It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:05 pm 

Hey givemehope :) to answer ur question a few posts ago...no I'm not tapering and I'm so content and blessed just being on this medication that where I'm at in my life I kinda plan on being on this for a long time or until I'm 100% ready. Didn't u say u were going to be going bk on subs after ur baby is born? If so I think that is a wise choice if that's how u feel. Especially with ur new baby, u def wanna be on top of ur game cause we all know how babies require us 100% lol. The reason I'm posting is u said u had considered deleting ur posts that u felt were negative and then changed ur mind and will probably leave it. Gilr I say leave em. U were real and honest. And that is what really connected me to ur posts. Seeing someone like u having the stress and feelings like I have (minus the pregnancy lol) is very refreshing to read. Even though ur having a hard time some with the taper i respect u for what ur doing and I'd much rather hear all of it, even the dark about to scream days also lol. I'm always glad to hear how ur doing. Have a wonderful day!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:40 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Jenn, you rock. Seriously. It's equally as refreshing for me to hear of someone else who feels the way I do with all the life stressors. Don't get me wrong, it's also helpful for someone to say "It's really not as bad as you make it to be. It's all in your head. Blah blah" but as I had said earlier, validation is a wonderful thing! It's good to know I'm not alone.
I'm with you about staying on sub long term. As soon as this baby is born, I'm DEFINITELY going right back on it! (Then (x) years down the road I'll be crying about not getting off sooner, lol) however, I know I can't trust myself otherwise. I choose to look at it like any other medication people need to function properly.
In the meantime, it's about time to kick it for a few months. For the past week I've been taking the small half of each pill. Next I'm going to to drop it to a (large) quarter. But I'm only giving myself till the end of November. (Hoping to get it cleared from umbilical blood) I'm 25 weeks now and the 3rd trimester is not a great time to jump. Going to the doctor on Monday to get whatever comfort meds he'll ever-so-graciously award me.
I hope everyone is doing well today.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm thinking about throwing in the towel on this fight. It will break everyone's heart, piss them off, and it may damn near kill my mother (again), and that sucks. But I don't know if I can give up this last milligram. I feel it's the only thing keeping me halfway sane.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:30 pm 

Hey Givemehope! What's going on? I really feel for ur situation. I understand why u feel u have to get off sub for ur pregnancy and not wanting to get in trouble or whatever it is they do when that happens. But ur an addict, and ur already helping ur baby by doing the sub and not full opiates. IMO u are doing exactly what u have to. And at an incredibly low dose at that. U had said once about seeing a phyc dr. Maybe if u tell him exactly what ur doing he could help cause he'd see ur doing what u have to do to give this baby and urself a better life. The way I see it, u aren't doing anything wrong. U were on pills, I need subs probably for life. I'd say u do too. So it sucks u have to force urself to stop subs when I know ur doing what's best for u. There has to be a way to make these doctors understand. I really am pulling for u and ur in my prayers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:50 am 

I would like to add this to what Jennjenn said: Why the heck does everyone including your mother have to know about your personal medical business? Who is going to rat you out if you are still on .5mg??? You deserve privacy and support, not people questioning your intentions! Do you know that a lot of women on the medication have to increase their dose of buprenorphine because their blood level grows with the pregnancy. In order to have the same concentration of bupe in their blood during pregnancy, it's necessary to take more. Does everyone who is stressing you out recognize that your level of stress affects your baby too? At this point people who want to be helpful should be bringing you yummy, nutritious food and soothing, caffeine-free beverages! I'm sorry, but I'm just disturbed by the fact that everyone feels entitled to heap their expectations on your head!

A very pissed off,
Amy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:02 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

GiveMeHope wrote:
I'm thinking about throwing in the towel on this fight. It will break everyone's heart, piss them off, and it may damn near kill my mother (again), and that sucks. But I don't know if I can give up this last milligram. I feel it's the only thing keeping me halfway sane.

