It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on Suboxone for 5+ years. For the last few months I was on 2mg/ a day.
I see a pain MD who is not well versed in Suboxone, so I need to take charge of my medical care.
I had my monthly appointment to see my Sub doctor for tomorrow (September 21st) I was going to run out a week before I would of happily seen my doctor before I ran out, but she was booked.
I have been planning to come off the suboxone for many reasons: I travel for my job and getting in to the DR ever month is a hassel, once I was 10 minutes late for an appointment and the office charged me $150!. The staff there is rude and treats me like a second class citizen. They followed my and my kids out once like I was some "unfit mom". Any way sorry for digressing!
I stopped cold turkey last Wednesday. It has been 6 days. Last month I found out my husband was cheating and might end up in a custody battle and cannot have any health issues cause me to not loose my kids. I am a good mom, I don't drink and have never done any drugs not even smoked pot. I have a small tumor on my ear that causes pain-why I am on suboxone. It does not matter why we are on suboxone the banter is more about me freaking out over having withdrawls and that being used against me.
I saw my primary care MD who gave me Vicodin for the PAWS. I am taking one 10mg/325 every 12 hours. Well I did not take one yesterday and had an awful night.

I see my MD tomorrow afternoon. Since I have gone a week without suboxone should I just stay off and continue the medication for the paws? I found a youtube MD in FL who does allow vicoden for PAWs but I do not want to then have withdrawls from Vicoden. I have zero energy and have to fake feeling good at home, so it does not come back to bite me in the butt. HELP. My goal is it be suboxone free, but cannot work full time and parent with withdrawls symptoms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Momto2,

Welcome to the forum!

OK, you're in a bit of a unique situation. Most of us here went from Vicoden (or other pain meds or Heroin) TO Suboxone, not the other way around. Most of us were hopelessly addicted to pain meds and Suboxone was our way out.

You were on Suboxone for 5 years, the last few months at 2mg. That is on the high side to be jumping off of.

Treating your PAWS from Suboxone (Sub is an opiate) with another opiate is kind of dangerous. For an addict, it's a recipe for disaster, but it doesn't sound like you're really an addict.

Anyway, you're taking 20mg of Vicoden daily, what I would do if I were you is cut my daytime dose in half. Do that for a week or so, then cut your night time dose in half. That'll get you down to 10mg/day. From there, you could try cutting your daily dose in half again, then when you're ready, cut you night time dose in half again.

The key to getting off of opiates is to slowly ween yourself off.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:17 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome MOM! I can’t stand the way you were treated as I was treated the same. Was told the same crap….’you can go days-weeks without your suboxone no problem’ yeah freakin right. Let them get on suboxone for months/years and try going that long without. Sorry to rant instead of help but that gets on my last nerve, seems to be a trend. I work with doctors all day and most of them are good people. Guess there’s always exceptions.

Anyway, stay on the forum. There is good peoples on here. They helped me out like you wouldn’t believe!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I think I might start a very low dose of suboxone after I see my dr tomorrow. But it seems like a waste of a week of being off- although I have been on vicoden which helped. I am just so down and feel so awful and tired. I am going to get in trouble w my job if I cannot pull it together. I have an executive level position and feel like I have to perform.
Any comments on what you would do? I stopped sub 2mg cold turkey last Wednesday. I have been managing withdrawal symptoms with codeine, but that only helps a little. I do not want to prolong withdrawal with vicodin then have vicodin withdrawals. I have been on this drug 5 years and there is always a reason to not stop ( friends lost 2 kids in a car accident, miscarriages, infertility, back to work full time, found out husband is cheating. Its always something isn't it.). My doctor I even considered a friend and told her about my husband ( this was in the last visit) and she still did not call in RX for me just for 6 days.
So if you muscled through a week off suboxone e (but kind of cheated with vicoden- btw even a week off the euphoria from the drug is still blocked at a week). What would you do?
Many thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey there mom. I would likewise be warry of the vicodin. That drug got me rolling with pain meds, to worse or better ones, however you want to look at it. Weening off is the only way. Don't take enough to get rid of PAWS entirely!! Take bare minimum and keep taking less till theres a step down. You don't want to go down pain med road, its worse then suboxone road!!

I'm on day 6 of my drastic taper and I'm proud I can do it and I know you can too!! Takes so much motivation and desire, its rediculous!! A clear idea of what will be like helps me. Exercise deffinately helps as well. Getting out of the house!! Motrin, vitamin b drinks, pepto bismal and some sort of an herbal sleeping aid. Staying as busy as you can and having only the good thoughts, like a broken record!!! Use everything you can to push through. I know it will be worth it. Sucks now, but will be worth it!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If you go to suboxone dr, get the 2 mg films on ween yourself!! Get a pill thing thats for a week. Stay on losest dose to maintain for that week. Next week use a 25% reduction. Next week again with the reduction. When you get low enough, ust take it in am. Then start skipping days.

A slow reduction makes it possable!! Don't jump, too hard on yourself, get the levels low enough to step down. If I had time thats what I would do, but everyones different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Mom, unfortunately you will have to withdrawal either way the cookie crumbles. Most people will tell you to taper and I still believe its probably the best way if you have the willpower. I will say that I just jumped 9 days ago from 12mgs per day and I’m doing very well. I have a thread posted if you’re interested. Everyday get better but for me the turning point was right around day 9 lol today.

Since you asked ‘what would you do’ well I would jump now. The way I see it if your on day 6 you only have another 2-4 crappy days left. Just my opinion.

I don’t wanna get into what way is best and ultimately it comes down to the person.

My big question would be are you able to cope with the pain that you had prior to suboxone treatment? What I mean is you will need to go through wd but putting that aside are you in the right position to not take anything for your legitimint pain?