It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:16 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi everyone it's been a while... I wanted to know opinions or experiences with Actavis generic Subutex? I was on HiTech Generic which worked really well. My dose is 2ng.. Walgreens switched to Activis and I hate it. First off it taste horrible and takes forever to dissolve.. I could deal with that but I feel it's not working. In the high tech brand I inly needed 1.5 mg to keep me feeling normal and no wd. I've taken the full 2mg of Actavis and my nose is runny, my pain (which the hi tech version helped ease) is not being touched at all... I just feel like I've not taken anything and almost feel like I'm in WD.
I called the pharmacy and they were jerks honestly.. They acted like I was crazy. I asked about the high tech brand they said they can only order the Roxanne brand or the Actavis.
Does anyone have an opinion on the Roxanne generic?
I hate when these companies do this!
They did this with my Paxil and I got so sick.. I know for sure that not all generics are alike and feel with such a specialty medication like Subs they can't mess around with doses and fillers etc .. I don't know my body may be sensetive.
So basically Roxanne vs Actavis or search pharmacies for High tech if they even make it:(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:39 pm 

Hey Csinny,
Funny how different people react to these meds. My guess is that the Hi Tech brand has had so many complaints that some stores and pharmacys are discontinuing them.
Ive heard plenty of complaints that this smaller little pill didnt work very well. Ive never been on any of these myself.

Only thing I can suggest is it is possible your rate of bioability has dropped by swollowed medicine or you may not be spreading this new medication effectively enough inside the entire mouth for a loug enough period of time.

Try painting your mouth with the melted pill and hold it in your mouth louger Csinny...just my 2 cents ....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thank you for the reply.. Can you tell me how long you suggest keeping it in your mouth? You're right maybe I'm not keeping it in long enough.. The old medication dissolved quick so I didn't need to keep it in as long. ty

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:46 pm 

At this point I would say as long as possible. Experiment with it. See if it makes a difference if you have it in a half hour as opposed to 15 minutes. I know it can be hard to not be able to talk for that long, but it might be worth it. Some folks also have some success with swishing with a high alcohol content mouthwash before they dose. Good Luck and it's nice to hear from you! :)

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:45 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Ty Amy :D So basically I'm not getting the full dose of I'm not absorbing it all? I just really don't like this Actavis brand but I guess I'm stuck for now. :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Csinny

This is kinda off topic but I was wondering why you take subutex vs suboxone? I am considering asking to try subutex because I have really bad anxiety. I went off the films because of insurance no longer paying and went on zubsolv. I like the zub but wonder if the naloxone is causing some anxiety.

Just wondering if you had problems and that's why you are on subutex. In my area they don't like writing subutex unless you are pregnant but my doctor said she would let me try it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi .. I had concerns about the Suboxone with my anxiety and depression and my psychiatrist actually was the one who chose Subutex.. I am not on a high dose only 2 mg because my addiction was not as severe in regards to the amount of pills I was taking, it was more the length of time I had been using pills.. I really didn't need the blocker I just need something to help me wean down off of my pills which were prescribed for pain. This doctor is also my psychiatrist so its more than just an addiction / patient doctor, I see him regularly for all my meds. I can only speak for my situation but I know a lot of clinics or rehabs mainly just do Suboxone. I think it's tough because there is no real relationship with the doctor so it's very cookie cutter.. That's how it is where I live at least. Many people I know pretty much got the standard Suboxone treatment and say the doctors spent very little time with them. It sucks because there are so few doctors that rx these meds and it's so vital that there is some sort of personal treatment when it comes to addiction as there are usually other psychological disorders occurring. It's good that your doc is letting you try Subutex, I would.
I can't tell you how I would have responded to Suboxone because I never tried it.. I'm sorry you are having that experience. I get no anxiety from the Subutex.. The first week I had a hard time sleeping but now I'm fine.. My biggest issue is constipation. I feel I have less anxiety on subs actually.. (I'm on a new generic that actually is not working as good but usually I feel less anxiety I should say).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:59 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Roxanne vs Actavis... Anyone try both and have a preference?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:47 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I don't know the name of my generic, it doesn't say anywhere on the bottle or the paperwork with the script...but they are small white pills, come from RiteAid here in the northeast. CVS has a bigger white generic Subutex (Percocet size) I've taken both and they seem the same to me. I just mentioned this in another thread, but my dr told me that the pharmaceutical companies that make generics don't have to make them exactly as strong as the real thing, that they'd just have to be close, could be as much as 20% weaker, or 20% stronger, and that this is legal.