GiveMeHope,
I have been in your shoes, more than once, and am currently in them again, for the very last time (I planned this pregnancy, and my last one, while on suboxone maintenance). I'm gonna give you the shortest history possible, and I hope that we can help/support one another, as we're both going thru the same thing! I've been on suboxone for 10 years, I began in September2004. I found out I was pregnant 2 months after beginning treatment, and back then, they told me it was taper off or methadone, NO doctor would prescribe me any more soboxone during pregnancy. Well at the time, since my husband also took it, I tapered SLOWLY, and was completely off by 32 weeks (but I lied and told docs I was off at 16 weeks, else they were going to make me go to the methadone clinic). I suffered thru the last 8 weeks of pregnancy MISERABLE, but proud of myself, and wanted to go back on suboxone right after birth. But back then (July2005), doctors all said NO breastfeeding on bupe, so I nursed my daughter as long as I could hold out, & 6 weeks later, started taking suboxone I got from my hubby again and quit bfeeding.
I spent majority of the next 7 years on suboxone (I eventually got on them legally) and the 2-3 times I quit taking them, I ALWAYS used, and got right back on them and decided I want them long-term. For me, they help with my anxiety/depression, mood stabilization, and pain, among other things, and I'm just a better person with the subs.
I got remarried in 2011 and really wanted more kids, and I got pregnant in 2012 with my son. I initially told me ob that I was on them (legally) and even though my sub doctors told me I should stay on them, I decided to come off them. My ob docs literally never asked about them, and I got down to like 0.5mg, but agonized for the last several weeks, b/c every time I tried to jump (like I did successfully in 2005), I failed! I figured that 7-8 years made me too physically and psychologically dependent (which Dr J says is actually not the case with long term users- it was likely all psychological). Long story short, I did not tell the hospital I was taking subutex (less than 0.5mg daily) even though my psychiatrist was legally prescribing them. I was so scared of them being completely ignorant and automatically sending my son to a bigger hospital or putting him in the nicu. (I'd had more than a few bad experiences over the years, docs in my small town know nothing about suboxone/subutex, and treating me like an addict and incompetent parent). My son was perfect & healthy and nursed like a champ (I'd done endless research that all validated nursing on subutex was safe, and was advised by my prescribing psychiatrist that it was safe). I watched him like a hawk and every cry or sneeze made me nervous, but he was the happiest little guy, and we were in the hospital 3 days, seen at home by a visiting nurse on day 4, and at the pediatrician on day 5, and he was perfect, NO NAS!
Now, 2 years later, I wanted a sibling for my son, one last baby to complete our family. I decided I would actually taper off completely this time, slowwwlllly! I'm currently 33weeks & 1 day, and down to 1/3mg (0.333mg) daily. I meant to be off by 28 weeks, then 32 weeks. Now I'm terrified! Sinve going below 0.75mg, I haven't felt good at all. There were withdrawals at each reduction in dose for a few days, & I've been trying to reduce my dose each week, but I feel aweful! My dose "wears off" after 6 hours, I can always tell because my pupils get HUGE and I get sweaty and the pregnancy pain I'm already in skyrockets:( My prescribing doctor leaves it up to me, but says I should stay on it. My ob practice knows very little about it other than its like methadone, and (since they've not ignored it this time) they say my baby needs to stay in the hospital for 5 days to be observed (which terrifies me because I've heard so many horror stories about women who've had babies automatically being medicated and hospitalized for several weeks at small hospitals who haven't dealt with subutex Moms before) unless I come off it completely. My husband would probably leave me and try taking our kids if our baby suffered one moment because of me (he doesn't know anything about bupe- nor does he want to). I know the Doc J's advise, which is to try ONCE to jump, and if you cant, maintenance is your best bet during pregnancy. I'm scared and miserable, but my symptoms are unimaginable when I try to stop. After 12 hours, my muscles are in agony (RLS) & I feel like I could just jump out of my skin & my vision is blurry and I'm sweating bullets and freezing! I tried jumping at 0.5 when I had 2 weeks off, and being at home taking care of my kids was unbearable, the minutes felt like hours, and I never made it more than 18 hours. So I want to try again at 0.25mgs, but since I still feel so bad after a week at 0.33mg, I am scared to go lower. I don't want my baby to suffer, and I try to convince myself that once I get thru the worst of it, its just a few weeks of misery before I have a healthy baby and can resume taking subutex and enjoy life and my family again. I know moving around during the worst days helps, I've read ALL the research and advice on getting thru w/d. But after 10 years of bupe, I feel like I'll never feel ok without it.
So yeah, I know what your going thru, and I can imagine most pregnant Moms on bupe or methadone go thru similar feelings and agonizing decisions. Support helps but ultimately, its a very lonely process, and I'm just glad that this is my last time on the roller coaster- and I plan on being on subutex (while nursing) and suboxone probably for life, and I'm definitely ok with that choice (I wasn't always- addiction counseling helped me alot)- because I now know its given me a second chance at a normal life. Remember this too shall pass, and I hope we can be supportive of one another thru the last weeks of our pregnancies no matter what choices we make.

