It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Pharmacy/Pill Count
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I wanted to let people know what happened to me last week so it doesn't happen to anyone else. I often get broken suboxone pills in my new prescription bottles. I'd never counted my pills before but did this time and realized there were 9 short. I went back to the pharmacy the next day to let them know. I didn't have any expection they would give me 9 more but wanted to let them know they should have 9 extra when they do inventory or someone took them. What I found out is that they have a machine that counts and fills the bottles and everytime something drops, it's counted as 1 pill. All the little broken pieces were counted as 1 full pill thus was 9 short. The pharmasist handed me 9 more without question. I've wondered from time to time why it seemed I was a few short pills and now I know why. I don't know if any of you get broken pills but if you do, make sure you count them. I'd do it before you leave the pharmacy, not all of them will be as willing as mine was to hand me more of them.

Christine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Vikeslady,

Glad your pharmacist gave you those nine without question. As we all know most won't. I pesonally know of someone working at the pharmacy I go to that was stealing narcotics from peoples prescription. She would fill the bottles and slide a couple in her pocket. She would do this all day long and come home and sold the pills. She eventually got fired. When I heard about her I was pretty shocked and upset so I made sure that I counted all my meds before I left the pharmacy. Most pharmacist will not give you any missing pills once you leave. I wonder if someone is dropping and breaking them on purpose so they can stash a few in their pocket and count the chips as an actual pill? Anyway, thanks for the heads up and glad you got everything straightened out! jlb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The pharmacy I go to give me my prescription of 30 8mg subs in the original container it was shipped in so i can always count on my sub count to be correct. Thanks for the info on that issue.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello

Thanks for the post I never thought of that and will start counting my pills now for sure. I can't believe I never thought of it considering the first 5 years I did pills I got them from a pharmicists! LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:29 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Yup, I ALWAYS count my pills. MY husband gets his Methadone from CVS (he takes it for pain) and one time his bottle looked shorter than it usually is. He counted them and there were 15 missing. He called and of course they treated him like an addict and were rude to him. Until they called back 15 mins later saying they recounted everything and they DID in fact short him 15 pills. They kept apologizing over and over. We don't use that pharmacy anymore.

I used to get broken pills when I got them shipped from Reckitt Benckiser when I was in the PAt. asst program.

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

WOW :shock: You are very lucky that pharmacist did that for you. I am sure that many would have told you to go away, with that look. You know what I mean.

I have received a few pills from time to time that had chunks broken off. It hasn't mattered to me too much because I always seem to end up with a few extra pills at the end of each month anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

When my doc first gave my my script last month (yes, I'm a newbie), he said to ALWAYS count them at the pharmacy counter unless they are in the sealed pharmaceutical company container. He also told me to treat the script like gold. I guess there are many people in Columbus looking for these and the street value is incredibly high. I had no idea.

Needless to say, I always count them at the counter, and luckily have never had an issue (although this is only the second time I've filled them)

Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My pharmacy generally gives me the sealed bottle of 30 if the scrip is for 30 or multiples of 30. I'm pretty sure they hand count or at least start with a full bottle for more than 30. Only had cracked pills once or twice (only Subutex, never w/ Suboxone) but was never short.

Post subject: counting
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:42 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks for this info--it never occurred to me to count my pills for any medication but I'm sure such mistakes do happen and it's true too there could be someone working in a pharmacy who would skim off pills. I'm just surprised that the pharmacy in Vikelady's post above replaced the missing pills without question--RTLmom's story of her husband's pharmacy sounds more like what we learn to expect...I got my refill today and I decided to count my pills at the counter, just to make sure. It only took a minute after all and now I'm certain I have the right quantity. They're so expensive, for one thing, besides that running through a script early can mean other trouble, I just decided it was worth checking.