It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello! I need some info on discontinuing my suboxone and replacing with hydrocodone. I originally started taking subutex for pain management for 29 days (4mg a day) then I switched to suboxone for 9 more days (4mg a day) and my last dose was yesterday at 12pm. I started actual pain management yesterday and my new doctor told me to stop the suboxone and gave me a prescription for 3 10mg hydrocodone a day. (I have rhumetoid arthritis, lupus, and scleroderma) I really need the pain relief ASAP and was wondering how long I should wait to start the hydrocodone. My doctor told me to start the day after my last dose of suboxone but I've heard from everyone else that it won't do me any good that soon?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'd just start taking it as normal, when your doc says too. If you have the script, and you plan on taking it as prescribed, there is no harm in starting the next day. Or you could just wait until you feel crappy enough, when the sub wears off.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for your help! I do plan on taking it how it is prescribed. My doctor just didnt seem very knowledgable on suboxone. I actually wanted my pain to be managed indefinitely using suboxone and he said no because he just knew nothing about it. He said to start taking the hydrocodone the day after I stopped the suboxone but my understanding of the whole half life deal, is that I still have half of yesterday's dose in my system and I wouldn't even notice if I took the hydro...

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, the half life can effect how long it takes for the hydro to work for you. I would just wait til your in withdrawals and then take it. That would insure the hydro wouldn't be wasted!

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My thinking was that it usually takes more meds to ease withdrawals, rather than when you take one on an even playing field. You know how you can take one daily dose of something and be fine? But if you take that same dose when in withdrawals, it barely does anything? I would think if you were to keep a steady dose of hydrocodone in your system following sub, you may not "feel" it, but it should keep you from ever feeling shitty. JMHO. :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

tinydancer wrote:
My thinking was that it usually takes more meds to ease withdrawals, rather than when you take one on an even playing field. You know how you can take one daily dose of something and be fine? But if you take that same dose when in withdrawals, it barely does anything? I would think if you were to keep a steady dose of hydrocodone in your system following sub, you may not "feel" it, but it should keep you from ever feeling shitty. JMHO. :D

I completely agree with you here Tiny. It would take care of that nasty feeling without giving off that certain feeling. I based my response on it seeming the issue was really wanting to "feel it" this time and end the cycle of pain right away! It's all good! :D

Karen xoxo