It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am now 18 days clean and currently in a 30 day program at the VA hospital. Prior to that I have lost the last 10 years of my life because of my addiction to opiates. I have went from having a very good life, to having absolutely nothing. But, I'm fighting my way back now, and this is just the beginning.

I would like to thank all you folks that post here, and wish all of you good luck in your battle. God Bless each and everyone of you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Congratulations on getting Clean lonelyabuser!

I hope you'll stick around and share your experiences with Suboxone with the members here.

Wishing you all the best in your treatment.

Darken

Post subject: Welcome Welcome
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:09 pm 

lonelyabuser,

You found the right place to discuss addiction and recovery. Most of us here use Suboxone, Methadone, or have stopped all of them and are living completely free of opiates. I hope to be one of those someday.

Can you tell us some more about yourself? Are you prescribed Suboxone or Methadone? Pull up a chair and join the discussion. All are welcome here.

Rule

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for welcoming me.

Rule, I just started this 30 day program at the VA on Wed and they did prescribe me suboxone. I haven't completely committed to taking it yet, simply because I'm not sure I want to start another pill that makes me have withdraw symptoms, if I don't take it. Had it been available for me to take when I guit the opiates 3 weeks ago, I definitely would've taken it, to help with the withdraw from the pain pills.

Tough decision to make, there are days I feel like I need it, and others I don't feel I do, so right now I'm just trying to go without taking suboxone. I want to be free from having to take anything, and I know I can do it.

Post subject: Deciding not to
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:04 pm 

I totally agree with what you are doing. Three weeks free of opiates is a big step forward and I too would be hesitant of going on Suboxone and then have to deal with withdrawal again. You and Caligirl are in the same position but are choosing different paths. If you can manage to not take the Suboxone and work on your recovery, you will be so much further ahead in getting to the spot you need to be.

Opiates are so damn hard to get off of and that's why I'm glad they came out with Suboxone. I really don't think I could have walked away cold turkey on the amount I was taking, unless of course I went to jail, and that was becoming something I might have had to face. Constantly driving intoxicated that I could have killed someone or myself.

Other than the V.A., what do they suggest for a recovery program? I've seen a lot of success with alcoholics via the V.A. in the past. I hope they are up to date on opiates, giving you Suboxone sounds like they are on the right path.

Let us know how you're doing as it goes along.

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So far the VA seems to be a great program. Lots of group sessions and one on one with a psychiatrist and case manager. It's a pretty intensive program for substance abuse of any kind. I'm also hitting some NA meetings which help also. I'll be honest though, even though I've been an addict for over a decade, this is the first program for me. So I don't have anything to compare it to.

So far so good though, and I'm not looking back. I'm almost 50 years old and never imagined I'd lose everything that I worked so hard to get in my life. But I can't change the past, and can only move forward. I do appreciate the conversation from you, it definitely helps to talk to others that understand what it's like. Hope all is well with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

lonelyabuser - If you can do it without sub, that is great! But if you find that your cravings are just too much, maybe a really low dose of sub would help. Even 1mg or .5mg might do the trick since you are already clean. There is also the Butrans patch that you could look into, which delivers the buprenorphine in very small doses; micrograms, I believe. That way, it shouldn't be as hard to taper off eventually. And I think it should be easier to taper off subs since we are not getting high from them like we were from our doc. Just a few things I though you might want to consider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank for the response Taurus. I haven't completely ruled out sub yet, because I know things can change quickly. But so far so good. Hope it stays that way.