It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

**i cannot deal with anymore guilt as I know I am an addict who needs help right away - I am asking for advice for the next RIGHT step to get back onto SUBUTEX*** I do not need anything else right now as I have gone over the options repeatedly and do not plan on going to methadone unless it's absolutely necessary ...

Saying that, I am very loving to my daughter whom I was clean with and after- I didn't use drugs until I was done breastfeeding at 15 months . What a damn nightmare it has been.
I went to rehab. I have done it all.
I recently relapsed after being clean 17 months and it was the worst timing of all. I discovered I'm pregnant - about 14 weeks!!!!!!!!!! I never had regular periods and was on the pill- how the f could this happen NOW!! God must want me to get straight and so do I!

My issue is this:::
I need to know how long I need to wait to take subutex;
I have tried and failed miserably about 3 times now- I did not wait 24 hours for FEAR of withdrawal making me miscarry -!!! How long does a pregnant woman have to be in withdrawal before it kills the fetus? I imagine more than 24 hours but not much more-
I cannot begin to describe the regret and desire to quit right now!
I am a heroin addict. I used to be a healthy person , vegan etx.
Yes it started with pain pills and a neck injury. Look how the cookie crumbles.

Please someone tell me- and if I wait say 16-24 hours ( I feel like crap about 12 in, terribly so, and must do something at that point usually) would I be ok? This is if I taper my h usage FIRST WHICH I KNOW IS A MUST IN ORDER TO MAKE IT TO 16-24 hours!! I know this because of previous experience when I only used one bag a day maybe 3 days a week. Even 7 days a week if it was one bag I was ok the next day on sub.

I hate the fact I am online doing this but I cannot for the life of me find anything else online and am terrified to tell the doctor as CPS WILL get involved and I am going to make the switch regardless , by next week- Friday is the day I planned.

Please do not be cruel. Please let me know what anyone else has done.
I will see the baby Thursday for the first real time... I pray it is ok.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hello momma,

I've been taking bupe for six months and have four children. my opioid addiction didn't begin until after my children were born also. I completely understand the shame and guilt associated with this disease. please know that you will NOT be judged here and no one will be cruel to you here. we are all addicts, sick, in recovery and we do understand and feel for you. Many women who are pregnant and addicted do not seek treatment for fear of judgement or retaliation from law enforcement or cps. this wouldn't be acceptable in any other field of medicine. it's inexcusable. so your seeking treatment is courageous and admirable!

so welcome to our forum, and please continue to ask questions and get answers and support here. this place is a haven for many addicts who need to be able to talk to real people with addictions, who understand what we are going through.

I didn't induct from a heroin addiction, however I think if you use the COWS scale, which is the clinical opiate withdrawal scale, that you can access from this forum, to rate your withdrawal symptoms to assure you are in adequate withdrawal before starting the bupe, you should have a smoother induction. Once you reach a certain score on this scale, it is usually considered safe to induct. It's also a good idea to have someone else if possible to score you on this scale, as it is very difficult to objectively score one's self while in WD and needing relief. also wanted to let you know that, yes withdrawal can be dangerous for a fetus, but it doesn't mean certain fetal demise after a specified length of time in WD. while you do need to be in significant WD before beginning the sub, there are some things you can try to do to lessen the risks to your baby. keeping yourself as hydrated as possible is very important, as dehydration poses a great risk to the baby, as can heightened bp, and lack of sleep. That's why it is so important to begin taking the bupe as soon as safely possible without precipitating withdrawal. When inducted properly, you should begin to feel much better in an hour or so. that was my experience anyway, and after a week or so and one dose increase,i was back to feeling completely normal, as if I'd never been addicted at all. might I also recommend some sort of therapy to go along with taking your meds, whether it be group, individual or meetings. I've found my therapy to be a very important and necessary part of my treatment. not all have found it necessary, but it's helpful to me to help deal with some of my guilt and shame issues associated with my behavior during my active addiction. I'm sure others will be along with more support and advice for you momma, and possibly a link directly to the COWS SCALE. I wanted to add that you are to be commended for doing the right thing for you and your baby by treating your addiction with a very safe medication that can save both of your lives, so take it easy on yourself and know that you're doing the right thing. I wish all the best for you, your baby, and your recovery :-)

the link to the COWS scale I was referring to can be found in the first topic under the induction section of this forum, in the very first post.

Lizzie

Last edited by lizzieshug2013 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you. I am terrified and feel since it's now the second trimester I can safely be in wd for a short short period of time .
I am inducting Saturday- my husband is going to help. He is understanding but obviously upset. It's my birthday so wish me luck. I feel there's no other option really. I hope it doesn't take a whole week to feel better but I will post here daily to document my switch maybe it will help others.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

SMomma

I just want to say welcome to the forum & there will be no judgement from me! Things happen but you are doing the best thing for yourself & family by treating your addiction.

You should really be under a doctors care & be honest with your OB because in NY they test every baby for drugs, including bup but if they know you are in "treatment" they don't get all crazy & call CPS.

Did you find out the gender of the baby on the ultra-sound?

Make sure the w/d's are at least moderate before taking sub & you & the baby should be fine.

Em

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

No I find out what the baby's gender is in 4 weeks- I'm 15 weeks along .
My ultrasound went great Thursday - all body parts and strong heart beat and spine !
What a relief !
It has given me purpose to do this and I am switching tomorrow.
God bless

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hello scared momma, I hope you are doing ok, and was just wondering how did your ultrasound go Thursday? could you please give us an update when you get a chance. thinking about ya! :-) hoping all is well.

Lizzie

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I tried and took the sub too soon! That was terrible.
I'm trying again tomorrow & every day this week I am determined to make the right choice and be a better mother ! I have never thought I would be like this.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I did it!
I feel tired but I did it :)
On to a healthy pregnancy .

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry that I'm just getting around to responding to your post now momma. Way to go! I'm so happy it went well and your on your way to a healthy pregnancy and beautiful new baby in a few months! great news, thanks for the update, and please continue to let us know how you're doing, or just ask questions, or vent or whatever :-). that's what we're here for!