Jamie B

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't checked in in a while. I haven't made any progress (still at 1 mg), and have just been feeling very "blah".
Amy -- I wish that my family understood. But they don't. If I don't come completely off, then they will keep my baby for a minimum of 5 days for observation after he is born. So I would have to tell them what was going on. Plus, this hospital is ignorant and they medicate pretty much every baby that has been exposed in-utero. That's another big stressor.
Jamie -- I hope that you are doing well and I'm so sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I've discussed my situation with my sub doctor. He said I should just try to come off for now, then resume treatment after birth considering no one knows I'm on it plus the way the hospital handles these situations.
I'm just afraid that even if I can get off of it, the hospital will find it in the meconium and/or cord blood, and put me through hell anyway.
I have four 2 mg pills left and my psych doctor wants me to try to make it my last script till after the birth. I'm terrified. I'm generally unhappy and stresses out with the way my life is right now, and that 1 mg of subutex is sadly the only thing I look forward to. I know that after I take it, much of my stress, pain, and irritability is relieved. So giving that up, plus going through withdrawals while caring for my 21 month old daughter is so incredibly daunting. But as you said, I'm trying to tell myself to just suffer through the last couple of months and know that I can take it again after he's born.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:49 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

GiveMeHope,
How long do you have left until your baby is due? I made it down to 0.5mg, and it took me so long to get used to, I was feeling to horrible to take care of my kids, so I had to discontinue the taper. I made so much progress, (6mg down to 0.5,) but after 2 weeks on 0.5, I still felt AWEFUL. I couldn't handle 0.25mg (I tried) because the w/d symptoms were too much. I attempted dragging out my taper further, taking 0.333mg (1/6th of a 2mg pill) to see if that would help. But after 3 days of suffering at 1/3mg, I decided I'm going to quit tapering, go back up to a comfortable dose, and accept what may come; my kids need a functional Mom and I want to enjoy the remainder of my pregnancy, as its definitely my last one. So I went back up to 0.5mg, and after 3 days of 0.333mg, it felt WONDERFUL. So I've remained at that dose for the last several weeks now. I have to take half of it at 6am & half at 6pm to keep my buprenorphine blood levels as stable as possible, and by splitting the does, I avoid mild w/d symptoms before my next dose.

I understand your fears about the hospital. My hospital is like yours, my Mom is coming in a week before my due date, and she is 100% against suboxone, meds of any kind actually! She knew I used suboxone back in 2004-05 to get off the pills, but she doesn't know I still use it, and she'll be so angry if she finds out. I'm meeting with a pediatrician who works at my hospital who supposedly has experience with subutex babies; I'm hoping he'll understand and keep my subutex use as discreet as possible, even from my family & the nurses, and he'll take on monitoring my baby each day so I don't have to worry about ignorant hospital staff automatically medicating my baby if she has no/or very mild symptoms. My son born in 2012 (I was @ 0.5mg) had NO NAS, but the hospital didn't know about my subutex use (and didn't find out) so I didn't have to worry about them freaking out and medicating him for no reason.

Do you think you sub doctor will just allow you to stabilize at 1mg, or even allow you to go back up to say 1.5mg so that you can feel better? So many babies born at between 2mg-24mg have had NO NAS; unfortunately, I've read 2 cases where babies born to Moms @ 0.5mg subutex were kept and medicated (but its very likely that hospital staff ignorance and biased scoring by judgemental nurses are the reason why these babies were medicated). So it really doesn't matter what dose you're at, and you might be better off quitting the taper and stabilizing, so you can eliminate the extra stress and the rest of your pregnancy. The users in this forum gave me some GREAT advice when I was trying to decide whether to continue tapering or not; I'll post the link to that topic.

Best of luck, I hope either way you decide, things get better for you soon!
Jamie B

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:04 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

low-dose-suboxone-and-pregnancy-t10232.html

The users & admins were a huge encouragement to me in this particular thread and definitely eased my mind and made me feel like stabilizing was best for me and my family at this point:)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Jamielynn -- I'm glad you were able to get stabilized and make the decision to stay there. I know you must be very relieved! It is SO hard to take care of kids when you don't feel good. What are you going to tell your mom as far as why they will be keeping the baby a few extra days for observation?
My sub doctor is willing to let me stay on it, at whatever dose, for the rest of my pregnancy. However, if I do, then I will HAVE to tell everyone that I'm on it. My husband doesn't even know. He thinks I'm on an antidepressant. I REALLY hate having to keep it from everyone, especially him, but they just don't understand and I'm afraid of how they would react. When I was on it with my daughter (from my previous marriage), it destroyed my relationships with my family and I lost their respect. I've just started to regain these things in the last year.
So I'm really in a lose/lose situation. Either way, it will suck. I feel like my best option is to just come off of it this month. That way, I'll be the only one hurting (hopefully). As long as they don't find it anyway, no one else would have to go through the hurt and disappointment of finding out. And I won't have to go through the loss of the trust and support again. I'm 29 weeks now. I'm hoping to be done by week 32.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Any news for you? I hope you're feeling okay! How's baby doing?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:38 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

