It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am on suboxone 16mg a day and have been for 3 years. I am out of medication tomorrow. (I have two pills left). I see my dr once a month for a 30 day RX. My doctor thinks I am not due for a refill until March 28th. I went to the pharmacy and the pharmacist said based on the number of pills she has dispensed to me over the last few months shows that I am right and I should be out of medication tomorrow.

I am tired of being down to the wire not knowing if I have enough medication and think this is a great time to quit. I have two pills left. SHould I take a 1/2 a pill over the next 4 days? I am not sure what the 1/2 life is.
I am out of town on business and do not want to get sick or anything being 1200 miles from home.

Am I going to get ill? Any advice on what to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:45 pm 
I can definitely say in my opinion, 2 pills is not enough too ween off of 3 years of use. Cant you get the pharmacist too communicate with your doctor? To me, that would sound like your best option. I really would be very cautious about weening off of 3years with only 2 pills. That couldnt possibly be safe. These are only my opinions. Im gonna read more of your post and respond again. My memory is terrible. I seem to have forgotten some of what i read lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

When you say, not safe what do you mean? I wonder if I should fly home a day early. I am far from home and really scared I am going to get sick.
Two pharmacists at Walgreens said they went over my record and that I am due for a refill tomorrow, not a week from now. My MD says that she is right and me and the two pharmacist are wrong.

I just do not know what to do an am so worried that I am really going to get sick or be in pain. Thanks

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:42 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

So, if you see your doctor once a month and you're on 16 MG that would mean you get sixty a month. Get the pharmacist to call the doctor's office or just go up there showing when you filled your script, it's simple math. Keep us posted on how things go! Everything should go fine, he just can't deny you.

There is no way you'll be able to ween of 3 years worth of suboxone use with three pills. That is something that has to be monitored very closely by the doctor and something the patient has to be ready for. Suboxone can take a few months to ween off of...You'll be very sick if you do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First....trust me...you will become SICK within 2-3 days if you stop the suboxone cold turkey at this level. Taking 2-3 pills over a few days is NOT enough to wean you off, but it will get you farther. How far from home are you? Why did you go this far without a refill or making sure you would have it? NOW is NOT a good time to quit in my opinion.

So...going home early wouldn't seem to change anything because if she isn't going to prescribe then she isn't going to regardless of where you are. If she gives you a script every 28 or 30 days, then this shouldn't be hard for her to figure out. Why do you think she is having this confusion? Has your dose changed at all in the past 3 months? Did you go in early or late any month? It seems like she should just be able to look at the last visit in order to figure out how many she gave you, what the script is, and when you should run out.

Get the pharmacy to fax your doctor the records. See if one of them won't call and talk to the doctor for you. It could be the docs records are wrong but all that matters is what the pharmacy GAVE you. So I would get on it in terms of working with her and her staff to get your refill tomorrow.

Plan B is to keep you from getting ill. If you have taken your dose today, then skip all doses tomorrow. That is totally doable and it will bug you but it can be done without any withdrawals. That gets you one more day. Then, the next day I would take 1 pill but split it into 2 doses, one for morning and one evening. Next day same thing. That will get you 3 days and gives you 3 days to work with your doc on it.

Another option you have is to go to the ER if needed and have the pharmacy send them the records. An ER can prescribe 3 days worth of sub for withdrawal without the classes I believe, but you will have to shop around online at the suboxone and/or DEA site to find that. They will probably want to be able to look it up. If they can see your records, then they may be willing to do it. It is worth a shot at least.

I don't know what else to tell you. When was your next appointment with her scheduled for? How did you end up out of town at a time when you should have had an appointment for your sub? I am a little confused here.

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The pharmacist called the doctor's office. The doctor's office will not even call me back. The pharmacist called me and told me she was sorry and the doctor insisits that she is correct in the numbers. I always go to the MD around the 17th. I am worried since I am a plane ride away from home.

I honestly have no choice but to go without medication. Worst case scenerio I can fly home a day early and go to an ER if I get too sick. I am really scared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I already saw the doctor this month. I saw her last Thursday. I did not notice until I went to Walgreens on Sunday that the prescription said "do not fill untill March 28th."
I had a business trip planned for Mon- Wed. So I just saw my doctor a few days ago. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Are you taking them as prescribed? Do you see your doctor more than once per month? Does she do a pill count when you go in? If you saw her last Thursday and she gave you a script, and it says don't fill until the 28th, and the pharmacy filled it anyways, and you are out, then you didn't take them properly it sounds to me or you wouldn't be out. How much was the last script for? The one that said don't fill till the 28th? And is that script filled or just sitting there waiting to be filled?

