It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Pharmacy Issue
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:24 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello, I'm new to this site, but have been viewing recovery sites for awhile now. After 5 false starts, I've finally found the wherewithal to stick w/ my Sub programs for have been clean going on two & an a half months. See the Dr weekly, and checking in w/ my sponsor. At my last Dr visit , I was given a month supply of Subs For the first time . Because of the price, I've only been able to buy 6-8 at a time from Walgreen. For the last two weeks , all was well. Today, I went to pick up another 6 sub and was told it was to early to get them. The pharmacist refused my request saying I should still have a few left. Ok, fair enough. My question is, why is this pharmacist who is new to me, regulating when I can buy. I could have purchased the entire amount ( 60) but the cost prevented that. Why now after two weeks of going every two or three day. Some of my income comes from tips, that's why I've been going every couple of days.

Post subject: Re: Pharmacy Issue
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome mrstayclean! I can't be a great help here but seems to me like you should be able to fill however many u want whenever you want for the month ontil the script is filled. I've had times where the pharmacy didn't have all of the suboxone so I filled half the script then cam back in a few days and filled the other half. Don't see why your pharmacist is trying to regulate how many you fill and when, did you just tell him your trying to get as many as you can while you have the money once he told you that you should have some left?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:38 am 

Hello, Welcome! I do believe that since suboxone is a drug that is so regulated they must follow the same protocol for all controlled substances. So, it goes like this...if you fill a 30 day script on june 1 you can not refill until June 28. If you pick up a six day supply on June 1 you can pick up more on June 6. Does that make sense? I hope that I explained that well! So, it just means that if they give you 30 days you can't come back for more before the thirty days. Same for if they give you five days, you can't come back before the fifth day. Sometimes with a month's supply they will let you refill one or two days earlier. Please, keep posting so we know how you are doing! Have a wonderful day!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:10 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Doesn't make sense to me, as long as you don't ask before month script is up, but of course I'm not a pharmacist and don't know the rules. One time I went to Walgreens to pick mine up after my doc called and said he called them in, the pharmacist said my docdidn't callthem in yet, t, so I called doc and he said he did. I went back the next day, they were just out of them and instead of telling me the truth, they blamed it on my doc lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey MrsSC,

I had no experience w partials but have read pharmacy boards where pharms get frustrated w how hard it is track cash paying partial multi refill clients, some also choose to use their own discretion if they think you are refilling too early and some are just jerks. Is your dose enough to cover you? are you buying the cheapest bup? Using a coupon for suboxone? I think you can use it 4? times/mo for partials, the # is in tiny print on back of card.

Does anyone know - For any who take bup, is there a way to find out partial refill laws in the state of residence? Michelle alludes to this. I tried looking up my state and was unable to find it but it must exist somewhere.

These are 2 interesting links from this forum:

Partial refills
partial-refill-law-sub-t10245.html?mobile=desktop

Walgreens
walgreen-pharmacy-idiots-t10463.html

An excellent poster Raudy said on another thread just how much of a wonder drug bup is for opiate addiction and I second these thoughts . Hope you can make bup a priority and stabilize on it for a longtime and get your life back on track. Wishing you my best, P

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:24 am 

Since I pay cash I don't get all of my medicine filled at once either. I always get 2 weeks worth wandhen I get my script then go pick the rest up within 8 days after I get the rest of the money for all of it. I've never had any issues picking them up earlier, I don't usually wait til it's been 2 weeks because I don't like leaving my medicine in there like that cause I worry about everything lol. The only time I was questioned about it being early was when a new girl thought she couldn't give it to me before the 2 wks were up, but when she talked to the pharmacist everything went fine. This isn't a huge pharmacy like Walgreens though, so that could make a difference. Imo I feel like if u have a script saying u get x amount, but can only pay for half, then u should be able to get it out whenever u want. I mean that just makes sense to me, but I guess that different places have different ways of doing things. I do understand how stressful it could be on the pharmacist to have someone picking up a few at a time throughout the month though, maybe that's another reason why some choose to do it that way but it'd still be the same outcome.

I think after u establish a relationship with ur pharmacy, things tend to go a lot smoother. It's almost like them getting to know u. As far as the laws or rules for that, I have no idea, but my pharmacy doesn't make me wait to fill the rest of my medicine....hope I don't jinx myself by saying that lol and everything change :)