It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:13 am 
Well, I 'm sure sorry things didn't go more smoothly for you. I hope you're doing okay today and I hope the procedure ends up having been worth everything you had to go through.
Let us know how you're doing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks guys...I so appreciate the support. I didn't get much sleep last night. I actually woke up just after 2 am from the pain. It's not unbearable though, thankfully. But my incision was clean yesterday and I woke up to it bleeding. And the pain is now a little different, so I just hope I didn't pull a stitch or something. They're subcutaneous with steri-strips on top and a clear bandage over it.

When it comes to my doctor, the more I think about it the more pissed off I get. I guess as a drug addict - recovering or not - I don't have a right to pain control. At least according to my doctor. Again, if that nurse hadn't been there I would've been shit out of luck. But I'll go for my 2 week follow up and keep seeing her until I find a new urologist closer to home.

On the plus side, I'm already seeing positive results! That's the very best part and that alone makes it all worth it.

PS. ReRaise and Setmefree - love the new avatars!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:50 am 
I'm sorry for your pain and the lack of compassion you received. just wanted you to know there's another person out here who cares. Despite what you've been through you still sound very positive and in a healing mode. If you feel up to it read Dr. Junig's last blog post about pain management doses. Maybe you'll want to just ditch the 5/500's and opt to go back on Sub. I'm sending you healing thoughts.
Lilly

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks, Lilly. I was wondering which of Dr. J's posts you're referring to. I couldn't find anything in his blog - I went back to November '09. Maybe you could give me a link.

I'll only be on the vicodin for a couple days - I'm really looking forward to getting back on the suboxone. I just don't feel like myself, in fact I feel pretty crappy. So there's another good lesson in all of this. I'm pretty sure had I not tapered down that I'd have withdrawals on this low of a dose. So that's good, too.

So all things considered it could be a lot worse right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:11 pm 
Sorry I sent you on a wild goose chase. It's actually in the current post on high dose buprenorphine and toxicity - in the second paragraph.
Also, I started a thread under miscellaneous about how I felt going off sub for a few days. After what you have been through the last 2 weeks maybe you would have something to add to that. (When you're feeling up to it)
Take care,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

wow hat im so glad to see you posted on hear today. that shows you are a strong person 1 and 2 the operation must of went well cause you are able to post so the pain cant be as bad as it could be. Yea that whole dr thing also made my pretty upset when reading about that. and it sucks that she couldnt be honest with you when you asked her if she was thinking if you were dope seeking like you said. cause honestly if she told you that you were gonna need pain meds this time around then all the sudden changes her mind is a lil odd in my opion. u know if you werent on suboxone u would prolly of been on IV pain meds preopp cause of your low pain tolerance. def once your feeling better look for a better dr u said urologist i think should be a few around you the only thing that stinks with them like shit drs lol take a while tobe able to see i hear.

any who glad to see u posted and hope tomm is a better day.

Post subject: Little Late Here
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:37 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hatmaker510 - Hey there - I'm a little late here but I wanted to wish you well post surgery. It's nice knowing you can take the Vics for pain and then switch right back to your Suboxone to protect your recovery. Too many times in the program I watched people have surgery and take pain killers and end up relapsing. Suboxone is a great tool isn't it?? I feel blessed to have found Suboxone. SuperBuper

Last edited by SuperBuper on Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ok, enough is enough. I don't like how I've been feeling on the vic's. Like all of a sudden I went back in time 18 months and was chasing a high again. And there's no freakin' way I want to be back there again. I'm just glad all they did was help with the pain and didn't get me high in the least. Having a taste of that again is the last thing I need. This experience only strengthens my resolve to stay clean. Funny how that happened.

So no more vicodin - I'm going back on the suboxone today. I'm going to give it some more time before I re-induct, but I wasn't on the pain meds long enough to have to wait for withdrawals. I haven't taken any since last night and don't intend to.
My pain is bearable by now, so I'm not worried about not being able to deal with the pain. It is what it is and I'm sure I can handle it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:48 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome back Mel!!!

I've been following your progress, and I must say that you did amazingly well in my opinion.

You planned for the surgery, opened up about it to your doc (who is obviously not caring too much), etc...

WAY TO GO!

I totally understand your feeling of 'going back on suboxone' rather than chasing the ole tolerance crap.

I am so proud of you. You have been in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for sharing this with us, so that if any of us face this in the future we have an idea of what to expect.

I hope things improve and I'm sure they will. Hang in there - you are a great example to me.

All the best! --LD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello friends,

I've been successfully re-inducted! I waited about 16 hours from my last vicodin before taking my regular 8 mg dose. Although I feared precipitated withdrawals, it's clear those fears were unreasonable and purely emotional. I knew in my head that logically it was extremely unlikely. And sure enough, I had ZERO problems re-starting the subs. And damn it if I don't feel SO much better. :D I just felt wonky over the last couple days, not quite right. Now I feel more stabilized, if that makes sense. My pain is still there, but tolerable, and my body is healing quickly. My fibro pain is slowly minimizing as well. I'm honestly surprised that I feel this good only 2 days post-op. I mean, it was never major surgery, but it was invasive nonetheless. I'm just so glad it's all over with. And like I said earlier, the procedure is already doing what it was intended to do, which is really the most important thing.

I know I haven't told you guys what I had done - and honestly I'm not quite sure why. Maybe it felt a bit personal, but after having discussed the whole situation with you guys, I can't imagine not talking about it. You are my friends, after all. Anyway, in simple terms, I had a sacral-nerve stimulator implanted. It's like a pacemaker for my bladder. It's to treat my symptoms of interstitial cystitis/over-active bladder. And it's WORKING!

Thank you all for practically going through this with me. I honestly think if I hadn't shared this with you I wouldn't have been able to handle it as well as I did. Normally I'm not one to open up so easily, but having known most of you for about a year, it just feels natural now. That says more about you all than it does about me. You are all wonderfully supportive and empathetic people and I think we're all lucky to have each other. OK - enough mush already! You guys know what I'm getting at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

wow im so proud of you mel and you should be of yourself as well. i got to say you are a very strong minded person and very bright. i dont know if i could of done what you did by switching back to suboxone so quick but glad to see you are able to take care of your pain with sub so the procedure must of really went well for you and overall that what we all hoped 4 u. i can relate with you on over active bladder ive had a cysto and im on vesilcare and desmopressin for it. and know that its very tough to beat OB but im glad to see you did.

great job
Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I thought I'd make one last follow-up post. I've been back on the suboxone for 24 hours and I feel just great. Not great as in high, just great as in normal and happy. And so glad to have jumped off that vicodin merry-go-round before relapse set in. Feeling that old chase again was not good. And that small taste of it just illustrated for me how much I do NOT want to go back to that dark place ever again. If that means staying on subs forever, so be it.

As for the suboxone handling the post-op pain, well, it's not very easy to make a clear determination, because as I went back on the subs I was also healing more and more. But I can say that when I re-inducted (re-induced?) my pain did NOT get worse. And that's gotta mean something...I'm not sure what, but I'm not going to question it.

Lastly, I want to thank all of you for the support and kind words you've provided. You really did help me through a tough time.

Mel