No progress for me :( I've actually back tracked and have been taking 1.5 - 2 mg per day. I'm so mad at myself. I've been really stressed out lately and the holidays have added to that. However, my new goal is to be off by the end of January. I'm starting my taper again tomorrow. If I succeed, and my baby doesn't come early, that would give me the month of February clean. I'll update as I go. Remmus, your success really gave me motivation to do this. Thank you!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Don't even worry about it! I didn't stop completely until 37 weeks after taking .125mg one last time on week 37. Take it really slow, and if you can't get off, well, take it as it comes. I'm pretty sure I was still using 2mg at your point (not quite sure how far along you are), and I did NOT think I could stop. I really didn't. If you can't get off, then trust yourself. Trust that this is how it's supposed to be for you. That's how I got through it when tapering each time. I just said "I'm just gonna try and go lower, and if it's too hard, then I'm gonna stay where I'm at. I always gave myself that leeway, and ended up staying on longer than I planned to, but ultimately it made it so much easier than I thought it would be. If you are too uncomfortable, then just wait til you are ready.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:53 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I wish that I had somebody to hold my sub for me and force me to stuck to a strict taper schedule. I've had a lot of progress and set-backs both during all this. However, I've just don't been doing good at all these last couple weeks. Maybe it's pregnancy hormones, but I've been having the WORST mood swings lately. I'll be fine one minute, then one little minuscule thing will just completely set me off into a fit of anger and anxiety. After it subsides, I'm left feeling drained, tearful, and depressed.
Like today, I woke up feeling positive and only took .5 mg, fully intending on NOT going above 1.5 mg today since I've been taking 2 mg lately. Then bam! I got a phone call that pissed me off and my little girl was giving me a hard time. That was all it took. I immediately took a full 2 mg right then and there. So here I sit, so mad and disappointed with myself. I really hope I can shake this, buck up, and get it done.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I bought a little vitamin separator thing, and put the amount I would take in it for each day. I then put that where I keep my suboxone bottle (right near my bed), and put the suboxone bottle in an out of the way drawer that wasn't super easy to just reach into. I split my doses near the end, so I would put like .5 & .5 in each day or .25 & .25 once I got to that point. It helped me to have it all planned out for the week, rather than just ripping pieces off the strips.

Sometimes, I took more. I would dip into the next days dose, but you just can't beat yourself up. Just try your best, and if you can't do it one day, take .25 more. Try to get sleep, drink lots of water, find a show you get into, and watch a bunch of episodes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:44 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

GiveMeHope wrote:
Jamielynn -- I'm glad you were able to get stabilized and make the decision to stay there. I know you must be very relieved! It is SO hard to take care of kids when you don't feel good. What are you going to tell your mom as far as why they will be keeping the baby a few extra days for observation?
My sub doctor is willing to let me stay on it, at whatever dose, for the rest of my pregnancy. However, if I do, then I will HAVE to tell everyone that I'm on it. My husband doesn't even know. He thinks I'm on an antidepressant. I REALLY hate having to keep it from everyone, especially him, but they just don't understand and I'm afraid of how they would react. When I was on it with my daughter (from my previous marriage), it destroyed my relationships with my family and I lost their respect. I've just started to regain these things in the last year.
So I'm really in a lose/lose situation. Either way, it will suck. I feel like my best option is to just come off of it this month. That way, I'll be the only one hurting (hopefully). As long as they don't find it anyway, no one else would have to go through the hurt and disappointment of finding out. And I won't have to go through the loss of the trust and support again. I'm 29 weeks now. I'm hoping to be done by week 32.