You have to have some idea how this happened or why the doc is thinking this way.

You say you have to go without pills but you also say you are just a plane ride away. I am totally confused. You can go to the ER where you are at. You don't have to be home to do that. More details please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I saw my MD on 1/19/2010, 2/18/2010, 3/18/2010.
The last prescription was filled on 2/19/2010 for 30 days- which would put me due on March 21st.

The RX that that I rc'd on March 18th is at the pharmacy. The pharmacist could not fill it b/c the RX said "do not fill until March 28th" that is the whole problem. I did not already go through the prescription from last week, it is waiting at the pharmacy.

I do not know what is confussing about being out of town. I have a professional career and on a business trip. I do not have any family or friends where I am. I do not want to be admitted to a hospital in a strange town, nor do I want to fly home sick or in pain. On top of that its not like I am here on vacation, I have meetings and work to do.

I have to get back home, I have people who count on me (kids, spouse, boss) I honestly have done nothing to mess up my medication. I am an honest person, hold down a highly professional career, do not drink, never seen or done a drug, take every required urine test the MD requires and have never failed,.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I didn't mean to sound like I was accusing you of anything. I speak quite plainly especially when I am trying to figure someting out. Is your doctor a B*$%#?

I had this happen to me once and my doc was a jerk. He decided to let me have 6 weeks worth but gave me 4 weeks and said call the insurance to see if they will be ok with it. They were so he was to call in another 2 weeks script. I had to call about 4 times and battle with him over it and then he finally did and they said it would be ready in 30 minutes at the pharmacy. I went down there and they said he told them they couldn't fill it till the next day. I had to call him and argue via the receptionist because he was WRONG. He "thought" he had given me extras previously but he hadn't.

So like I said before. You have a few options, none of which you like, but you only have so many choices.

I would definitely call the doc AND fax her. Does she have a receptionist? Get the pharmacy records that show dates and doses on them. (Does your doctor think you already filled the script for the 28th? If that is what I thought the way it was explained then she could too and maybe she thinks you want a whole NEW script...just a thought). I would take a picture of a calendar month for Jan, Feb, and March. I would write on there the days you saw her, corresponding with the script amount, and write on the calendar for each day "2", "2", "2" showing you took 2 each day and then write the totals at the end of each week. I would SHOW her. Do not give up. I would leave her a voice message and be nice but ask she look at your fax and listen to the whole message because you NEED her right now and you are sorry for bothering her but this is serious. Just tell her you are SURE there is a misunderstanding and you wouldn't be going to all this trouble to show her the facts if the facts didn't exist.

Tell her you will have no choice but to leave early from your trip which will impact your job (who cares if that is true or not at this point) and that you will have to go to the ER in order to ensure you don't go through withdrawal. I would say "doctor..I understand that you probably get people who lie to you on a regular basis or who try to manipulate you but I am NOT and I need your help right now. I feel like I deserve to be heard and be allowed to show you the data I have from the pharmacy. We MUST be getting crossed in our communications because I have gone over the pharmacy information multiple times, as have they. Please let me note I do not need a NEW script. I have one at the pharmacy but they cannot fill it because it says not till the 28th. Our appointments are always on the 17th or 18th so it doesn't make sense to me that it says it can't be filled until the 28th. I don't know if the pharmacy misread it or what happened but here is my pharmacy phone number and I would appreciate it if you would talk with them if you don't believe me".

If that doesn't work, try talking with the Receptionist. Does your doc have an after hours phone for emergencies? Call that line and bug her then.

If that doesn't work, you wouldn't really have to get "admitted" to the ER to get the sub. You could just go there with the pharmacy records and explain the situation. They will probably call your doc for you and get it all worked out.

Since you don't want to go into withdrawal where you are at, and I still don't know how long you are supposed to be out of town, I suggest you map out when you will need to change your flight so you leave at the last possible moment.

I am sorry your doc is being a pain. Like I said...I have been through it and she isn't treating you with any respect. If you have never had problems with the sub then you don't deserve this. If she leaves you high and dry I would file a complaint. She is to "do no harm". Treating you like this is unacceptable.

I changed my doc eventually and I can now e-mail mine. In fact I e-mailed this morning and told her I took a few extra subs for my pain condition and needed to move up my appointment. She was cheery as could be, changed the appointment, and thanked me for writing. Get a new doctor when you can.

Keep us posted. Again..I didn't mean to offend. I just couldn't keep all the information straight and knew something was missing.

