It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:39 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I could type a 100 paragraph diatribe about how I got into opiates, but I won't. You've heard it all before. Did a lot of Oxy, tried to use Kratom to keep me off, but found that that was just as addictive and expensive.

Got on Subutex, really put my life back together and really think it has helped me. However, I am ready to stop and attempt a completely drug-free life. I don't 100% subscribe to the idea that stopping this is like a cancer patient stopping their medicine. While it can be destructive as all hell, addiction is not a terminal disease. Or a disease that can't be overcome with serious dedication, humility, understanding, and structure. If that wasn't the case, then Dr. J would be on Subs himself. But he isn't, and he is living proof that a bulletproof constitution and will can overcome this.

Anyways, I have 58 8 milligram pills and nothing but time. I am currently taking 8 milligrams 1 time a day before bed.

What would you suggest I do? I would like to make this as comfortable as possible, but I also am 100% ready for the physical and emotional withdrawal I will be feeling. I will look at that as restorative though. Every other time it's been shameful and horrible because I was quitting illicit drugs. This time it's nothing but positivity and healthy!

If someone could give me a nice tapering regimen I would really appreciate it.

Thank you Dr J. and all a part of this forum. This place is seriously the greatest place on the web for us opiate addicts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:44 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'd like to also include that I have been on Subutex for 5 months.

I do not under any circumstances think I am smarter or better than Subutex, or addiction. In fact, I know how powerful addiction is. If I fail and relapse... I fail and relapse. But I am going to give it my all. The last time I tried to get clean I had absolutely no knowledge of addiction, triggers, patterns, environment etc. I really have a lot of tools and I feel that I have lost the war against drugs. All substances. I stopped drinking too, just to avoid any wormhole a thought rationalizing drug use could slip through.

Thanks everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:57 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I'm tapering and have been successful so far tapering around 20% every four to five days. It's working for me painlessly.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:22 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Swamp66 - Check out the "Liquified Suboxone Taper..." thread that Diary of a Quitter started. She was the first one to use this method that I'm aware of. Since then, others (including myself) have followed her lead with very positive results. It's a lot of reading, but I think it will be more than worth your while to slog through every bit of it. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Best of luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Actually, Dr. J (and many, many people) do and have said that opiate addiction is indeed life-threatening. Depending on how the person views addiction and themselves and what work they've done since starting suboxone, some can come off sub and do really well. It's a matter of being vigilant and prepared to deal with returning cravings and knowing how to handle triggers when they come along - and both of them will come along. There are many taper threads on this forum concerning methods of stopping. The fact that you're ready for the withdrawals, I believe, will help you get through it. Lots of people have posted their stories of stopping and the withdrawals that they've gone through. The key to a successful taper and avoiding as much discomfort as possible is to do a low, slow, long taper. Get as far down as you can before jumping and allow your body to adjust to each dose reduction before doing another. I wish you the very best - I think your positive attitude will help you get through this.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Hey
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That was a really good point you made about Dr. J being in recovery and not being on Sub. I've thought the same thing but didn't want to say it :wink: Obviously, recovery for some people needs to include Suboxone taken forever and for others, it doesn't.

I'm tapering right now and I am pretty scared of w/d. That's what kept me on Sub so long. I was taking 8 mg up until the end of Oct when I decided I'd accept some w/d to be released from the monthly expense and pain of being on this med. I've gone done pretty small amounts and am now at 2.5 with only very minimal symptoms, which has surprised me. I pay close attention to how I feel and never go down until I'm 100% fine on a new dose. The hardest was getting under the 4 mg ceiling, and I've heard so many people say that. So, if it suddenly seems harder around there, don't be shocked and don't freak out because it WILL go away. It's hard to give someone an exact taper plan because everyone is different. Sometimes people take a little longer at a certain dose to adjust and someone else would have no trouble. The basics are just small steps and listening to your body/symptoms. My taper plan has gone 8, 7, 6, 5, 4.25, 4, 3.5, 3, 2.5. So far, I've had no severe symptoms at all. Only annoying ones. It's very doable and there's some cool stuff that may happen to you as you come off it.

laddertipper