It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:04 pm 

I don't know if anyone has seen this, but a Walmart pharmacy tech from Alabama decided to complain about her addict customers in a song that parodies Adele's "Hello" song.

I was particularly teed off about the song listing suboxone in the same list as oxycodone and vicodin. As if taking suboxone is the same thing as taking our drugs of choice. She belittles chronic pain patients and addicts alike. Because she actually has a very nice singing voice, over 2 million people have viewed the song and love it.

Some see the song as a harmless parody, a funny attempt at blowing off steam. But think about it. It's not like addicts as a group get anything but stigma and negativity from the general public. We all have experienced the knowing looks and the disrespect from pharmacists and doctors. I think this song goes too far.

Someone started a petition to get this girl fired from her position. I don't necessarily think she should be fired or have her license revoked, but it would be nice if she realized the pain she has caused many people and the stigma she perpetrates.

Here is the link:

https://www.change.org/p/alabama-board- ... m=copylink

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:18 pm 

Hi Amy, I did see this on facebook a few weeks ago. I emailed Walmart and suggested that this young lady receive some additional training regarding suboxone and how it saves peoples lives. I have not heard back from them. Thanks for bringing it to the attention of this forum!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

totally messed up. yes, fired-- let her find a job somewhere that doesn't deal with health issues. No place for those attitudes in healthcare-- period.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:21 pm 

Sarah Brand's facebook page says that she quit because Walmart was giving her a hard time. It's quite obvious by the things that she says on her page that she doesn't think that she did anything wrong. She quotes the Bible and thinks that she is being persecuted for being funny.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:02 am 

I love a happy ending.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:07 pm 

This just makes me extremely frustrated. I am glad this employee is gone. Us addicts aren't crazy, we know there's plenty of pharmacy employees out there that see addicts as less than, but don't publicly do it without expecting backlash.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:54 pm 

One of the statements she has made on her facebook page is that addicts have chosen to be addicts.

Now, I don't know if anyone, even the researchers at NIDA can pinpoint the point at which a choice to use substances become an addiction. It's probably not very cut and dried. We all know that we made a choice early on to numb the pain with opiates. I have heard that for some addicts it only took one use to make them addicts, especially heroin addicts.

Sarah Brand is young. I'm sure she's not more than 25. I would never wish addiction on Sarah or her close family and friends (or anyone for that matter), but I do think she needs 3 ghosts to come and visit her and help her understand what being addicted is like.

She says the same thing about obesity. It's a choice. That's very easy to say for people who come from families where everyone is naturally thin. I come from a long line of overweight people on my mother's side of the family. I'm not heavy enough to be limited in my activities, but I'm overweight. My mother was definitely morbidly obese. For me to be thin (which for my build) would be about 155, I would have to make the decision to move a mountain every day. People like Sarah move a molehill every day. I'm not making excuses and I'm not saying that I cannot be thin. But people who only have to move molehills every day to be thin, should not be judging those of us who have to move mountains to get to the same place. The same genetics that can pre-dispose us to be susceptible to being addicts, dictate that I will never be a size 4. At my thinnest that was just not my body type.

Can't we all try to be more understanding of people who are different than we are? Can't we all be more kind?

That's my public service message for today. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:16 pm 

Her support group is now sending me messages on facebook with veiled threats about how they're going to mess with me.

She's super nice! And so are all of her friends! :roll: :roll:

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HAHA she has a support group. Sorry I think that is so funny. Not the video per se but that she has a support group to get her through this Walmart Job.

Sorry.. I am still laughing over here.

Sarah I hope you find another job that you can sing about . Preferable one not in the pharmacy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:12 pm 

Maybe her & her friends don't wanna mess with u and ur "drug addict friends" Amy lol! Since her views are so negative about addicts, instead of seeing stay at home mothers and hard workers, they'll think we're gang members breaking out of prison lol.....

After I read and posted on this thread yesterday, I watched the video on YouTube (I deactivated my fb a yr ago because of the stigma associated with addiction in this small town and all I was seeing was ppl I'd known my whole life bashing addicts and I just said screw it and deactivated it). The comments ppl were making on YouTube supporting this lady and her "song" was truly annoying to me. I think it's safe to assume that even though she quit Wal-Mart pharmacy, I'd like to think that she probably didn't have much of a choice in the matter. What she did and said was flat out wrong and offensive, so how they are sitting debating with ppl is crazy to me. She didn't win this fight, she lost her job and probably won't get hired by another after all this.....so in my eyes she can have any opinions she wants but u can't go online to millions of ppl and be downright offensive and not expect others to voice their opinions and be so upset that ur friends are threatening to mess with ppl......lol how old are these ppl Amy? 12?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:14 pm 

Well she wanted to be famous and now she is. Sorta. Well said Jenn....