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It is my opinion that at this point it really doesn't matter how this situation has occurred - you need to deal with the cards you are holding at this point. Which is what I think you are asking. I think that your best shot here is to ration the remaining Suboxone so it either gets you until the refill date or at least gets you home. That is going to mean taking a smaller fraction of your dose - perhaps 4 mg rather than 16 mg. While it may not be pleasant, it should at least help you to make it through. As for being admitted to the ED or something, Suboxone or opiate withdrawal in general is not dangerous. It will not kill you. You may feel like crap but you are not in danger. The poster that made that statement is not correct. Withdrawal from alcohol and benzodiazepines (like valium, atavan, etc.) is very dangerous and can harm or kill you but withdrawal from opiates cannot. So you can at least relax on that account. Following what Jack Crack suggested as far as doses or just dropping to around 4mg should allow you to attend your meetings and make it back home. You may also want to just try holding out for as long as you can and then take 4 mg or perhaps even 2 mg when you just can't stand it anymore. Just do whatever you can to make the amount of Suboxone that you have last for as long as you can.

Once you have made it through all of this, it is then time to figure out what went wrong. If indeed this doctor screwed up, she needs to know in no uncertain terms what she did to you and how inappropriate it is. Perhaps you can even tell her now that you'll be glad to work out whatever you need to work out but that you are out of town and need to get this dealt with.

I hope that's at least some amount of help for you. Let us know how this works out for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:32 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I don't know what your travel schedule is or anything but I'd recommend just going to your doctors office and have a quick face to face...It seems to me that this is just a simple misunderstanding that can be solved.

Everyone is effected by withdrawal differently...What I do know if you're working, traveling, going to meetings then its going to be very hard to work with the W/D's you will experience. You could maybe wait to take it as long as you possible can then take a half just so you don't experience FULL withdrawal.

Also, just a question but you said you've never taken a drug before in your life yet you're on suboxone...Are you on it for a previous opiate addiction or on it for pain?

Best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:23 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

one more thing... try and clear your head with all the extra bullshit. You are doing GREAT in your recovery, have a career and family. Stay focused on that and use your knowledge of the medication you are taking to get you through. The halflife is long. very long. If you need to cut your dose by 2-4 mg a day to get you through, you will be OK. also make sure you are getting maximum absorbtion of every single dose! Be proud of yourself and try not to get wrapped up in the back and forth with the pharmacy and dcotor until you get back from your trip. You will NOT wind up in the ER.... Keep us posted!

MW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't agree that 2mg for 4 days will work. I also don't think 4 mg per day will work. It is EASIER to just skip a whole day if you need to go 4 days before you get home. This is just my personal experience with it. If I was on business, I would work with the doc and the pharmacy to get the confusion straightened out.

In my opinion, cutting down to 2mg per day WILL put you into withdrawals based on your current dose. You might be able to get away with 6mg but I doubt it. The withdrawal wouldn't be severe for one day of it but if you go several like that then it will be pretty bad.

The problem is you may have 4 days till flight home but still 6 days until the refill. You will have to straighten this out with the doc one way or the other and in my opinion, might as well keep trying on day one since you will still be trying on day 5 anyways. OR....just get it somewhere else.

Cherie

Post subject: First try nto RELAX
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:46 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi elaine1,
The first thing I would suggest is try to relax a little.... I know this is easier said than done But, If you get all worked up they way you are it will not help your situation! I also think don has the best idea. I feel you should try to make the pills you have last as long as you can. If you can stretch them out at 2 mgs. per dose fine or if you need the 4 mgs then take that But spread it out as far as you can... Because I don't think you and your Dr. will get this straightened over the phone before you get Back ??? Once you get HOME and get the other Rx filled then get together with the Dr. and try to figure out what happened so it won't happen again. The other thing that I have done (I am on the same dose 16mgs.) is try to stockpile some meds for a time like this. This would mean not taking your meds as directed at some point and putting that pill away for an emergency like this... Over time I have built up a supply of about 10 pills for a " Rainy Day" in case I have the same issue that you are goiung thru...
This is not an easy thing you are going thru But, you will get thru.... Anyways whatever you choose to do the next few days I wish you LUCK and please keep us posted as to you success..

God Bless
TW

Post subject: You all ar great!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello. Thanks so much for all your replies. I am going to try and stay on my trip and see how it goes.

I am on the sub b/c I get these tumors that grow on this nerve and its really painful. I cannot live on the opiods, but also went through a few miscarriages and infertlity and the really liked how the opiods made me feel better and happier.

I am probably ready to come off or on a lower dose, as the tumors have not come back in a while.

I am going to try and go today with out any medication. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks so much for you help. XOXOXOXO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Elaine,

What happened? Did you suffer any W/D's? Did you have to go home early or did you end up making it through with what you had....Please give us an update! We all felt your pain and were very concerned.