GiveMeHope,
I'm relieved to not feel horrible anymore, I spend the last 8 weeks feeling good but the anxiety has been overwhelming. My husband doesn't know about subutex, he's overseas but will be home a few days after my due date. So if baby ends up staying in the hospital, I know he'll NEVER forgive me. And as far as what to tell my Mom, I just hope the hospital staff doesn't say anything to her and I can get thru the birth without her knowing. Then she'll be home with my other kids and I can deal with the pediatrician and hospital staff myself. The anxiety is absolutely devastating to me, I'm just trying to get thru it and praying for a good outcome. At 0.5mg, I feel like my chances for having my baby medicated are small, but ignorant hospital staff is still a huge concern for me. I was gonna make an appt to talk to the NICU staff, but I got too nervous and kept procrastinating and making excuses. I'm due Thursday, so baby will be here any day. I will post again to let you know how it goes:)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

First off - sorry for the long post! I just started rambling so here we go. Givemehope, I hope you don't mind. Lol

I really feel for both of you with your family not knowing. I feel the same way about my family too. Luckily, I won't be on it at birth, but if they still drug test my little guy's meconium or cord then I will have to explain to them that I WAS taking suboxone, when they think I have been clean for so long.

To me, using suboxone IS being CLEAN! They don't realize that you do not get "high" from taking suboxone. When my mom has talked about it before, she said "Well people still buy it off the street, so it's still a drug." I explained to her that people who buy it are trying to stop withdrawals, or straight up trying to just get off opiates themselves using it. She doesn't understand. Nobody does - so they will still think I'm a bad person for being on it. I mean they think I haven't taken anything in years and years. I just hope I can try to keep in confidential. It's just my mom is very involved with this pregnancy, and will be in the room when I give birth. I am so grateful for her being there, and helping me out at delivery. My boyfriend is amazing, but he works a lot, and has only come to a few of my Dr appts. My mom has been to every single appt with me, and pretty much done everything in preparation with me (bought everything, painted them room in my house, brings me anything I need, watches my dog for me so he get's adequate exercise).

One thing that is frustrating is that she had to tell my Dr that I used to use drugs. I think it's like her worst fear that I could start using again. She told him because when she gave birth to my younger sister, they put her on some opiate medication because she couldn't have an epidural (she has scoliosis) and she asked if there's any way they would give me opiates, and she doesn't want that. The Dr basically told her that they do use them sometimes, and not to rule out using them if I am in a lot of pain and stuff before they use the epidural. I had no idea they do that! But now I am worried because he gave me my medical records and it says "high risk - other - used opiate pain medication in past" and now what if they are super adamant about drug testing and testing the meconium and stuff??? I am fine with not having any opiates during the birth or even after if I tear or something, but my mom worrying about it scares me. IF she finds out that I was on suboxone (because CPS talks to me), is she going to be less trusting of me? She already acts like she worries sometimes, even after years of being clean after, and if she knows I had suboxone to help the whole time, I feel that it's like taking a step back in how far my family and I have come. I have absolutely no desire to use opiates again. I would NEVER put myself, let alone my new child, through the hell of that. I never want to feel dependant to that again. It's hard to convey that to someone else. Nobody is in your brain, and can ever understand that I didn't quit just to please my family. I quit because I don't want to go through that pain each day.

I guess if they come talk to me, I will simply tell them that I would like them to speak privately with me, and not include my mother in the conversation. I just know she will be with me every second, and it could be awkward trying to explain to her what they came for. Do you guys think CPS will even come if I and the baby are clean at birth? If they just talked to me after it would be fine, but at the hospital I don't know how to avoid my mom hearing. Babygirl6412 just said that she asked the OB to keep it confidential, so luckily her family didn't know.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just wanted to check in with you! See how you're doing. I had my baby 9 days ago! (Posted about it on my thread). I hope everything is going okay with you!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have read through your posts and feel so much for you ladies. I just wish I could give each of you big hugs. I am due at the end of March and also on Subutex. I will be induced the week of March 16 due to gestational diabetes. Even though I have the support of family and husband, I still worry about so much so I can't imagine doing without the support of loved ones. I hope you are finding support here. I would love to hear how you all are doing. I truly believe you are doing what is best for your little one.

Hang in there,
Stephanie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I've made no progress at all. Stuck at 2 mg. everyday I tell myself to take less, and I don't. Instead I torture myself with worry over the inevitable of everyone finding out when my little one is born. It was so much easier to get off of it with my first pregnancy. But now that I have a very demanding 22 month old, a needy husband, and his 2 kids half the week, I'm having a horrible time. What's worse, I know that when my baby is born, I'll hate myself with a passion if I haven't successfully made it off. Sorry I'm such a Debbie downer. I hate being an addict. And a weak one at that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next