It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:25 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello, I have a question about how I should be taking my suboxone. I know I should be asking my doc this but he is zero help (I need to switch to a better doc but just have not done it yet) My doctor gives me 4 8mg pills per day. He has me taking 1 pill 4 times a day. I have been on suboxone for over a year now. I never planned on being on it this long but I figured the suboxone was better and cheaper for me then taking 30-40 norco/loros or other hydros I could get my hands on.

I only took the 4 8mg a day like he wants me to do for about the first week. I now take half of a 8mg pill 3 times a day. So in on day I am doing 12mgs aday instead of the 32mgs my doc gives me. After I found this site and read how Dr. Junig said to take just one dose in the morning and dont take anymore the rest of the day I tried it out. So I was taking 12mgs in the morning to see how I felt the rest of the day. I can make it the whole day but I get so damn depressed like half way through the day. I dont really get WDs I just get really depressed and in a bad mood, But if I take more suboxone im fine for the rest of the day. I have tried to not think about it and keep busy to see if it goes away,but no luck. It stays till i take more suboxone.

Im just so stressed out. I have zero intrest in doing hydros anymore. I just want to know if the depression im feeling is from the WDs or if its just me? Sorry about the ramble. If any of this makes sense..... any imput would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey anuffsanuff, I'm glad you posted your question.

The reason Dr. J says to only dose once a day is to help break the habit of taking pills multiple times a day and the habit of "treating ourselves" when we feel bad. It's a response/reward cycle: you feel crappy, take a pill, feel better, repeat. It reinforces addictive behavior.

That said, I had permission from my doc to dose twice a day. He preferred once, but it didn't really work for me. I tried to avoid reinforcing any addictive behavior by timing my doses. In other words, I wouldn't wait until I felt crappy before I took my second dose, I'd just take it at the scheduled time. If I started to feel crappy before my scheduled dose, I'd wait it out. After a while things went smoother, not so many hills and valleys, and I was able to decrease my afternoon dose.

Nowadays I take such a tiny dose it's not worth splitting it, and I make it thru the day pretty well.

So I hope that helps you somewhat. There's always an "ideal way" to do something, but it doesn't necessarily work for everyone. Just as long as you and your doctor are on the same page and you're being honest and open with your doctor about how you take your medication you should be fine.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

32mg is a very high dose after a year of maintenance.I commend you for dropping down to 12mg a day, but if you have seen my post on how suboxone stays in the system for 37 hours before it gets to half the amount, it would probably help you to understand that what you are experiencing with the depression is most likely something you need to be treated for seperately.While Suboxone does help the mood, taking it in split doses over once a day is not really going to have an effect on your mood.
I agree with the fact that it is psychosomatic- what your brain is used to after taking pills throughout the day during active addiction. The stress of looking for more or running out may have caused a trigger in your brain and you just don't feel ok unless you are putting Suboxone in your system throughout the day.
It is basically your decision, and your doctor's.I think you are doing great regardless.
Are you involved in any counseling or support? It is very important!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am very new to this site but I have been taking Subutex for over a year and I find that taking my dose works much better twice a day for a couple of reasons - one physiological and one I believe psychological. First, I probably should mention that as a member of Kaiser, they only use Suboxone for the purpose of detoxing and not for maintenance purposes. So, first I went through a two week detox from a morphine addiction using the tiny 2mg suboxone pills. Since I was already in a state of withdrawal having had my last morphine injection days before, immediately upon leaving Kaiser the first day I went straight to their pharmacy and took the first 2mg pill - I couldn't believe that such a tiny pill could work as well as it did. I then followed the directions I had been given for the rest of the detox - tapering down with each dose. Though their two week protocol worked amazingly well, when the Suboxone was finished I became depressed almost immediately and wanted more Suboxone. I feared that a relapse was inevitable for me without it. So, at the advice of someone I met at a Kaiser group meeting, I found a private doctor who agreed to put me on Suboxone maintenance. Though he started me off at 4mg a day, it turned out to be inadequate and it was increased to 8mg a day which worked fairly well. The only problem was that I was experiencing headaches and was tired all of the time and occasionally I would still get the crushing leg pains that had been the worse part of the withdrawal from Morphine. So, I asked to be switched to Subutex and since I have had no history of IV opiate use, my kind doctor agreed to this. I would much rather pay more money for the Subutex as for me at least it worked 100% better. No more terrible artificial flavoring and coloring and immediately gone were the headaches, leg pains, and listless feelings. In fact, in switching to Subutex, I actually became energized by the medication. My doctor also agreed to let me split it into two doses. That is the psychological part as I just could not face waiting 24 hours for my next dose. Maybe that sounds like addictive behavior and maybe it is but it works well for me and I intend to stay on this indefinitely. I would like to lower my dose eventually to 4mg since at this dose there are times occasionally when I forget my morning dose and take the entire 8mg in the evening. This gives me a high that I find a little too pleasant for my own good and should probably avoid. Thanks for listening.