It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:46 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I've been on Suboxone since 2003. It saved my life in many ways and ruined it in others.

I started on Subs in a hospitalized detox from Actiq. I started with drugs because of chronic pain. My doctors have settled on fibromyailga although I don't think they really know. The only thing they'll say with any conviction is they don't really understand pain. I was on Vicodan, percodan, Methadone, pain cocktails, Oxycontin and finally fentanyl. My life has been ruled by pain since 1993. Its relentless.

Through all those meds I never felt addicted. It was easy to go from one to the next without issues. Even coming off Actiq was easy. With the Subutex I didn't feel a thing. It was only when they started to wean me off the Sub that I realized I didn't have a solution to the pain, that the whole reason for the drugs would be back with no way to control it if they took me off the drug. That was 10 years ago. I tried weaning myself off it, never made it below 5mg. I didn't think I was having withdrawal so much as I was having a return to the pain that the Suboxone was helping mask.

Last month my doctor told me about a study at Stanford on low dose Naltraxone for fibro that was really promising. Only problem was I needed to be off all narcotics for 10 days before it would work.

Now the pain is getting much worse, Suboxone isn't helping and I'm getting desperate. Reading posts on this forum are scaring the crap out of me even more. It feels like the doctors don't know how to get off suboxone. I think an inpatient detox is the way to go. So I'm writing to you all to find out what you think. If there's a good, reliable inpatient program you know of I'd like to hear about it. Or if you have any other ideas please chime in too.

Thanks so much for being here:

Ria57

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:31 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

welcome, I don't know much about the treatment you are talking about. I have read some who went it to detox programs to get off subutex. more will chime in, here is something someone posted to me once.......... Hey dirtyblonde,

I can relate to a lot of what you are going through. I spent over a year trapped in the cycle of tapering my subs and going back out to use the moment I felt too bad/depressed. This cycle kept going, tapering, using, tapering, using. I was able to finally taper off with ease because I gave my meds to my father for dispensal. But within a couple months I found myself back out using oxy. And then back to subs for another 2 years. I finally got off this past June after entering rehab. Some of the things that have kept me off for this long are the following: I couldn't handle the cravings when I first came off; it's a physiological response that is just extremely hard to overcome as you well know. To help me stay off in this early phase I decided to get the vivitrol shot. It blocks my opiate receptors for a month and takes away all cravings. It's expensive but if you have good insurance I highly highly highly recommend it. Also, I have been going to meetings and working a good program which is helping me change myself for the better. Good luck with your taper! I hope you can get through with minimal WD. But if your anything like me, you will likely have to do some real work to stay off this time. Take care

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum - seems mad saying that as I'm only recently joined myself. :D

I can't help you with the inpatient program but I am very interested in the study. My wife suffers with fibromyalgia so any information would be gratefully received.

I'm sure someone more clevererer will be along soon who can help!