuff. i think i'm ok on it ,but its running my life.
but better subs than other drugs and booze.thanks johnboy and god bless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Johnboy- My main purpose was to use sub as a detox tool only to come off a ten year 600 pill a month oxy/hydro addiction. I was started at 12 mg and pushed myself down to 1 mg over a two month period. This pissed off my doctor so I fired him and jumped. I don't know why it was so tough but am glad its over. If I had it to do over again (which I won't) I would have tapered off the drugs I was on originally. I know that sub is a blessing for many, just not for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

the hot bath i mean super hot so you can barely stand it helps a lot in the middle of my worst w/d i was taking like 4 a day it must do stuff with your skin which is the largest organ on your body. it would help me sleep. I did take some otc sleep aid like unisom after a week of no sleep and it worked eventually your body will sleep. all your nerves are freaking out now. good luck and proud of you for stopping this wonder drug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey, I must say that RLS could pobably hands down be one of the top 3 worst w/d symptoms, I myself am comming off Suboxone & I am going a few days here and there without taking any medication & then I will take about 2-4mgs, usually befre the worst of the w/d symptoms kick in, needless to say I have not quite gotten to the point of having to endure the pain and torture of RLS, I am trying to or going to try to avoid going through w/d's as best I can, I know its inevitable in my case and I am sure due to the longevity of my opiate use/abuse history I will have a bit of a struggle comming off sub, I wish the best of luck to you on your journey & my advise to you is to stay strong, I deffinetly agree with the above posters about hot baths and trying to not just lay in bed or on the couch as much as your mind and body are craving sleep if it's just not in the cards for you it's just not there- yet... but soon enough it will be. Keep yoursef as mentally occupied as you can, try and keep your mind off the symptoms as hard as that may sound it does work, also I reccomend immoudium ad, it is a huge relief! & taking a multi-vitamin/herbal supplement will help you keep your strength up. I am about the same age as you and pretty small myself & I know that trying to eat something healthy & light isn't always the most appealing as foo doesn't always stay down during the w/d period... please keep us posted of your progress I hope that you find the help & support here on the site and elsewhere in your life :)
Best wishes- Alixia

Post subject: Okay, I'm Confused
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:30 pm 

I think only once has someone posted that they used Requip for RLS. Is there some underlying reason why no one is taking this med that is specifically for RLS? And why haven't our doctors given all Sub patients a script for it just before they jump?

My wife has it all the time, so bad it even travels up her arms. Her doctor said it's the worse case RLS he's ever seen. It runs in her family as her Dad had it, and so on. He drank to numb it and sleep. She takes Tramadol. Any opiate eases the symptoms so I guess that's why it's part of the w/d's.

The main drawback to Requip my wife complained of was within two hours she was nodding off to sleep. Duh???? Doesn't that sound like the perfect prescription to help us through the withdrawals? Unless there is some good reason to NOT take it, I'm asking my doctor for it before I jump off in a couple months from now.

Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:16 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You've got a good point there... now some people have RLS due to the fact that they actually have it all the time rather than just from withdrawling from opiates... now if doctors were to prescripe that to Suboxone paitents taperig off of it I would imagine it would work, although maybe it can only be prescribed for those who have ongoing RLS & perhaps it has to be taken for an extended period of time or even forever? I wonder about this now & I am interested in looking up more information on the medications they have out there for RLS.

Post subject: Google it
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:26 pm 

Yes, I'm going to find out as much information as possible to see if it's for me. Hopefully it's not an opiate or has any benzo stuff in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all for you replies... it is much appreciated. As you all know, reading other people's posts truly does help. I'm sorry I haven't been keeping you guys up to date with my whole issue, but don't worry... I'm gonna post in this long post. I'm doing this just in case other short term users want to know what it's like getting off.

So my last night of taking Subutex was Saturday night, 5/7/11. 5/8 I was feeling really hot and cold. 5/9 I felt pretty fine during the day but then when night came, the hot flashes and cold flashes came so I decided to go to bed. When I went to bed, that was the first time I felt the RLS. I knew I wasn't going to sleep because of it so I played video games and watched TV. 5/10 I tried to go to my college class after one full night of not sleeping. I got there but left early because I just didn't feel good and I was heating up. When night time came, it was a little over 30 hours I didn't sleep so I thought I was going insane and I was crying. That's the first night I wrote on this site. After I wrote on this site, and after many hot baths, I lay in bed in the weirdest position around 12:30 at night and I guess I actually fell asleep because When I next woke up, it was 9:30 am. When I woke up, it was 5/11. My legs felt a little restless still but the main thing that tore me apart on 5/11 was depression. Like the most absurd depression where everything seems so dull and feels like nothing is going to get better. I tried to distract myself by going to my significant other's apartment after both of us sleeping at my house the past few days. The day was long and slow, I just wanted it to end so more days could pass so I could feel normal again. When night came RLS was kicking in again and my depression PEAKED! When I say bad, I mean BAD. I tried to distract myself so me and my significant other went to dinner and a movie but we had to leave half way through the movie because my RLS was KILLING me and so was the DEPRESSION! My sister was over that night talking to my mom and they saw how much pain I was in so they both suggested trying pot because they read that it helps RLS and help sleep. I've never smoked pot before because I get panic attacks sometime and I've always been afraid to try pot due to bad trips. My mom even said go ahead and try it, it might help. So I went to my sister's house and took a tiny bong hit. Sure enough, I felt it. And yep, I did trip F*cking balls. It is so hard to explain how I felt but I'm going to try. I felt like I was two people. The high version of myself was sitting on the couch saying i was dreaming or dying. The sober version of myself was looking at me sitting on the couch saying don't worry... you're just high. As bad as a trip I had, I had the best night sleep and I was so focused on how the pot made me feel, my depression and RLS were barely noticeable. So I probably fell asleep around 1 in the morning and woke up at 10:30 in the morning. So now at this point, it is 5/12. The day was pretty slow and I was still very depressed, but I had tiny moments of "normal feel good" feelings. But then depression would hit again. I keep telling myself that I'm not going to stay this depressed forever, it's just the withdrawals and my brain chemistry fixing itself. Nothing seemed to entertain me, I always felt bored. Like I used to be able to play Xbox for hours, not knowing how much time went by, but today I would play and feel agitated and bored of it 2 minutes later. I would then try to watch shows that I normally love, but the same thing happened. I would get agitated and bored of it. So I just turned everything off and walked around my house and smoke hookah. Hookah actually really helped me A LOT. I've never smoked a ciggarate before so hookah probably effects me more than most, but hey... it worked. I took tons of hot baths like you guys said. They do work, they make the RLS barley noticeable. I actually feel asleep in the bathtub for maybe 30 minutes once... which was nice. So overall I'd say today was the best day out of all of them so far, but the depression still hurts and the sleeping is still a little rough but do-able.

By the way, for anyone going through RLS reading this. This minty lotion seemed to help me a little. It's called Spa Reflection: Energizing Leg Cream.

I will keep you guys updated on this rough journey of mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rule62, one of the worst rebound effects of Tramadol is RLS! I don't know how often she takes it, but it def could be causing the problem. I had RLS in my arms when I got off tram.