It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

how does suboxone effect health like wiegt gain and testosterone ect. compared with methadone...ive been on methadone for twenty years....ive come off methadone a couple of times and have been reducing at 1mg/day for 30days.....will be swaping to suboxone in two days as an inpatient in a detox ward..im not sure if this is the best decision.....im at 30mg methadone now.........in 1999 i was first person in adlelaide australia to swap from methadone to buprenorphine...back then i came down to 10mg methadone and swaped over...they gave me an 8mg tab only 24 hours after last methadone dose and i was real sick for a few days and then it leveled out.....it was so long ago i cant realy remember how i felt....i came off bup very fast without to many probs as i can recall........please let me know if suboxone is a healthier choice as i will saty on it for a while untill my system is over methadone then i want to quickly reduce...there is no longer any herion worth taking in australia especilly adeliade....when i was first using in cabramatta sydney 1991 the herion was an average 60-90% pure as there was a flood of herion from southeast asia ..herion now is lucky to be 10-20%......i havent used for ten years so i dont think rushing off matinence will send me back to using in a hurry also there is no longer much of a black market in oxycodone or morphine anymore here...it helps when there are less temptations.....i geuss im not sure if i should just keep going down off methadone or if suboxone will be easier and healthier.......i have high blood preasure problems that is now stable on irbesarten....cronic pain issuse...lowish testosterone issues....major depression and anxiety issues and a little over weight....i have given up smoking ciggs/pot, benzos, alcohol for just over one year.....wanting to get healthy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

just wanted to add i was first person on public system in adeiade to try buprenorphine not first person...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I remember reading an article years ago about testosterone suppression by opioid agonists. The article said that buprenorphine suppressed testosterone levels by about half as much as methadone. But as I think back, I don't remember if the comments came from a scientific study or rather were someone's opinion, based on the partial agonist effects of buprenorphine.

The main differences between methadone and buprenorphine in the US are the regulations. But those aren't the only differences; the chemicals have different properties as well. The ceiling effect of buprenorphine results in a very constant degree of activity at the mu receptor. That constancy allows for near-perfect tolerance, i.e. people don't feel anything from the medication.

Methadone, on the other hand, has a peak and trough blood level. The peak occurs around 4-6 hours after dosing, and for most people is about twice as high as the trough level, which occurs at the time of the next dose. Methadone is an agonist, i.e. receptor activation varies with dose. So mu receptors are stimulated to a greater degree during peak blood levels, and lesser degree at other times. Patients therefore feel opioid effects-- maybe minor effects in most people-- when blood levels are higher than the person's tolerance... and mild withdrawal when blood levels are lower than the tolerance level.

I suspect some people are reassured by that bit of opioid effect, and others probably don't like it... but some patients who don't do well on buprenorphine do better on methadone, and vice versa. BOTH medications are much, much safer than active addiction.