It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Okay so, I've been taking suboxone tablets since I started. I had adverse reactions to the strips. Basicallyou, this month my doctors nurse is on vacation. She knows what to write me. Another nurse wrote out my script. It said something like
"Suboxone SL tab: 2mg/.5"

Anyway, I take it to the pharmacy, by my doctors (far from my house and town) and they put it in. My insurance wouldn't cover so I had to pay out of poclet until the PA goes through.
So, I pay and get the meds.
When I get home I notice they gave me SUBUTEX not suboxone generic tablets.
I call my doctor and they seem okay with that, they figured the pharmacy gave me what was cheapest. But to be sure, I called the pharmacy to make sure.

It seems these pharmacist techs don't know what they're talking about. (I asked to speak with a pharmacist but she insisted she would take care of it) I explained they gave me just subutex and not suboxone. She goes to look at the original script and says "it's okay, that's what they wrote. They wrote suboxone tablets"

I tried to explain it's not the same because it doesn't contain the naloxone, but they weren't understanding. Ugh. I just don't want to get into trouble or something.

Has this happened to anyone else? My doctor always signs the "may substitute" but it seems this wouldn't apply since one contains an extra ingredient (naloxone) and the one they gave me doesnt.

I only picked up 6 tablets out of 45, and would honestly prefer the ones I was prescribed because these taste like butt lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, you were given the wrong meds. They will do the same thing, but some docs don't like prescribing plain buprenorphine (the proper word for Subutex, since 'Subutex' is a brand name of a medication that no longer exists in the US) because they think anyone getting it will use it to 'get high'. Yes-- doctors who are supposed to understand what they are prescribing often have no idea how buprenorphine works, thinking that naloxone is needed 'for the ceiling effect' or to 'reduce the euphoria'.

The ignorance over buprenorphine has even led one state (Kentucky) to ban the medication. I don't see Kentucky exactly leading the battle for truth and knowledge with this particular issue!

The pharmacist should be aware that there are a few people out there with true allergies to naloxone. The anti-buprenorphine crew likes to downplay the issue, but I have a patient who has broken out 3 times when prior docs forced her to take Suboxone or generic bupe/naloxone.

You SHOULD get an apology-- but these days the pharmacists aren't all that friendly to their Suboxone customers. The tech didn't seem concerned, but the state pharmacy board probably would see this as a significant mistake-- so if they give you any hard time, make it clear that you will be sending in a complaint.

Good luckk!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:41 am 

I'd trade places with you if possible. I don't need the naloxone in my Suboxone. It is there so addicts won't shoot up or whatever else the company told them. And like Dr. J said, I did have one doctor say that the naloxone prevents other opiate pain pills from working. They surely didn't read up on how it works.

On my next Dr's visit I'm going to ask for the generic Subutex and see what happens.

r

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I use to take the bupe back when I was young and pregnant (I wanted to just go cold turkey but a doctor insisted I should stay on the meds.) I was 16 at the time, and just getting off drugs.
It's not that I mind having the bupe, because I know it does the same exact thing... I am just scared that they are going to pin it on me when someone catches the mess up. I feel like I tried to alert everyone I could (the doctors office, and the parmacy.. I even called another pharmacy location to check with them)...

I don't have any more med's to take beside these so I'm kind of stuck taking them (instead of holding onto them when the mistake is realized) but I'm thinking when I get more med's in a day or 2 that I can ask for the right medication to avoid receiving more of this and making it look like "that's what I wanted"
I've read stories where pharmacy workers mess up and put all the blame on the patient. I found it sad I tried to explain the difference and this pharmacy tech did not understand.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah I'm actually concerned because I've held off on getting my wisdom teeth pulled due to being freaked out by the pain. I also have held off on other dental work because I know I can't take anything to manage the pain (on top of me already being scared of the dentist lol)
Luckily all my wisdom teeth so far have come in straight

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:22 am 

Hey Sabrina, I totally understand why ur worried about this, I'm a huge worryer too lol. Honestly it sounds to me like u took the correct steps in alerting who ya needed to. U can't go without ur medicine either so I would take it like u normally would. Especially if the doctor is open to substitutes. In the end, it's still buprenorphine so ur not gonna fail a drug screen and ur still taking ur medicine. Whenever u see ur dr again, tell him or her again....I'm pretty sure you've done what ya can do at this point. So ur not doing anything wrong. Hopefully you'll get this straightened out.