It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:52 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

My addictionist put my on Suboxone yesterday. It was a film, the package is an 8/2. The pharmacist told me I might want to only do half, but the doc didn't say that so I just did the whole thing.

About an hour after taking it, I became manic, could not stop talking.. Had the feelings like being on opiates. Then I started having extreme cold sweats and went pale. The nausea started after that, and then I started throwing up. It was like an extremely bad high. It has now been 24 hours since I took it, and I am still in bed. I have had three doses of zofran, not throwing up anymore, but slightly nausous. I was hardly able to talk last night, my speech was very slow and I was incoherent. I am scared to take this med again.

I am on it because I have been experiencing major cravings for opiates. I used to abuse Viocodin and Dilaudid, but am now in a program for health professionals to get them clean and sober. I am a nurse, I cannot currently work. I have not been on any opiates in slightly over 2 months.

Also, once I finally started falling asleep last night, I would wake up about every hour with that opiate itch and then end up dry heaving. I have held down some water and about 20 pieces of dry cheerios today. My head still feels like it is in a cloud, not a good loopy type cloud though, like disgusting and dirty.... if that makes sense.

Has this happened to anyone? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:22 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Wow, sorry you are having symptoms like these. You stated that you haven't been on opiates for 2 months, right? Suboxone is best taken around 24 hours since the last use and when that person is having withdrawal symptoms. I am thinking that may be the problem here. If I misread it and you used a within a few days ago, that does occasionally happen to people. I had a friend that used about the same as much as me which was about 120mg a day of oxycodone and whenever I took suboxone I reacted perfectly fine to the drug but he had similar symptoms to what you mentioned, but not as severe. If you decide to take it again you may want to take half or even a quarter and move up. It'd be a good idea to call your doctor since he knows you much better than a stranger online and is hopefully well educated on suboxone. I hope this helped; I don't have much time but saw this and wanted to respond. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:47 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome to the forum MyheartRN,

Yeah, it sounds like you got way to high of a dose. I'm suprised your doctor started you on that much.....especially since you have not been taking opiates for two months! I think 2mg would have been a much better starting point, or even 1mg. Bupe is a strong medication used in micrograms to treat pain. You got 8 miligrams!

I am also an RN. I was diverting any opiates I could, mainly dilaudid. I did not get caught, my husband found my needles and vials and I went to detox. I was put on sub there and have been doing very well since. I'm on 4mg daily with no side effects. I've been on it two years. I still work at the same hospital although I am not working full time any more. I think the stress of that job was one of the reasons I started using. I work on a med surge onc floor. It is tough.....staffing sucks, no secratery, sicker patients etc. But I'm not diverting to get through the day anymore.

Anyway, if you are going to try suboxone again, I would take maybe 1 or 2 mg. Then see how you feel after an hour. You may feel a bit "high" for the first few days but that goes away. You should just feel normal. You have such a low tolerance though, I'm sure you are gonna feel something.

I am really intrested to know more about your decision to start sub. You made it two months with nothing......how were you feeling? Were you completly miserable? That was my fear....that I would feel completly depressed for a long time with no drugs. I quit using methamphetimes when I was younger and spent a year on the couch feeling like shit. Crushing depression. That's why I even agreed to suboxone.

I think you should start feeling better soon. When you can, get some food and fluids in you. Read some posts on here. You will learn a lot about sub! If you decide to go for it start low! Let us know what you decide.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with orange doll, 8 mg is probably much more than you would need having not used opiates in 2 months. I hope you will read up about sub. I'm assuming you know sub is also an opiate however it acts in a much different way. After stabalizing on a certain dose it produces no "high" but helps us feel 'normal' and also blocks other opiates from working... Also I will say, for me it helped so much with the depression from coming off pills.

Hope you feel better soon!

Gb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi MyheartRN,

The vast majority of people getting on Suboxone only have about 24 hours from their last use of pain pills or heroin or whatever, they had been using their drug of choice (pain pills/heroin) for at least a good while and their tolerance was sky high, that's why most of us need 8mg or so to get us started. You basically had no tolerance to opiates and because Suboxone is an opiate, that's why you get the reaction you did, which does sound very close to an OD.

Buprenorphine, the active ingredient in Suboxone, is used to treat pain at doses of 200 mcg (micrograms), you basically took 8000 mcg's of Suboxone for your very first dose. Obviously, that's way too much.

If I were you, I'd cut the strip in half, in half again and in half again to get about 1mg and try again there. 1mg should not "floor" you like the 8mg did.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:54 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I was talking with my addictionist yesterday and yes I have been depressed, and having cravings. The cravings would come when I would see pill bottles, or think about how it felt when I was taking pills or diverting dilaudid.

In June of 2010, I was put on vicodin, xanax, klonopin, and 2 AD's. I had found out that my husband and best friend since childhood had been having a long term affair. I was totally unable to cope with it. I have since been diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder, and PTSD.

When the pills were not working, I started drinking with them. I drank myself into oblivion every night, but had to quit as I was going to be returning to work (I was on maternity leave when I found out about the affair).

Shortly after returning to work, I started diverting dialudid. I did IM injections for about 5 weeks and then went to IV. This lastes a few months before I was caught.

I am in a health professional recovery program. Ironically, guess where I was last night when this 8mg hit me like that? Group therapy. I am sure they didn't believe me that it was a dose of suboxone, but it really was.

I am oh so slowly starting to feel a tad bit better. I have been able to eat more dry cereal, and have now had water and juice. I feel like I would never want to take this medication again, but that feeling is based on what has happened. I know for many, this medication is a life saver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh I'm so sorry that happened to you! Your doctor nailed you with WAY TOO HIGH a dose for you, just like everyone else has said. Your symptoms are textbook of those of someone who is opiate-naive (or nearly) having taken a huge dose of bupe.

When and if you're ready to try again, start out VERY low, maybe 1 mg, like someone else said. Now don't be surprised if you feel a "loopy" or "semi-high" sensation again, but it should be nothing compared to what you went through already. It's normal to feel a bit "oogely" (my own word) for a day or two before you stabilize, and it will subside.

Since you are going on sub "proactively" without any opiates in your system, you'll be basing your dose on your cravings. Try to keep your dose on the low side and find the lowest amount necessary to abate your cravings. For someone in your case it might end up being something like 2 or 3 mg, or even less. I have no idea. Only you will know based on how you feel.

Good luck again and let us know how it goes this time. And again, it really sucks that you had to experience that. I sure don't blame you for being gun shy now! Take care.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:37 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

First of all, whenever taking a new narcotic you always want to start off with a low dose. Without knowing how your body reacts to the drug why would one just jump in full force right away. Be smarter. Taking drugs is like cooking, you can always add more if you need too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Very scary story. I have never experienced this!
I don't think bupe is for you. I'd avoid this drug unless you are seriously hooked on worse opiates.
I hope you received the information you were looking for from the other posters.