Csinny, why did your doctor think subutex would be better for you? Curious because I didn't feel so great on suboxone, not the films, not the generics.

Ok, just looked up pics of generic subutex....the first one I was on, from cvs drugstores, was the big white pill...it looks like that one was Roxane. It worked for me. The second one, smaller pill, white, from rite aid pharmacy, has an 8 on one side, and is scored on the other with an "arrow". Not sure what company this one is from. But I like them both as far as effectiveness goes. The smaller dissolves much faster too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This is the first post I have read where the Hi Tech brand is preferred. My experience with the 2mg Hi Tech pill has not been good. I've experienced many adverse effects with Hi Tech. I recently filed a report at the FDA Medwatch site, for Hi Tech buprenorphine.

Here is my original post: http://www.suboxforum.com/one-week-taking-tech-generic-subutex-t7538.html#p102475

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just as an experiment, you could try getting a pill crusher and crush the pills, then put the powder under your tongue. This will increase the surface area which should in theory increase absorption.

They used to do this in the clinics in Australia to prevent people from spitting out their Subutex and injecting it later. I noticed a difference in how much I absorbed when they did this.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:51 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey TeeJay--
I think that crushing the Subutex with a pill crusher in order to increase the surface area is a great idea! Scientifically, it makes a lot of sense. I take 1/2 of an 8 mg generic Subutex (Mylan) twice a day, and I notice that when less than 50% of the pill is left under my tongue, that I often end up swallowing it by accident. And you're not supposed to swallow it, right? Doesn't that decrease the bioavailability?

"Knowledge is power"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:23 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I recently switched from 2mg Suboxone strips (dose is 6mg a day) to the 8mg actavis generic Subutex pills. They worked fine for me but are a pain in the ass to get in 3mg doses. I even bought 2 pill cutters but the things just disintegrate! I'm on my last 2 days and basically have a bottle of crumbs. I may try crushing them this round but what do I do with the other dose??

On a side note, I feel like changing generic brands on a customer without warning is dangerous. I've been lucky to never have any serious ill effects but have definitely noticed differences in a few.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:29 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I found this to be very interesting! I don't know if 6-10% could make an overall difference but at small doses, I'm betting it could!

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6730194

Q: Do generics have to have the same recipe, effect, side effects? A: "The generics have to have the number of milligrams of drug that is included on the label in the pills. You can take it to the bank that that does not vary. In addition, the pill needs to get you within 10 percent above or below the blood concentrations achieved with the brand for the FDA to approve the generic, and in reality, they only usually vary by 3-4 percent in one direction or another. So yes, they are very similar in terms of the active ingredient. It is possible that one generic will get you a 3 percent lower concentration than the brand and another can get you a concentration that is 3 percent above the brand and therefore the two generics can be 6% different from each other. Most people will never notice a difference.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

gossamerwings wrote:
Hey TeeJay--
I think that crushing the Subutex with a pill crusher in order to increase the surface area is a great idea! Scientifically, it makes a lot of sense. I take 1/2 of an 8 mg generic Subutex (Mylan) twice a day, and I notice that when less than 50% of the pill is left under my tongue, that I often end up swallowing it by accident. And you're not supposed to swallow it, right? Doesn't that decrease the bioavailability?

Yep... Swallowing is not good. I try to keep it under my tongue and in my mouth for as long as possible. Sometimes I leave the subliva in my mouth for 30 minutes or more, if I've got nothing else I need to be doing. But yeah, once it's swallowed it's absorbed a lot less. That being said, it's still advised to swallow and not spit it out, because you still do absorb SOME of the buprenorphine in the stomach and intestines.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:40 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

. I asked for the generic Roxanne brand which seemed to absorb better. They are definitely not all equal